Which rebuild kit to buy?? - JeepForum.com
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Which rebuild kit to buy??

Yeti Paracord Handles are in at JeepHut.comFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 6th annual beat your wife to the credit cards sale!!

Unread 07-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
2002 XJ Cherokee 
Which rebuild kit to buy??

I am new to this, but here goes!!!

we tore the engine out of our Jeep Grand Cherokee and we need to purchase a rebuild kit. This is a first for us doing a newer model vehicle and I am the computer savvy yet mechanically disinclined girlfriend trying to buy a rebuild kit online. I know that it is not High Output, its a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. v8 4.7l and the problem with it was a rod bearing slipped out. We need tips/ideas on which one...

Thank you very much for your time!!!

vredenbj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
1999 XJ Cherokee 
Although kits may be available, rebuilding is quite a mech-savvy job. It's either a complete rebuild, meaning that the engine is taken into atoms, cylinders re-honed, new pistons+rings, (putting them together is a form of art on its own), rebuild the heads, meaning that valves must be set-up, the list goes on. The easiest option for you is either go to a shop that SPECIALIZES in rebuilding, and they'll do it for you. Trust me it's still better than ashamedly bringing a motor in the shop and let them puzzle it out (more hours more $). another option is install a fresher or rebuilt engine, and it possibly saves money on the long run.
A rebuild is serious matter, you can't cut corners
aronkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2002 , 4.7 liter , cherokee , rebuild , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.