Rear Breaks (or axle?) Clunking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Rear Breaks (or axle?) Clunking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rear Breaks (or axle?) Clunking

Ok, after going through 10 pages of old posts and looking through my repair manual, I can't figure out my problem.

It's only happened 3 times, twice yesterday and once today. I was driving down my driveway and I felt/heard clunking coming from the rear of my Jeep. It happened when I backed up to leave a parking lot, and it happened when I braked this morning on my driveway for a passing car.

I replaced the front disc breaks about a year ago, so it's not that, plus I'm 100% certain that it's coming from the back.

Any help on this ASAP would be great, it's finals week and I'd like to get to them on time!

oh yeah, I heard the back breaks squeaking when I was breaking downhill on my driveway this morning after washing it. (totally off topic, but if your black bumpers and door handles are looking dull, add some of that Armor-All black chrome stuff to it, totally makes it look like you drove it off the lot!)

Last edited by agie; 05-19-2006 at 11:57 AM..
agie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Rock Kustoms

wet brakes can squeek, as far as the clunck, climb under and start shaking things, report back
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sir, yes Sir!

Everything looks normal, nothing is loose or falling off. It's quite dirty under there though...it'd be nice to get all of the winter dirt/sand out of there and make it look new. but that doesn't matter right now.

Last edited by agie; 05-19-2006 at 12:22 PM..
agie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Rock Kustoms

hmmmmm, ok, so this clunking, i doubt its the break they dont usually clunk

when does it clunk, does it do it when your on and off the gas, hitting bumps....etc
Unread 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

when I'm off the gas. and it's done it on pavement and gravel.
Unread 05-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Rock Kustoms

hmmmmm

try to get some more details on when it does it, its real hard to figure out what a clunk is over the inet
Unread 05-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

will do. thanks for trying to help though. if it does it again, I'll post again in more detail now that I know what I'm listening for. hopefully it's nothing serious!
Unread 05-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mine kinda clunks (but not real loud) when i let off the gas, been that way for a while now...don't know if thats good or bad
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It happened again when I backed up to leave work, and when I rolled down a small hill. it's coming from the back, it's a grinding noise and it's kind of bumpy.
it only happens when I first start driving, it doesn't do it after I get rolling. I hope it doesn't need a costly fix, I'm a poor college student! And I hope I don't have to take it in to the dealership, there's no way I'm going to get caught driving a cheap rental POS.
Unread 05-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
Rock Kustoms

mine ticks as a start to go, its the front output bearing in the transfer case, im just too lazy to fix it (4+ hr job)

clunkin when getting off the gas is usually a rear driveshaft u joint
Unread 05-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My dad said that it could be the differential. awesome. not...
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agie
Ok, after going through 10 pages of old posts and looking through my repair manual, I can't figure out my problem.

It's only happened 3 times, twice yesterday and once today. I was driving down my driveway and I felt/heard clunking coming from the rear of my Jeep. It happened when I backed up to leave a parking lot, and it happened when I braked this morning on my driveway for a passing car.

I replaced the front disc breaks about a year ago, so it's not that, plus I'm 100% certain that it's coming from the back.

Any help on this ASAP would be great, it's finals week and I'd like to get to them on time!

oh yeah, I heard the back breaks squeaking when I was breaking downhill on my driveway this morning after washing it. (totally off topic, but if your black bumpers and door handles are looking dull, add some of that Armor-All black chrome stuff to it, totally makes it look like you drove it off the lot!)
Maybe your breaks are broke...

Blue Jeep Club Member #123

Easy to be a truck. Hard to be a Jeep.
1986Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
Rock Kustoms

its about 99% NOT your diff

i dunno what it is, but when it starts to do it more, hopefully itll be easier to track down
Unread 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
agie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My dad looked at it yesterday, and he said it's most likely the U-Joint like you said.

And now it's not doing it. Whatever...
Unread 05-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
isezumi00

MOst likely a U joint....If youve mashed your skinny pedal too much what can happen is you blow the retaining clip and cap off one or more of the ends of the Joint. Then the ear floats in the yoke and any time you change direction it taps on side or the other. You can technically run with it for a very long time, but youll eventually need to replace it before it ruins the yoke.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.