Wacky Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Wacky Steering

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
iggys
1986 CJ7 

Wacky Steering

New to the CJ7 world and trying to end the "white knuckle" steering quality of my new-to-me '86. I know that it has been lifted 2.5" by spring and .5" from a 4" shackle. I want to replace the 4" shackles with stock 3" (greasable type?) to return the front castor and to level the rear pinion which is pointing slightly "up". Does this sound plausible? I've also looked into shimming as well. The jeep does have 33" tires. Been studying all the forums here with much satisfaction and have learned ALOT in a short time. Thanks to you All.
Iggy

iggys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

I'm suprised that no one has posted to your post.

I have a 84, CJ7 with 33 and a 3" lift, manual steering. I have over 220K on the jeep and have replaced my steering gear box twice. If you have a manual steering on your jeep you may need a new gear box.

It is simple to check, have someone move the steering wheel side to side while you look at the pitman arm. If you see any side to side movement of the shaft at the bottom of the gearbox you need to replace it.

Dont mess with the rear end shims. I had to add a 3 degree shim to mine to keep the U joints from failing every 5k miles. The lift and the 33's will make your ride a little squirelly.

Also check you tire wear. I run about 25lbs of pressure in my 33's. I drive over some dirt and then check the coverage of the dirt on the tread. If I dont see all the thread on the tires covered I adjust pressure untill my tires are running flat on the road.

Of course other things may need to be looked at. tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar etc, may also cause white knuckle driving.

Since you didnt tell us what is really going on I can only give you my experience with my 84.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.