Soft Top Wind Slap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Soft Top Wind Slap

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
Barkoff

Soft Top Wind Slap

Is there a remedy from the deafening wind slap of a soft top on the highways?

Has anyone been able to get rid of this with a roof rack and wind-guard?

Thank you.

Barkoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Oldjeepman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put in a bestop liner helped a lot. and having the windows up help too..
Oldjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What year is your Jeep? I know some of the earlier Wrangler tops were more prone to whipping, but after some slight redesigns in the later models they got a lot better. Plus, the older the top, the more stretched out it will be: very hard to tighten up and quiet down. Maybe try a Top Prop to add some tension to the top? And a liner would probably help a lot as well...

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you put the AC or Heat or whatever on it will pressurize the inside of the jeep and stop the flapping. The way you can see this happening is, get in your jeep with the windows closed and the vents off. Look in your drivers side rear view at the side windows of the soft top, they will look loose and floppy. Now turn on the vents in the jeep and look in the rear view, you will see your windows start to bulge out. Once they bulge out that should cut down on a lot of the flap.
Yellow Jeep Club - #34
LJ Owners - #34

2006 6,742 Unlimited Rubicon's made
newman_buddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Barkoff

The jeep is a 2003 Rubicon, but it has been out of the sun since new, only has 5K miles, damn near showroom condition, the top is also like new, but there is a pretty good gap where the soft-top meets the tailgate.
Barkoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Try flipping the tailgate bar upside down from its current position.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I concur that running the a/c or heat blower with windows up. Also, I changed to a frameless top and it really helped in that area
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud100 View Post
I concur that running the a/c or heat blower with windows up. Also, I changed to a frameless top and it really helped in that area
Really? I think my trek top is louder than my OEM top. I miss it.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.