Street Jeep Buildup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Street Jeep Buildup

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
spitfirees20

Street Jeep Buildup

Alright, well after 8 months of hard work, it's finally almost done! I have been building a street jeep, just to see what it could do. Here are my stock specs:

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
4wd
4 Door
5 speed (AX-15 maybe)

I was given the jeep and 2 4.0L renix engines from my dad, and we decided to build one of them up. The one that came out of the jeep had 130,000 miles on it, so we started with that engine. We tore it down, and did a fresh rebuild. Hone the block, clean everything, new gaskets, piston rings, reground crank, a typical rebuild. Then I decided to get some stuff for more power Here are some of those things:

- Ported/polished the stock renix head
- Had the head shaved for a higher compression ratio
- Artsound bored throttle body
- Fram Air Hog Filter / Modified Stock Air Box
- 274/280 Erson Camshaft

These I have started but are yet to finish:

Update: These are all finished

- Modified stock air box
- Daytona Turbo 500 Muffler
- Custom bent s-pipe
- Hi flow cat
- Map sensor

Here's a quick rundown of how the engine installation went:

may 18, 2006: Got the engine hooked up, no sensors or vaccums hooked up... started up for a second, ran awful, then died
may 20, 2006: Hooked up all of the sensors and vaccum lines, started it up. It ran awful, wouldn't rev past about 1,800 rpms. The gears wouldn't really pull except fifth. To give you an idea of how bad we're talking, we took it out on the road. We raced a lady in the jeep up a hill... she won... she was walking
may 23, 2006: Lined up the distributor, hooked up a diagnostics tool to the computer, set the sensors, and finally found the problem: a clogged catalitic converter. It was sitting for awhile, and everything inside broke apart. We just took everything in the exaust from the s-pipe back off.
may 24, 2006: Test drove the jeep, drove it home, started installing the stereo

So that's where I am as of today. I did the first real test drive today, and with only the s-pipe and no cat/muffler, this thing is loud. It pulls pretty darn good, I really need to get the other mods done and get an exaust system on it to test it out though. I'll keep you guys updated, tell me what you think / potential quarter mile times. Thanks!

Last edited by spitfirees20; 06-04-2006 at 10:20 PM..
spitfirees20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet. Why didnt you go the stroker route while it was torn down?
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Rock Kustoms

yeah honestly man, you made a 19 second jeep into a high 17/low 18 second jeep....

unless you mean street jeep as in daily driver, then awesome, nice, reliable jeep
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
n20jeep
Web Wheeler
1993 XJ Cherokee 

good work so far....
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
MidnightRacer

It's a nice start...Why did you not put a stroker in it while you had it tore apart???
MidnightRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
spitfirees20

My dad had already bought the reground crank and said no on the stroker... and low 18 second jeep? I hope you're joking. I don't get how you regard the HO as so much better than the renix... do you know how easy it is to trick the renix computer? It also had extensive headwork done. Besides, this thing pulls hard, and I have a low 16 second grand marquis that it can beat, so it's not pulling low 18's / high 17's.
Unread 05-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
so it's not pulling low 18's / high 17's.

I agree on that. If youve got headwork done to it, a cam, intake and exhaust mods I dont think theres any way itd be that slow. The gap between non-HO and HO 4.0's is only like 13 hp or so, easily made up with the work you have done.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Unread 05-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
spitfirees20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
I agree on that. If youve got headwork done to it, a cam, intake and exhaust mods I dont think theres any way itd be that slow. The gap between non-HO and HO 4.0's is only like 13 hp or so, easily made up with the work you have done.
Thanks for backing me up, I figure that. My grand marquis weights close to 4,000 pounds, has 190 horsepower stock, and has an automatic 4 speed transmission, and runs 16's all day long. He's trying to tell me that my jeep, which probably weights 3,300 to 3,400 pounds, has well over 200 horsepower, plenty of torque, and a 5 speed manual transmission, is going to run over a full second slower than that... Some people, it's funny. If you don't have any experience with it, I prefer you don't pollute my thread and all of the hard work I've done.
Unread 05-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
n20jeep
Web Wheeler
1993 XJ Cherokee 

personally in my own experience.....ive had 3 different xjs....2 of them had the renix (my 89, and 90)...and the newest one has the H.O...(93) and i think stock for stock the renix has alot more *** down low than the H.0.
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
Fast Kawasaki

with being fairly light, and having head work (shaved head=big plus), you're probably looking at a solid 15. Regear it, put limited slip in the back and reconfigure the computer and you may hit low 15s maybe even high 14s
Red Jeep Club Member #340
White Jeep Club Member #187
Fast Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Rock Kustoms

youre hysterical....first of all you didnt mention the head work

secondly, have you seen my build up thread???

as far as the head work, what have you done....theres no way your hitting 15's. maybe with a ported head, and a good valve job youll get into the 16's

dr dyno and i have strokers, with ported heads, both HO motors, (mines running off renix) his best track time is mid-high 14's
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealcherokee
youre hysterical....first of all you didnt mention the head work

secondly, have you seen my build up thread???

as far as the head work, what have you done....theres no way your hitting 15's. maybe with a ported head, and a good valve job youll get into the 16's

dr dyno and i have strokers, with ported heads, both HO motors, (mines running off renix) his best track time is mid-high 14's

Dude im not tryin to call you out or anything, so no disrespect... but...

In his first post he said that he had the head ported/polished and shaved for more compression.

Everyone has seen your thread, and I garuntee you its sparked quite a few people into modding their 4.0's...

I dont see why 15's arent possible, if hes faster than that low 16 second Crown Vic, than hes either running high 15's or right around 16. Being a 5 speed helps him out also.

Dr. Dyno, aka Dino ran a 14.3x as his best time so far. Thats low 14's there. Thats almost a full 2 seconds faster than what spitfirees20 is claiming, definatly shows the extra work in his engine. Then again, the only thing spitfire is missing is the bottom end work.

Again, not trying to call you out or insult you, but I dont think you should be ragging on this guy for what he and his dad just proudly did themself.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
spitfirees20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Dude im not tryin to call you out or anything, so no disrespect... but...

In his first post he said that he had the head ported/polished and shaved for more compression.

Everyone has seen your thread, and I garuntee you its sparked quite a few people into modding their 4.0's...

I dont see why 15's arent possible, if hes faster than that low 16 second Crown Vic, than hes either running high 15's or right around 16. Being a 5 speed helps him out also.

Dr. Dyno, aka Dino ran a 14.3x as his best time so far. Thats low 14's there. Thats almost a full 2 seconds faster than what spitfirees20 is claiming, definatly shows the extra work in his engine. Then again, the only thing spitfire is missing is the bottom end work.

Again, not trying to call you out or insult you, but I dont think you should be ragging on this guy for what he and his dad just proudly did themself.

Exactlly, thank you for that. Dino's site is where I got almost all of my info from, and I've done almost everything that he has done sans the stroker. He's running a 14.3, and somehow I can barley break in the 16's? Honestly, that makes no sense at all. I'm still working on mine, but i'm hoping for a solid 15, and I know that's possible. If you say otherwise, you're defying logic, and you're just wrong.
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #14
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
Exactlly, thank you for that.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Unread 05-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #15
Rock Kustoms

i missed the part about the port and polish, that helps alot....

take it to the track, post the slip, i bet 16.00+

honestly, my girls beetle, is lighter, more aerodynamic, and geared better, it runs a 15.6, and has 181 hp at the wheels, you prolly have around 160-175 wheel horse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.