Underdrive pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Underdrive pulley

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Pizza Man!

Underdrive pulley

Does anyone know of any aftermarket underdrive pulleys/power pulley kits for the 4.0L I6? The reason I ask is that I was planning on replacing my direct drive fan with an electric, and a guy I work with mentioned the pulley set-up he has on his CRX, and for the price he was talking about it sounded like a good mod. Not only will it free up some power, but it'll save me some gas too.

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Pizza Man! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nope... no company's make underdrive pulleys for the 4.0's.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Rock Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Nope... no company's make underdrive pulleys for the 4.0's.
underdrive pullies are a bad idea, i want my water pump, power steering pump, and alternator doing their jobs.....

i dont see anyone but ricers saying "i want my engine to run hotter, i want it to be harder to steer, and i dont want to be able to use my head lights and windshield whipers at the same time"

its what i really comes down to. Theres plenty of ways to safely get more power out of your motor.
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealcherokee
underdrive pullies are a bad idea, i want my water pump, power steering pump, and alternator doing their jobs.....

i dont see anyone but ricers saying "i want my engine to run hotter, i want it to be harder to steer, and i dont want to be able to use my head lights and windshield whipers at the same time"

its what i really comes down to. Theres plenty of ways to safely get more power out of your motor.

Yeah I agree. Wheeling would be all out hell with an underdriven alt. pulley and waterpump.

I would put them on my Mustang though. It sees more than enough RPM's to keep the waterpump and alt. turning fast enough to do their jobs.

But not the Jeep.

All the pulley sets ive seen consist of a crank pulley, waterpump and alt pulley... just FYI. Havnt seen any with power steering pulleys. Maybe thats what the ricers use though, havnt paid attention to their stuff... hahaha. Wouldnt doubt it though.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Rock Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Yeah I agree. Wheeling would be all out hell with an underdriven alt. pulley and waterpump.

I would put them on my Mustang though. It sees more than enough RPM's to keep the waterpump and alt. turning fast enough to do their jobs.

But not the Jeep.

All the pulley sets ive seen consist of a crank pulley, waterpump and alt pulley... just FYI. Havnt seen any with power steering pulleys. Maybe thats what the ricers use though, havnt paid attention to their stuff... hahaha. Wouldnt doubt it though.
my jetta had a set on it when i bought it. junk.....effin 12.9v at idle....didnt hit 14 until about 3000 rpm
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Pizza Man!

Well, I wondered about that too, because I know my engine was designed to run at lower RPM's, and ruduced coolant flow and voltage were the first things that came to my mind. And yeah, a ricer did tell me about underdrive pulleys.

But if it were possible to source some aluminum pulleys that had the same dimensions of my steel ones would that be something worthwhile?

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

Unread 06-28-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
Rock Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man!
Well, I wondered about that too, because I know my engine was designed to run at lower RPM's, and ruduced coolant flow and voltage were the first things that came to my mind. And yeah, a ricer did tell me about underdrive pulleys.

But if it were possible to source some aluminum pulleys that had the same dimensions of my steel ones would that be something worthwhile?
nothing you'd notice. the pullys weigh near nothing now, saving the 2 oz would not be worth the money
Unread 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #8
Pizza Man!

Cool. This guy was telling me that the pulley he put on his Honda was like 8# lighter than stock. That sounded fishy to me.

Unread 06-28-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
Rock Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man!
Cool. This guy was telling me that the pulley he put on his Honda was like 8# lighter than stock. That sounded fishy to me.
he probably has a lightened aluminum flywheel to go with it, usually the lighter flywheel and pullies are grouped into one sum....

my jettas pullies and flywheel were something crazy like 4 or 6 lbs (total, not lighter)

the thing was so easy to stall because it had no rotational mass
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Pizza Man!

So the long and short of it is that this is not the way to go for power or fuel economy. Got it. Thanks Teal. I'm learning a lot on this board, but I think you've taught me more than most people here. Thanks for putting up with my newb questions...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.