start of death wob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > start of death wob

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
urmthemad

start of death wob

I have 2011 jk recently lifted 2.5 and in the last 3 weeks had start of death wob. 18000 miles, front axle only off center 3/16 or so. Everything tight.Lower front control arm issue? Any suggestions?

urmthemad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
george29223
1978 CJ5 

balance tires
george29223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

Lower it
jonifun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
HandsOn

Since it's still relatively new (including the tires presumably?) and the DW's are just starting, I would rotate the tires front to back and see if that helps.
Even though in extreme cases you can still feel it in the rear, if it's only one bad tire causing the issue then it should go away as long as that tire stays on the rear axle. If it gets rotated back to the front axle, you'll just get the same symptoms starting over under the same circumstances.

At what point is it starting currently? Just when you get to a certain speed on the same road? Any time? Or somewhere in-between?

Good luck. It's not fun, but it can be fixed.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Desertgirl03

Like was suggested earlier rotate the tires and see if it stops the DW. If it doesn't your steering stabilizer probably needs to be replaced. Was it replaced when the lift was done? Does it DW at any speed or does it start at somewhere around 50-54 MPH. Jeep Wranglers developed harmonic resonance at 52-53 MPH. On an exceptionally smooth road you may be able to drive faster before it starts but as soon as you hit a bump...there it is. Over the years I've had to replace mine a couple of times. You can get a replacement steering stabilizer for $35 - $75.00 (depending on brand and quality level) and it takes less than 1/2 hour to do.
Desertgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
LJMJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check the alignment, especially Toe. If it was a little out, it may be way out after the lift. Too much toe in will certainly set you up for DW.
LJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
eastcoastcam
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the previous post. Get an alignment. After installing the lift, your first stop should be the alignment shop. If your DW doesn't go away after that, start looking at other things, have your tires balanced & rotated, check trac bar bushings, compare the angle of the trac bar to the draglink, they should be parallel to each other for proper steering geometry. Do not replace your steering stabilizer to cure your DW. This is NOT a cause of it, and replacing it will only hide it for so long. If all your front end is good, tight, & properly aligned; your steering stabilizer would not really be necessary.

Last edited by eastcoastcam; 03-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: more info
eastcoastcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
tjrubicon2010

I am having the same problem on lifted 08 rubicon I suspect it a toe problem in the alignment as well I will update as soon as I have a six
tjrubicon2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
reaxion911

A friend of mine was having the same issue on his jk. After a 3" lift and an alignment. Turns out it was his front axle u joints which he took back to chrysler and had replaced under warranty.
reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.