My Wrangler Hot Rod - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > My Wrangler Hot Rod

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #76
somedanglurker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see why they wouldn't. The 2wds just use a straight axle with no t/case.

somedanglurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #77
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

They said no go.. for 2wd models. Also they only have a sbc swap kit of the xj. so we will see what happens. i could of swore i saw a sbf swap kit somewhere.
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #78
criicket
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton2292 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHSPnNGwm8M

last wed night 11.27 best time

I think I'm in love
criicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #79
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

just wanted to say that this thing is awesome.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #80
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3333 View Post
Personally I don't see the point in all that. Usually when people use a different vehicle's frame, it is because they are putting it on a unibody car. Since the Jeep is full frame, it seems like a lot of work to do all that. Then you have to figure out how to mount the Jeep body, run the wires, pedals, steering, etc. If you want to save time and money, you can just leave the front axle and remove the guts, drive shaft, and transfer case. But then you still have the weight of the front dif.

Another option I considered was using a Mustang 2 front end. This would be an easy bolt on, and give you rack and pinion steering and McPherson struts. You could make the Jeep into a good handling road machine!
I agree, I don't see any reason to swap the frame. We have sent a lot of power thru a stock Jeep frame and had no issues yet, so I can't see any reason to swap it out.
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #81
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3333 View Post
There's no reason you couldn't make it all fit.

Here is picture of my new plate
I never thought about putting stickers on the top of my windshield. Good idea.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #82
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As a goof, I put stickers on my Jeep last year-to give it that race car look. When I peeled them off at the end of the summer, it pulled off the paint behind them (I was planning on eventually painting the whole car in the future anyway). Anyhow, my friend that owns the fabrication shop offered to paint the whole car (I got stuck doing the sanding and prep work), but I had to promise not to put any more stickers on the car.

I figured the windshield was a safe place for me to put them since I can take them off without destroying anything.

By the way, I went out to Long Island yesterday with my new Bestop soft lower doors on. After about 40, I lost track of all the comments, thumbs up, honks, etc. The Jeep is definitely an attention getter! (Especially after I push the button and open up the headers)
Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #83
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRd_CJ5 View Post
I agree, I don't see any reason to swap the frame. We have sent a lot of power thru a stock Jeep frame and had no issues yet, so I can't see any reason to swap it out.
part of the plan wasnt just to make the frame hold power but also hold corners at high speeds. But im not going to bother with the pro-touring idea and just going to street/strip fun! After I get back from vacation in two weeks and do some work around the house i plan on trying to start bulding up my parts list to make this happen. Actually the jeep is prolly one of the last things ill buy lol.
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #84
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My good friend Bobby, the fabricator/painter/etc for my Jeep has his own shop where he builds incredible cars, including a lot of the cars that race at Riverhead Racetrack. He is so impressed with the way the Jeep turned out that he wants to build something like it for himself. He plans on building a custom frame then putting a monster horsepower small block in it and then tossing on a cut-down Jeep body.

I am really hoping that building Jeeps for this fun application becomes the latest craze. It really is fun!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean with the time thing. But you are better off doing it when the time is right so you aren't rushing it, and can enjoy what you are doing.

Best of luck and keep me posted. I will share anything I can to help you along the way.
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #85
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

yeah i priced the full "hot-rod chassis'" lol...they start around 9k bucks for a frame and basic suspension set-up. If i had the cash i would most def pick up one of them. but ill just go about the route you did and take my time with it. Thanks so much for the ideas and help lee...you will be hearing from me again I promise. lol
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #86
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How do you like your JK? They look very big. One thing that you will really appreciate with the older model is driving with the top down. I was checking out a JK about an hour ago and noticed that with the full doors and all, putting the top down is more like driving with an open sunroof. With the the YJ and CJ (and maybe the TJ), taking the top down really makes the car open. Even more so than a conventional convertible car. And when you take off the doors forget about it. It is almost like driving a motorcycle! You are gonna love it. And keep in mind that unlike typical Jeepers, we are not crawling. High speed acceleration in a totally open vehicle is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #87
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

There's a few of us here that use our Jeeps for straight line performance, so let us know if you have any questions, and I'm sure somebody will have the answer!
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #88
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry AFRd, didn't mean to forget you. It is just that straight liners and hot-rodded Jeepers are not all too common. Thankfully there are us few who are trying to pave the way for others. As I often say, Jeeps aren't just for off road anymore! And, personally, I did not choose to build a Jeep because I am especially fond of Jeeps or their body style. It just turned out to be the most practical platform for what I was trying to accomplish.

While I was out yesterday I ran into a friend that has a Factory Five Cobra. And seeing him reminded me of why the Jeep is so much better. I had room for a 40 pound bag of salt, 8 pieces of roll bar padding, upper windows from my doors, and still room for passengers. Try that in a Cobra. Plus, most car shows have several fiberglass Cobras entered. In the past 6 years I have been active in going to shows, I have NEVER seen another Jeep set up anything like mine (but there is a Pro Street good humor ice cream truck).
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #89
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

I like the JK...honestly I know some hate me for it but but I bought it because it is more suv like. I wanted the hard top...Its my daily driver and didn't want the cold and windnoise that comes with the soft top. Will I ever take th doors off? Sure at some point...but not often. I traded in a 2003 tahoe and neded something else with 4drs and room but wanted more offroad capability than my tahoe. I looked for 08 and up tahoe z71s but used they were 30k so why not spend a few thousand more and get a brand new vehicle.

I've had 2 other jeeps..a lifted xj and stock 2000 gc. I've had 2 lifted broncos...but speed is really my thing...I've had 9 mustand 2 supercharged tbirds and a modded f150 lightning. So I wanted to try something differet and that's where I foun your post lee lol. But hey AFR can you tell me more about your jeep?
Unread 06-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #90
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

I hear ya Lee3333, just seems like it's few and far between you see somebody trying to go fast with a Jeep.
Vwright14,
My Jeep is a street/sand drags/sand dunes/dragstrip deal. It was built for the street/sand dunes/sand drags, but I did try some asphalt stuff at the end of the year last year. The drivetrain was a pump gas 434ci SBC with a single plate system, th350, and D300. I was switching to a th400 and a chain drive setup for this year, but the guy didn't get my chain drive parts made in time, so I'm crossing my fingers and running 2WD this year and praying it does ok. I run custom leafs, so the suspension is quite simple. They work awesome though. But yea, any questions you have, we'll try to answer. Any pictures you want, I'm sure one of us has something for you. It'll be fun in the end, that's for sure

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.