Racing my friends Mustang. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Racing my friends Mustang.

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #61
fokus83
2007 KJ Liberty 

let's clear a few things up here. I realize that there are a lot of arrogant Mustang owners that think they are the fastest car on the road... they aren't. That said - having owned 16 Mustangs I can tell you that bone stock performance varies greatly. An 87 - 93 5.0 automatic is good for mid 15 second times as it rolled off the assembly line... 15+ years ago. This is the exact same performance that an '05+ V-6/automatic Mustang is good for, whereas a '95 3.8 V-6/auto Mustang is a high 16/low 17 second car. The SN95 ('95 - '95, and '96 - '98) Mustangs with the 5.0 or the 4.6 2v are also mid 15 second cars, stock. Once you get into the '99+ 4.6 cars the slowest ones run low 14's and the quicker stock versions with a decent driver can get mid 13's.

Once you start modifying them they get fast... very quickly. $1000 in mods to a $2500 '89 5.0 will have you running high 12's easily. Even the V-6 can move. My '06 4.0/auto with 3:73's, a tune, intake, exhaust ran mid 14's with a full leather interior and every available option.... with no traction. my best run was a 14.49 with a 2.6 second 60ft time on street tires. If I could have hooked up I would have been close to a 13 second time slip.

The point of my response is - if you want to know if you can beat your friends Mustang - take him to the track and find out. If you win... you've beaten your friends Mustang. Do not assume you can beat every Mustang or that they're all slow... that's not even close to the truth. If you lose, oh well. You lost to a "muscle car" in your SUV. Challenge him to a race through a cornfield and see who wins. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Unread 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #62
fokus83
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
lol v6 mustang vs a 4.7....duh the jeep will win
Why? No mods for either vehicle were mentioned. It the 3.8 Mustang has 4:10's, a tune, and intake, full exhaust like a large number of V-6 Mustangs that are looking to race then it would be close with some advantage on the side of the Mustang.
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #63
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokus83 View Post
let's clear a few things up here. I realize that there are a lot of arrogant Mustang owners that think they are the fastest car on the road... they aren't. That said - having owned 16 Mustangs I can tell you that bone stock performance varies greatly. An 87 - 93 5.0 automatic is good for mid 15 second times as it rolled off the assembly line... 15+ years ago. This is the exact same performance that an '05+ V-6/automatic Mustang is good for, whereas a '95 3.8 V-6/auto Mustang is a high 16/low 17 second car. The SN95 ('95 - '95, and '96 - '98) Mustangs with the 5.0 or the 4.6 2v are also mid 15 second cars, stock. Once you get into the '99+ 4.6 cars the slowest ones run low 14's and the quicker stock versions with a decent driver can get mid 13's.

Once you start modifying them they get fast... very quickly. $1000 in mods to a $2500 '89 5.0 will have you running high 12's easily. Even the V-6 can move. My '06 4.0/auto with 3:73's, a tune, intake, exhaust ran mid 14's with a full leather interior and every available option.... with no traction. my best run was a 14.49 with a 2.6 second 60ft time on street tires. If I could have hooked up I would have been close to a 13 second time slip.

The point of my response is - if you want to know if you can beat your friends Mustang - take him to the track and find out. If you win... you've beaten your friends Mustang. Do not assume you can beat every Mustang or that they're all slow... that's not even close to the truth. If you lose, oh well. You lost to a "muscle car" in your SUV. Challenge him to a race through a cornfield and see who wins. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Now there is an intelligent post on the subject! And for those non-believers, my stroked Jeep will not hang with my slightly modified GT. Then again, my Mustang will get stuck in a well manicured lawn.
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #64
KevinM90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My 4.0 xj has a flowmaster 40, k&n, 3.73 gears and 31's..one day I was talking in class about passing some old bat, and a kid with a neon decided to ask me to race, apparently I was saying its fast. His neon has the 2.0, 5 spd, cold air intake, some performance exhaust and that was it. I dropped it in to 1-2, and completely demolished him off the line, and then i put it in 3rd and continued to smoke him by about 2 car lenghts at 1/4 mile. Another friend has a 05 mustang (4.0) with flowmaster and CAI..I can get him off the line, and run with him right till about 65, which is when everything starts to shake and make noises I dont like to hear.
KevinM90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #65
TripEph
1983 CJ7 

a lot of talk of getting sideways...
not in my 83 cj

but sometimes in my DD
TripEph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #66
scoot08
2004 WJ 

well are you going to tell us if you raced him... im not bashing the mustangs but maybe he is afraid that you could keep up or beat him... i would like to know the outcome
scoot08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #67
n20jeep
Web Wheeler
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot08 View Post
well are you going to tell us if you raced him... im not bashing the mustangs but maybe he is afraid that you could keep up or beat him... i would like to know the outcome
X2 on that.

one night i went out to race a couple mustangs. and after running (and beating) one of the foxbodys, i couldnt seem to get anyone else to run me

everybody hates losing to an XJ...i used to have a couple people that actually wanted to kick my *** for making them look stupid
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #68
racerdude_9
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bahaha thats why i like the soccer mom wagon. no one wants to loose to it, and black with some wheels u can make them look pretty nice. and no one would suspect a jeep to be quick. but a un governed grande cherokee v8 hauls a**. and the little 4.0l i6 runs quite quick to. beats all my buds chevy's. thats why i love my jeep. im thinking of going to dodge and buying the replacement powerwagon decal that u see on the tailgates of the dodge powerwagons and putting it on the tailgate of my jeep. it would look slick. its almost a wagon lol. sry for the rambling.
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #69
90limitedxj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

you'll win. a couple friends of mine already had this race
90limitedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #70
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your friend is right, a Mustang would win hands down. Problem is, when he opted to get a V6, he opted NOT to get a real Mustang!
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #71
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

I had to post this as I got in a stupid interstate race with a 06 or so Mustang on i95 ( I wont say where on i95 but there was nothing around for about 200 miles ) I am assuming stock mustang, as I know as mention here before stangs can be fast if they want to be. So we were at a rolling start of about 75 this ahole had been trying to egg me on figuring his bad *** mustang would blow me way. An Audi A4 also decides to get on this action. Well we get going and I now up to about 105. got a good 2 carlengths on the stang and the A4 is neck to neck with me. I then up to about 120 the stand is now about 2 1/2 lenghts behind he would gain some and then fall back a bit as I accelerated. Surprisingly the A4 was still by my side.though it drops back as it looked like his front wheels started to shake (allingment issue ?) But then time I pushing 135 ( I had the governer taken off while ago ) So I though I was pretty bad *** in my stock 99 WJ Limited then out of no where was a Jeep Commander with a 5.7 Hemi pulls up besides me he waves and starts to slowly pull head. beaten by a Hemi sigh. On my jeep everything was pretty much stock other then the governer being taken off and I had put a KN drop in filter over using paper air filters.

Though on the subject of idiots in perceived to be fast cars. I notice alot of these younger kids will think there stuff is the **** but are totally clueless about regular maintance. I keep my engine and components spotless on the outside for Car Show Ready and spotless in the inside where it counts when you need to put a mustang in its place. One kid I meet had owned his stang he talking about this and that and said how he changed out his oil for AMSoil and how he been a year with out changing it out. (I love AMSoil by the way) anyway he said he did a K&N drop in air filter like what I have. I said how long do you go before you clean it. He laughed at me and told me you dont clean KN filters they good for the lifetime of the car. I just said yeah and slowly walked away. I dont care how much HP you have or if your dumping spray into if your an idiot then your going to drive like and idiot which means your going to loose to a any jeep any day .
Jawa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #72
ClockStoppa
1999 WJ 

ha

I actualy own both cars except my mustang is a convertable, and my WJ is a 99, me and my wife do it all the time. The jeep wins till about 40 then mustang passes around 45... both have custom exhaust and K&N and larger tires, so have fun with it, only do it on a street where u will have to slow down and u will own him... lol
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #73
cheesehead74
2000 WJ 

Just remembered this topic today. I did win if anyone still cares.
cheesehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #74
YellowWrangler

Sweet, nothing like beating a crapstang!
YellowWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #75
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowWrangler View Post
Sweet, nothing like beating a crapstang!
I bet a V6 mustang would beat the **** out of whatever you drive.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.