turbo xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > turbo xj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

turbo xj

what all is involved in turboing a 98 xj? larger injectors...adjustable map sensor..turbo...intercooler..bov..waste gate...custom exhaust manifold..

im sure it requires more..and how much boost is safe on the stock 4.0? i would be interested in running 6-10 pounds..thanks alot

jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
what all is involved in turboing a 98 xj? larger injectors...adjustable map sensor..turbo...intercooler..bov..waste gate...custom exhaust manifold..

im sure it requires more..and how much boost is safe on the stock 4.0? i would be interested in running 6-10 pounds..thanks alot
im sure you'd be good running 6-8 psi with a decent tune.

adjustable MAP sensor wont cut it, you will probably need at a minimum a 1-2bar map sensor to adjust for the boost pressure.

the exhaust manifold and turbo placement is the biggest hurdle in my opinion...there really isnt than much room. search back through the street section a littlebit and look for the thread on building a turbo XJ, theres alot of information about some of the problems that have come up
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

alright thanks for the info man...im not seriously considering it right now but its an idea ive tossed around for the future and wanted to know what i would be getting into
jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of money if you want to do it right. If your jeep is 4wd it will be a tight fit. Ditto the intercooler, even if its 2wd. Im looking at adding a Volvo front air damn to have somewhere to put a fmic. Larger injectors definitely, around 36+. A guy that goes by bryson has claimed to be close to having a "production" turbo manifold ready for the XJ soon. Hes been close for a couple years now, and last I heard would want to charge around 700. People ahve done it, another familiar name from here (csaddict) also got one running and has a little info over on NAXJA. Im waiting on getting a real job so I can pour money in the whole thing to know its done right.

Projected date of completion - lol

www.jeepstrokers.com
seanyb505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
yottabit

Does anyone have any definitive info on how much hp the 4.0 bottom end can support in stock form? Also how many rpm it can turn?

1988 Merkur XR4Ti, it's easier to list the things that are stock: 2.3 long block, turbo
yottabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

stock bottom end could possibly handle 350 with a good tune...

as for RPM's....anything past 5200 is pointless
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
scrapinrocks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when i turbo'd my 4.0 in my yj i just ran an FMU. stock injectors are working fine. not sure what OBD2 will think of the fmu, but it has been workin great for me. Im running 6psi with no IC. I had no room. I will be running a water/meth injection set up this summer
scrapinrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

pictures?.
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
H1Recovery
2013 JK Wrangler 

pics and details?
I do stuff... 2000 XJ, 32" BF Goodrich KM's, 3.5" RE Lift, vented hood, Racing Radiator, Tranny Cooler, 4.56, stock axles, rear disc conversion, skid plates, rock sliders, cold air intake and throttle body spacer, delta headlights w/ 55w HID's, front bumper.
H1Recovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Jeepenjimmy440
1998 XJ Cherokee 

make sure u get a wide band air fule gauge to watch the air fule ratio make sure you dont lean out, you may want to add some injecters on a pressure switch, you can buy them at napa, they come on when you hit a certon amount of boost
Jeepenjimmy440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.