Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Street Jeep Cherokee

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  scjeep47HO 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have two white Jeep XJ's that I am making into 1 Bad *** Street Jeep. I want to meet in the middle between power and gas mileage. I need lots of ideas so I dont leave anything out! I am stripping interior and prepping for full electrical rewire (fatter audio speaker wire, video, rear camera for reverse, rear defrost & wiper, lights) - dont let me forget anything! After that will be body work and chrome - After that - headliner, new carpet, and limo tint! Ive already gone with 235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers - keeps that rugged look, Im not trying to make a low rider, just a 21st century vehicle in the beautiful shell of an 80's XJ! Any comments,ideas, suggestions will be appreciated!

#5 ·
i think a RE audio XXX in a 4.5 cu ft ported box tuned into the low 30s, and two USamp MD3s on each voice coil should be sufficiant for bass reporoduction. Eclipse CD7200 Head unit, and a MD21 to power a set of XXX 6.5 comp set. i bet it would sound great

#12 ·
nitro is stupid

the only real way you can get power out of the 4.0 is to stroke it or blow it :rofl::rofl:

both are big money. you can do a budget stroker with labor for probably less than $1800. that will probably get you about 50 horsepower. if you do a big 4.7L stroker that is probably going to land you in about the $3500 range and will land you probably about 100horse. a supercharger is going to cost about $4500. and will make more than 100 horsies

combine a 4.7L and supercharger together and you get BIG power.

#16 ·
this is a different life. take a 400 small block chevy bore it 30 over. buy 406 forged pistons and a forged crank gm pink rods buy 2 200 shots of nitrous. a ford 8.8 rear end 3.88 gears. a chevy 400 tranny. and you have yourself a 10 second jeep.

nitrous isnt something to be scared of just forge everything before you spray. my friends run 12.5 to 1 and spray and blow nothing. i like pump gas i run 9.5 to 1 compression.

then ill run my s10 same set up and well see if weight matters.

#17 ·
nitrous is only stupid if you are! the average hobbyist doesn't know what the limits are when it comes setting up juice. i know strokers some what and have had a few conversations with my teachers at the University of Northwestern Ohio who built the engine that was featured in Four Wheeler last year. you'll get more than 50 horses from a budget built stroker, because its all in your head and valve train setup.
and i'm not trying to offend you, just making a statement.

#18 ·
Most of the guys on here who think nitrous is stupid probably just don't know how to use it...

The main reason people blow thier motor up when they use spray is because:

A) They spray without being at full open throttle, which will make thier engine detonate. Nitrous freezes the air, which compresses it, and adds oxygen, without being at full open throttle, there will be too much air and not enough gas. You should always mount the switch on the throttle body, and make it impossible to spray without being at full open throttle.

B) They start spraying at 500rpm and run it all the way till max RPM, which is about 6-6500 on jeeps... So buy an RPM controlled switch. You can control it so it doesn't start spraying till about 2500 rpms and stops at about 5500.

C) They run a 200 shot without adding gas. Same problem as A. Use a wet shot on anything over a 75 shot to be safe.

Hopefully that'll give you a better idea on how nitrous can be used safely. Sorry about the length of the post, but i thought i would inform some people who probably don't understand nitrous.....
Plus you can get hooked up with a wet shot for about 700 bucks, and have 150+ hp gains! :D (although you will want forged internals and a better head gasket for that kind of shot)

#19 ·
Most of the guys on here who think nitrous is stupid probably just don't know how to use it...

The main reason people blow thier motor up when they use spray is because:

A) They spray without being at full open throttle, which will make thier engine detonate. Nitrous freezes the air, which compresses it, and adds oxygen, without being at full open throttle, there will be too much air and not enough gas. You should always mount the switch on the throttle body, and make it impossible to spray without being at full open throttle.

B) They start spraying at 500rpm and run it all the way till max RPM, which is about 6-6500 on jeeps... So buy an RPM controlled switch. You can control it so it doesn't start spraying till about 2500 rpms and stops at about 5500.

C) They run a 200 shot without adding gas. Same problem as A. Use a wet shot on anything over a 75 shot to be safe.

Hopefully that'll give you a better idea on how nitrous can be used safely. Sorry about the length of the post, but i thought i would inform some people who probably don't understand nitrous.....
Plus you can get hooked up with a wet shot for about 700 bucks, and have 150+ hp gains! :D (although you will want forged internals and a better head gasket for that kind of shot)
you've pretty much summed it up...the key to nitrous is timing/ air-fuel mixture/ and common sense...

generally if you're spraying you want to find some way of retarding the timing... which really the only way i know on the 4.0 is to make an adjustable crank position sensor.

another rule of thumb is to never exceed 50% of the motors rated wheel-horse power...which will help extend the longevity of the motor.

the 4.0 can handle a decent amount of spray under the right circumstances. when i had my 90' XJ i ran through a 10lbs bottle every saturday night with jets ranging from a 75shot to 120 shot and it ran like that for months until the factory fuel pump gave out. and thats with shifting around 5200-5300 rpms.

nitrous is no worse than any other form of forced induction...its the affordability of it that gives it a bad rap. its really easy to take the cheap way out with nitrous because complete systems can be had for well under $1000. so some people generally cheap out on the tuning and other supporting modifications needed for nitrous.

and in my opinion Nitrous > Super/turbocharging for the fact that its "cheaper" and it has instant power, no waiting for any kind of boost to build up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.