Stock TJ - then what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Stock TJ - then what?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
PapaBean

Stock TJ - then what?

Newb would like thoughts/opinions on what are the basics (besides tires and wheels) from taking a Stock TJ with a clean bill of health to a Street Machine running 33s or 35s. Would add the fun stuff (bumpers, lights etc.) and "bling" piece meal, just would like to have a "grocery list" of things needed from the start - and would like to hear what you did or would do in a build - thanks!

PapaBean

PapaBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Probably the biggest decision is the lift height/tire size. With 33s or 35s it'll drive WAY different than it does now. With each inch you go up and in tire size you increase, there's a trade off in acceleration, handling and braking. What looks cool in the parking lot could be a clumsy whale to drive. Not only do you have the drivability consideration, you have more tech issues to deal with the higher you go as well as the price tag that goes north rapidly. Things like replacing control arms, t-case drop, sway bar changes. You can get away cheaply with a 2 to 2.5 lift which will get 32s under it. In my opinion, start small, get used to it, learn more and see if you want to go higher in a year or two. Nothing worse than spending big bucks and be unhappy with the results.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First of all, there's a big difference between 33s and 35s, so make up your mind.
Second, don't buy a half *** lift because its cheap.
Here's a rough list of things you'll need:
33s:
Wheels
Tires
Swaybar links
Coils
Quality Shocks
Trackbars
Mml or SYE and DS because tcase drops are hideous
Control arms with JJ or similar
ZJ tierod

35s:
All of the above in addition to:
Brakes
Full steering like currie
Higher clearance fenders to minimize further modifications.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
First of all, there's a big difference between 33s and 35s, so make up your mind.
Second, don't buy a half *** lift because its cheap.
Here's a rough list of things you'll need:
33s:
Wheels
Tires
Swaybar links
Coils
Quality Shocks
Trackbars
Mml or SYE and DS because tcase drops are hideous
Control arms with JJ or similar
ZJ tierod

35s:
All of the above in addition to:
Brakes
Full steering like currie
Higher clearance fenders to minimize further modifications.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
If its a street machine, why use Johnny joints? OEM bushing style transmit less vibration and cost less to replace. And the fender flares are really option too. Everything else, I'd agree on.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

And keep in mind you'll be straining your rear axle with larger than stock tires. The d35 rear is a notorious POS and may break on you, even on the street. And you'll need to invest in a gear ratio change, unless you want your jeep to be slow as molasses and get poor fuel mileage.
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

First, don't go bigger than 31s if you know nothing. Don't go beyond 33s if you only know some. Beyond 33s you better know a lot about what you are doing. There are huge trade offs as you go bigger. If it's a toy to be seen in and to take the kids for ice cream, better give it some thought how big you go. Nothing worse than dumping big bucks into it only to find out you have wrestle a bloated whale around your streets.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.