Well, it's been a while...but I have good news... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Well, it's been a while...but I have good news...

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 07-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #16
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123
If i only had money
oh come on bro. this kit is perfect for you (and me) for that exact reason:

You don't have to come up with 2200k+freight for a stroker in one shot.
You don't have to come up with 3000-3800k for a supercharger
You don't even need the full ~1500k for Bryson's set-up right away

.... just save ~$400 for the end of the year, buy his tubing than get the rest of the parts as your budget allows. I'm getting real excited about this concept. It's perfect for people on a budget. I read an article on the sts remote turbo bolted onto an f-body, and the results have me sold on the idea (well ok, I'm still a little scared about the air filter placement, but the rest of the concept makes allot of sense)

urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #17
kingofthehill
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'll most likely be buying this (327 idea fell through) it sounds like a good Idea but I'm gonna try and mount the turbo off the manifold first though (I dont care about ac) but this sounds easier to me I want pics as soon as you get some made tough
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #18
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban-yan
oh come on bro. this kit is perfect for you (and me) for that exact reason:

You don't have to come up with 2200k+freight for a stroker in one shot.
You don't have to come up with 3000-3800k for a supercharger
You don't even need the full ~1500k for Bryson's set-up right away

.... just save ~$400 for the end of the year, buy his tubing than get the rest of the parts as your budget allows. I'm getting real excited about this concept. It's perfect for people on a budget. I read an article on the sts remote turbo bolted onto an f-body, and the results have me sold on the idea (well ok, I'm still a little scared about the air filter placement, but the rest of the concept makes allot of sense)

Theres other benefits as well...such as Gas mileage VS a stroker/supercharger. If the motor is tuned right, and driven conservatively you should see a mpg near stock. Also, the power potential is much greater than a typical stroker or SC.

I am still worried about the intake location, but I'll figure out something. I actually think an inexpensive aluminum flex tube will allow the filter to remain in the engine bay. However, I'll have to figure out if the intake tube will interfere with the charge pipe though since they would both be routed on the same side. It might also be possible to squeeze it by the front driveshaft, but I'd rather stay away from that.

99 chilipepper red XJ: Race car tow rig. Turbo project in the works.

Head of Core production - www.CortekSystems.com
Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #19
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Let's just say if you can fashion a way to keep the air intake under the hood than my commitment has gone from 99.9% to a theoretically impossible 1000%. lol

In fact, I could probably retain a large portion of my AFE air intake (the filter, pre-filter cover, and super-snazzy heat shield). It would also make sense for me to finally install those Pontiac GTP Hood vents sitting in my basement (it would seem pretty stupid to mount them if the filter went under the truck).

If I could make one suggestion. Maybe you should offer two variants of your kit:
01) a standard priced kit where the filter goes under the truck
02) a premium kit with tubing that retains the filter under the hood. Personally, I'm willing to pay extra for that option (come on man, I live in snowy-canada)

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #20
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Let's just say if you can fashion a way to keep the air intake under the hood than my commitment has gone from 99.9% to a theoretically impossible 1000%. lol

In fact, I could probably retain a large portion of my AFE air intake (the filter, pre-filter cover, and super-snazzy heat shield). It would also make sense for me to finally install those Pontiac GTP Hood vents sitting in my basement (it would seem pretty stupid to mount them if the filter went under the truck).

If I could make one suggestion. Maybe you should offer two variants of your kit:
01) a standard priced kit where the filter goes under the truck
02) a premium kit with tubing that retains the filter under the hood. Personally, I'm willing to pay extra for that option (come on man, I live in snowy-canada)

Yeah I truely hate the idea of having the air inlet located undeneith the chassis, exposed to the elements. I'll do whatever I can to come up with some way to get it back into the engine bay.

You know, honestly I think I'm going to be selling the peices of the kit individually, as well as offering a group price. That way you can get only the parts that you want/need.

Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #21
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hey Bryson, I was talking to my buddy about your remote turbo project,
and he reminded me that 505 performance offers a remote turbo that
runs under the hood. The real advantages include: 1) much less custom
piping 2) the air intake/ turbo stay under the hood (no dirt in the intake,
no water on the turbo).

only, perhaps, you could build a setup that stays on the right hand side
in an area around the airbox/ intake manifold. It would look much cleaner
than the 505 set-up.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...rbo/index.html

Unread 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
kingofthehill
1990 XJ Cherokee 

with the exhaust going by the oil pan that would just make it harder to lower and it would put exhaust heat on both sides and under the engine I think putting the turbo on the other side of the engine is stupid

what if you made the exhaust manifold point towards the front of the jeep and moved the power steering somewhere else or would the routing the power steering lines be to much of a strain on the pump... screw it just modify your fender well to fit a normal tubular manifold

one more question bryson would it be easier to route charge/intake piping in a 2wd model I know there is no front driveshaft to deal with and if I was just making the xj for track only wouldn't it be easier to route the intake through the floor and up the dash to end up somewhere on the cowl (by the windsheild wipers) with a little scoop? Idk I just got the idea from some off road racing show I was watching where they routed the intake into the drivers compartment so it would pick up cleaner air
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
hey Bryson, I was talking to my buddy about your remote turbo project,
and he reminded me that 505 performance offers a remote turbo that
runs under the hood. The real advantages include: 1) much less custom
piping 2) the air intake/ turbo stay under the hood (no dirt in the intake,
no water on the turbo).

only, perhaps, you could build a setup that stays on the right hand side
in an area around the airbox/ intake manifold. It would look much cleaner
than the 505 set-up.
The 505 kit technically isn't a remote mounted kit. If this were the case, all subarus would be considered remote mount . A remote mounted turbo setup is really anything that mounts the turbo outside the engine bay.

Trust me though. I've spent a long time thinking about building a kit similar to 505's, but there are just way too many things I don't like about it for me to look otherwise. Those reason are:

- Theres no easy way to get the exhaust routed around the bottom of the motor without having to either make major changes or having it be a potential clearance issue for something else.

- Having a very hot turbo on the same side as the distributor major electrical components, and A/C is just asking for trouble. It also makes routine maintence a pain in the *** (changing plugs, cap/rotor/wires...ect).

- It severly limits the turbo size. The largest turbo you could really run is a small T3. The T3 super 60 505 runs is a VERY small turbo for a 4.0l motor. By having a remote mount kit, the turbo size can range from a very small T25 up to a large T4 which allows the end user to be able to find a power band that fits their needs.

- It limits the down pipe size to about 2". My remote mount kit will have a 3" down pipe right off the turbo which will greatly help spool and overall power.

- The possibilities of running an intercooler are out the window.

Should I go on? For the price the 505 kit is absolutely horrible.

Quote:
with the exhaust going by the oil pan that would just make it harder to lower and it would put exhaust heat on both sides and under the engine I think putting the turbo on the other side of the engine is stupid

what if you made the exhaust manifold point towards the front of the jeep and moved the power steering somewhere else or would the routing the power steering lines be to much of a strain on the pump... screw it just modify your fender well to fit a normal tubular manifold

one more question bryson would it be easier to route charge/intake piping in a 2wd model I know there is no front driveshaft to deal with and if I was just making the xj for track only wouldn't it be easier to route the intake through the floor and up the dash to end up somewhere on the cowl (by the windsheild wipers) with a little scoop? Idk I just got the idea from some off road racing show I was watching where they routed the intake into the drivers compartment so it would pick up cleaner air
Trust me...The remote kit will fit everyones needs. It may sound a little iffy right now, but I can assure you once you see the completed product you'll love it. I'm not someone to over look something. The way I designed it, there really isn't any major changes that will be required to the factory engine layout, or anything else for that matter.

While it definetly would work, it honestly would just complicate everything for no real benefit.

I am planning on a 3" intake tube from the turbo all the way back to the engine bay which will utilize the factory airbox or cone filter. If a 3" intake tube won't fit, we can always run a reducer to a smaller tube. We could easily run a 2" intake tube to the turbo without affecting much.

Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #24
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
The 505 kit technically isn't a remote mounted kit. If this were the case, all subarus would be considered remote mount . A remote mounted turbo setup is really anything that mounts the turbo outside the engine bay.
I guess you're right... but I have difficult time calling it a standard turbo if it's not bolted onto a custom header (much less accepting the 505 price... for something comprised of some generic parts/ no real header)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Trust me...The remote kit will fit everyones needs. It may sound a little iffy right now, but I can assure you once you see the completed product you'll love it.
you made allot of great points in favor of your rmt set-up, but you'll have to forgive me for being squeamish until its running. What can I say, I trust you, but I scare easy.

Unread 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just an update: It looks like Bryson has finally done it! How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

well, ill be damned.
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #27
-XJguy-
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Fantastic fabrication.
Navigator for Team#11 Hurst/Olds on Spike TV's Bullrun. The real winners.
-XJguy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #28
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys.

I don't normally frequent this site all that often anymore (obviously) so thanks for posting that up Alex!

Manifolds are now available @ www.Boostwerks.com

Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Thanks guys.

I don't normally frequent this site all that often anymore (obviously) so thanks for posting that up Alex!

Manifolds are now available @ www.Boostwerks.com
No problem! I actually heard about your update from a friend who saw it on naxja and told me I had to look at it. I then realized it was you and basically crapped my pants.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.