So i got a little ticket. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > So i got a little ticket.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #46
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bigmack View Post
Do this BEFORE you go to court if it's not too much work...

- Take a picture of your exhaust...try to make it one long shot so you can see your cat AND muffler in the same shot.

- Print off the Rusty's add for the exhaust kit you bought, receipt too if you have it.

Thatís just how it works.
Congratulations, you not only just gave him advice on how to lose the case, but also had him do all the prosecutions work for them.

Massachusetts does not allow ANY aftermarket exhausts. It doesn't matter if it's louder or softer or what. If it's not OEM it's a fine and 2 points on your license.

That's just how it works.

The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #47
tehgregzor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh View Post
We drive around with no cats/mufflers here and dont know what noise violations are.

That sucks man, sounds like a vehicle-nazi state.
Same here, in TN we have no inspections. Any regulations are just on the books, tint and stuff is usually ignored, but the cops around here do HATE the sub systems with their THUMP THUMP lol.
tehgregzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #48
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

the cop was jealous that he didn't have a jeep like yours.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #49
ajb182
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am a cop and sound meters are required for sound violations. But a muffler violation, atleast where I work in RI, is a different animal all together. The muffler statute rigl 31-23-13 states "any vehicle operated in the state of rhode island that has ANY modification to the exhaust system that causes the exhaust note to be LOUDER or HIGHER PITCHED or causes excessive smoke is a violation". just an fyi...
ajb182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #50
ajb182
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also, comments like "wave the bird to those guys" and "burn his house down"... Is that kinda stuff really necessary. its called doing our job, I love modifying my vehicles and appreceate those who take pride in thier modified vehiles, jeeps or otherwise. But laws are laws, end of story. You dont want tickets then dont have your vehicle in violation of the law simple as that. If you get caught and get a ticket its not the cops fault, personal accountability for your vehicle has to step in at some point...
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #51
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A fax machine does it's job. A photocopier does it's job. A human being has the ability to use discretion.

"Just doing our job" was the #1 excuse at the Nuremberg trials.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #52
ajmorell

I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been said already. If the officer did not measure the sound level with a calibrated measurement device he can not write you a ticket for a sound ordinance violation. He ear is not a calibrated measurement device.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #53
ajb182
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Discretion can be applied to modifying your vehicle as well. Use discretion when putting aftermarket items on your vehicle and police interaction can be avoided all together. Or dont, get stopped, get a ticket and blame the officer for not using his/her discretion.. Again it comes down to being accountable for your own vehicle and your own choices. Oh and Nuremberg trial nazi reference.. Really? You can always tell the people who have gotten or deserve to get a ticket.
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #54
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott96xj View Post
SO i go pulled over because of my exhaust, i have the exhaust kit from rustys with the flowmaster 40. The tickets for 100 because of excessive noise when im driving. Im obviously gonna appeal it, now what are somethings i should bring up, just pretty much that it is a muffler i still have a working cat, therefor its legal.
What is some good stuff i should bring up?

oh BTW i live in mass.
I got pulled over heading into Boston two weeks ago going 105, just floating along.

Cop gave me a verbal warning and asked about the new 2012 srt8. 1 decent cop in MA and I got him, should have been arrested.
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #55
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good luck getting out of it usually a cop is right no matter what which sucks but, thats the way it is. A cop can pull you over for anything and depending on the cop or what kind of day they are having they take it out on the few good people they pull over. Try to fight it but, don't be mad if you get stuck with it. A judge has to go with the cop because otherwise it would mean the cop was lying and though it most certainly was a judge can't say that because it makes the whole system look jacked.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #56
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

"how loud those harley davidsons are.
i never see any cops pulling them over for having loud exhausts.+does not allow ANY aftermarket exhausts." Same in Pa. And Riders rarely get stopped.
Just getting into jeepin' after 20 years off. I build loud bikes. I usually drill the baffles out for customers. Stock pipes, but straight thru flow. H-D charges $350 for 2 slightly louder mufflers. And now w/ injection, you need to spend another $100, if they'll do it, to reflash the 'puter. Most of the the time they don't even get you 2HP more. On a 1200cc 10HP can really wake a machine up. Luckily never a sound ticket even after setting off car alarms! My avatar is not my loudest.
hutch1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.