To street or not to street ????????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > To street or not to street ?????????

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

To street or not to street ?????????

So i am considering taking a perfectly good 4X4 and making it less useful what were the reasons that made some of you guys lower your jeeps? Other than it looking sweet that is. The reason that i am thinking is because it is my DD and i cant afford to be breaking stuff 4X4ing also don't have the cash to lift it Should i do it?

blue92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
bluballer
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Most people with Jeeps Street them anyway, now don't think because it is street you won't spend money or possibly break it...it can happen especially when you start tinkering with your drivetrain for performance.....you don't have to lower it for it to be a street jeep....Keeps some meat on your rims and you can have the best of 1 world and a good bit of another LOL Whatever you decide good luck with it!!!! Nice start with whatever you decide!!!
Street Jeep tip #1: The more inspiring your ride the more you'll get hated on by simpletons.

Haters only link: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...98_76_full.jpg
bluballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
So i am considering taking a perfectly good 4X4 and making it less useful what were the reasons that made some of you guys lower your jeeps? Other than it looking sweet that is. The reason that i am thinking is because it is my DD and i cant afford to be breaking stuff 4X4ing also don't have the cash to lift it Should i do it?
Most of us run stock height, so our Jeeps are every-bit-as-useful as any stock XJ. Some guys have lowered Jeeps through necessity; they simply cut their front coils to balance out their rear leaf sag.

Secondly. I really hate the term "street jeep". I have no idea why, but it makes people think we're a bunch of morons trying to ruin the XJs original intent. MOST of the guys here just want to improve our daily driver (a little more power, a bit more braking, better shocks, more light, a better stereo, etc...)

urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So are you saying you want to lower it?

My reasons for lowering it are.... ummm.....uhhh, it makes it look alot better, looks real good with a saggin rear end.. It seems like it handles alot better too....

CLASSIC TOY
1968 Chevy C-10 short bed
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
350 TPI | WS6 | 48k original miles | Flame Red Metallic

SOLD: 94 cherokee | Lifted | Locked
SOLD: 97 TJ | 33's | 4.56's | :(

Searching for an Ls-1 Rx-7 project....
skyjacked94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I actually dont know if you should lower a 4wd, I dont know if the drivetrain will rub on anything in front. The rear will lower itself if your not lucky. I dont think flat leaves help it handle any better.

Projected date of completion - lol

www.jeepstrokers.com
seanyb505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Keep the bump stops where they are and the drive train won't rub. Don't lower unless it is sagging to begin with.
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks i dont think im gonna lower it any but i will get new rims something other than soft 8's iv had it for a year now and its only seen dirt or mud twice so i see no sense in lifting it or anything. what kind of lightbars look good on a stock height Cherokee. i need a home for some KC daylighters
Unread 04-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
kingofthehill
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban-yan View Post
Most of us run stock height, so our Jeeps are every-bit-as-useful as any stock XJ. Some guys have lowered Jeeps through necessity; they simply cut their front coils to balance out their rear leaf sag.

Secondly. I really hate the term "street jeep". I have no idea why, but it makes people think we're a bunch of morons trying to ruin the XJs original intent. MOST of the guys here just want to improve our daily driver (a little more power, a bit more braking, better shocks, more light, a better stereo, etc...)

it is just a bad idea to lower an xj they are really just not made for it with the exception of leveling everyone seems to realy like the sway bars but what I am going to do is get some 2-3" front lifting springs and cut them so that the XJ is back at stock height and should get me a much stiffer front spring rate at least I think somebody disagree with me if you know why not I would like to be stoped before I do something stupid and waste any more money and for the rear someone mensioned fiberglass mono leafs and I checked it out and they seem to be a good idea I'm not sure though

yeah I don't like the term "street jeep" either it makes me think of bluballer's jeep and that is not my style I like the term "sport utility vehicle" much better(would have said sport suv but realized that sounded stupid) but "street jeep" does rhyme so I guess that is the reason we are called "street jeeps"

Most of the people on this forum don't want their XJ to be a street only vehicle they want to enhance the XJ's strong points while eliminating weaknesses like cornering (on the normal xj forum there is a guy who just tried to turn around and rolled his XJ so I would say that cornering is a major weak point)and lack of top end power (mostly do to areodynamics)

most of us want to still be able to drive off road but it is not our main goal. Most of us want a great daily driver one that is comfortable but can show some muscle when the time comes. We want to be able to tow our toys but have fun with our XJ when the twisty corners come.

there are extremists (like myself) who only want more power and handling ride quality be damned! and good looks are one of the last thing they think about or those who want to be surounded by luxury and could care less about 1/4 mile times

but most of us fall in the middle (I think) and would like an XJ with nice looking interior and be able to tear it up when the time comes so when I hear "street jeep" it is kind of like hearing "ricer" or "rat rod" and I am kind of insulted

I guess that I should have just said I agree with urban but I wanted to make it more clear well

sorry all for the long *** post but you should all know by now that I do that a lot anyway
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
kingofthehill
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
thanks i dont think im gonna lower it any but i will get new rims something other than soft 8's iv had it for a year now and its only seen dirt or mud twice so i see no sense in lifting it or anything. what kind of lightbars look good on a stock height Cherokee. i need a home for some KC daylighters
how many KC's?

if it is not to many then you could just mount them on the bumper it would look pretty good IMO
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
yeah I don't like the term "street jeep" either it makes me think of bluballer's jeep and that is not my style I like the term "sport utility vehicle" much better(would have said sport suv but realized that sounded stupid) but "street jeep" does rhyme so I guess that is the reason we are called "street jeeps"

Most of the people on this forum don't want their XJ to be a street only vehicle they want to enhance the XJ's strong points while eliminating weaknesses like cornering (on the normal xj forum there is a guy who just tried to turn around and rolled his XJ so I would say that cornering is a major weak point)and lack of top end power (mostly do to areodynamics)
Its a Jeep, not an SUV. As for the guy that rolled it, he must have been doing something stupid.
Unread 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
blue92cherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

just got 2 6in kc's... and 2 smaller lights i am going to try to fiberglass into the bumper. kinda going for the wrangler looking bumper im not sure how that guy rolled his he said he was doing a slow u turn and it upshifted makes no sense to me. sounds more like he gunned it when he was u turning i suppose excessive lifting and removing swaybars really makes something less useful. so instead of cutting front springs for leveling wouldn't it be better to fix the rear leafs? i think bluballers looks good... i dont plan on going to that extent but it looks good
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #12
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, fixing the sagging would be the ideal route.

Got a link to the roll? I can't seem to find it.
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
Yes, fixing the sagging would be the ideal route.
x2. The reason I did what I did is because cutting the fronts is significantly cheaper ($0) compared to buying new leaf springs. (>$0)

kingofthehill, please use some punctuation. It would make my life much easier lol..

Projected date of completion - lol

www.jeepstrokers.com
seanyb505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
bluballer
1990 XJ Cherokee 

LOL A rose by any other name.....LOL You can call it what you want....
Street Jeep tip #1: The more inspiring your ride the more you'll get hated on by simpletons.

Haters only link: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...98_76_full.jpg
bluballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
x2. The reason I did what I did is because cutting the fronts is significantly cheaper ($0) compared to buying new leaf springs. (>$0)

kingofthehill, please use some punctuation. It would make my life much easier lol..
x2 on the cheaper part.. My jeep looked like hell with a low back and and a stock front end, so I chose the free route and lowered the front.. I have no regrets at all..

CLASSIC TOY
1968 Chevy C-10 short bed
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
350 TPI | WS6 | 48k original miles | Flame Red Metallic

SOLD: 94 cherokee | Lifted | Locked
SOLD: 97 TJ | 33's | 4.56's | :(

Searching for an Ls-1 Rx-7 project....
skyjacked94xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.