Underdrive pulley - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-27-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Pizza Man!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 282
Underdrive pulley

Does anyone know of any aftermarket underdrive pulleys/power pulley kits for the 4.0L I6? The reason I ask is that I was planning on replacing my direct drive fan with an electric, and a guy I work with mentioned the pulley set-up he has on his CRX, and for the price he was talking about it sounded like a good mod. Not only will it free up some power, but it'll save me some gas too.


99 XJ Sport, auto, np231s, sittin' stock K&N drop-in filter, ventshades.

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress
Pizza Man! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-27-2006, 09:36 PM
XJ4oh
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hot & sunny south..
Posts: 4,465
Nope... no company's make underdrive pulleys for the 4.0's.

'97 XJ... 4.0 4x4 AW4. 2" budget boost w/t-case drop.
31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer ST's on 15x7 Cragar Soft 8's.
Intake, Ported TB, TB spacer, Super 40 Flowmaster.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Rock Kustoms
Registered User
 
Rock Kustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Nope... no company's make underdrive pulleys for the 4.0's.
underdrive pullies are a bad idea, i want my water pump, power steering pump, and alternator doing their jobs.....

i dont see anyone but ricers saying "i want my engine to run hotter, i want it to be harder to steer, and i dont want to be able to use my head lights and windshield whipers at the same time"

its what i really comes down to. Theres plenty of ways to safely get more power out of your motor.
Rock Kustoms is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 PM
XJ4oh
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hot & sunny south..
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealcherokee
underdrive pullies are a bad idea, i want my water pump, power steering pump, and alternator doing their jobs.....

i dont see anyone but ricers saying "i want my engine to run hotter, i want it to be harder to steer, and i dont want to be able to use my head lights and windshield whipers at the same time"

its what i really comes down to. Theres plenty of ways to safely get more power out of your motor.

Yeah I agree. Wheeling would be all out hell with an underdriven alt. pulley and waterpump.

I would put them on my Mustang though. It sees more than enough RPM's to keep the waterpump and alt. turning fast enough to do their jobs.

But not the Jeep.

All the pulley sets ive seen consist of a crank pulley, waterpump and alt pulley... just FYI. Havnt seen any with power steering pulleys. Maybe thats what the ricers use though, havnt paid attention to their stuff... hahaha. Wouldnt doubt it though.

'97 XJ... 4.0 4x4 AW4. 2" budget boost w/t-case drop.
31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer ST's on 15x7 Cragar Soft 8's.
Intake, Ported TB, TB spacer, Super 40 Flowmaster.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Rock Kustoms
Registered User
 
Rock Kustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Yeah I agree. Wheeling would be all out hell with an underdriven alt. pulley and waterpump.

I would put them on my Mustang though. It sees more than enough RPM's to keep the waterpump and alt. turning fast enough to do their jobs.

But not the Jeep.

All the pulley sets ive seen consist of a crank pulley, waterpump and alt pulley... just FYI. Havnt seen any with power steering pulleys. Maybe thats what the ricers use though, havnt paid attention to their stuff... hahaha. Wouldnt doubt it though.
my jetta had a set on it when i bought it. junk.....effin 12.9v at idle....didnt hit 14 until about 3000 rpm
Rock Kustoms is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Pizza Man!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 282
Well, I wondered about that too, because I know my engine was designed to run at lower RPM's, and ruduced coolant flow and voltage were the first things that came to my mind. And yeah, a ricer did tell me about underdrive pulleys.

But if it were possible to source some aluminum pulleys that had the same dimensions of my steel ones would that be something worthwhile?

99 XJ Sport, auto, np231s, sittin' stock K&N drop-in filter, ventshades.

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress
Pizza Man! is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Rock Kustoms
Registered User
 
Rock Kustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man!
Well, I wondered about that too, because I know my engine was designed to run at lower RPM's, and ruduced coolant flow and voltage were the first things that came to my mind. And yeah, a ricer did tell me about underdrive pulleys.

But if it were possible to source some aluminum pulleys that had the same dimensions of my steel ones would that be something worthwhile?
nothing you'd notice. the pullys weigh near nothing now, saving the 2 oz would not be worth the money
Rock Kustoms is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Pizza Man!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 282
Cool. This guy was telling me that the pulley he put on his Honda was like 8# lighter than stock. That sounded fishy to me.

99 XJ Sport, auto, np231s, sittin' stock K&N drop-in filter, ventshades.

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress
Pizza Man! is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Rock Kustoms
Registered User
 
Rock Kustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man!
Cool. This guy was telling me that the pulley he put on his Honda was like 8# lighter than stock. That sounded fishy to me.
he probably has a lightened aluminum flywheel to go with it, usually the lighter flywheel and pullies are grouped into one sum....

my jettas pullies and flywheel were something crazy like 4 or 6 lbs (total, not lighter)

the thing was so easy to stall because it had no rotational mass
Rock Kustoms is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Pizza Man!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 282
So the long and short of it is that this is not the way to go for power or fuel economy. Got it. Thanks Teal. I'm learning a lot on this board, but I think you've taught me more than most people here. Thanks for putting up with my newb questions...

99 XJ Sport, auto, np231s, sittin' stock K&N drop-in filter, ventshades.

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress
Pizza Man! is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
GM alternator pulley ? Indy General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 0 11-03-2008 09:59 AM
Anyone ever use a pulley with a winch?? bman9089 General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 10 09-10-2007 05:47 PM
underdrive/performance pulleys 955speedCh Street Jeep Forum 4 05-21-2007 02:43 PM
underdrive/performance pulleys 955speedCh Engines & Drivetrain 2 05-10-2007 02:47 AM
Underdrive Pulley..... Rufies97XJ Engines & Drivetrain 5 07-22-2003 07:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome