My Wrangler Hot Rod - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > My Wrangler Hot Rod

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #61
tjindiana
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Gives me something to start with.

Unread 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #62
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Best of luck to you. It will all be worth it in the end
Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #63
clinton2292
2004 TJ Wrangler 

last wed night 11.27 best time
clinton2292 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #64
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^ Hell yeah pullin wheelies in a jeep!!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #65
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

Im toying with doing something VERY close to yours. But using a LS based gm engine ..more than likely the 5.3. with a cam,some rods,stock crank, ported stock heads and a mild home built turbo with a th350 trans....will decide if im keeping efi or go with a blow thru carb when the time comes...but with decent boost should be an easy 600hp at the wheels. I was wondering if you could give some more info on your front 2wd axle set-up. Im looking at picking up a cheap 4cyl tj since in decent shape they can be found for 2-2500 bucks around here.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #66
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sure. I am glad to see some people picking up on the Jeep idea. It really makes the perfect platform for a fun ride. Fast (mine is probably in the 11's-after I put the new shortblock in I will bring it to the track), different (lots of driving and at car shows), fun (doors and top off in the summer). What more could you ask for?

I got my front end from Speedway Motors. It was the Ford straight axle with 4 inch drop and the standard disk brakes (too cheap for the Brembo). I modified the axle pads and am using the stock front springs (with Energy Suspension poly bushings). The shock mounts had to be fabricated-and mount on the frame. I am using Competition Engineering adjustable drag shocks all around. For steering, I switched to a manual box (for simplicity). With my front skinny tires, effort is low, though it is about a million turns lock to lock. Not much fun pulling out of a parking space.

Good luck and keep me posted with info and photos. And do not hesitate to write or call me.
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #67
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah power steering im not really concerned about...brembos..nah they can keep em lol. any way you could post up some better pics of the front set-up or maybe a parts list you used? But I also have a ford 5.0 thats going to be a 347 stroker sitting in the garage i could also used, i was saving for a notchback stang project but hmmm..ya never know.
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #68
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton2292 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHSPnNGwm8M

last wed night 11.27 best time
HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!!

That thing is no joke! Nice job!

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #69
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I called Speedway Motors and they told me these were the part numbers I used:

Ford Axle 4 inch drop: 91035114:
brakes: 91031067
axle pads: 91635009
steering and brake kit: 9133902
cross steer 4.5 bolt pattern

The hardest part was mounting the shocks in such a way that they did not hit the brake line. Since the Jeep uses cross steer (better at reducing bump steer) and because the steering box is in front of the axle, I had to modify the steering arm. I faced them forward, so the one with 2 holes was on the drivers side. I cut off the extra hole to make it look better, and on the passenger side, I have the tie rod on one side of the arm and the drag link on the other side.
axle-pad-img_9497.jpg   drag-link-tie-rod-img_9499.jpg   shock-img_9502.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #70
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My Jeep wants to pull wheelies
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #71
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just add enough weight behind the rear axle!
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #72
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thank you sooo much for the info and pics. Im also going to consider doing some checking with a buddy of mine who has some hot rod chassis connections. He seems to think we may be able to swap in a subframe from another vehicle..like possibly a 2wd ranger or a 2wd XJ, which i think would take waaaay to much work but we will see. Im also considering using a 2wd XJ instead of a tj but fitting the 5.0 in that would be a pretty tight fit. The radiator and serpentin belt drive could be come an issue. This is all still on paper of course but thanks to you at least its not 20 sheets of paper going 15 different directions lol.

Vince
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #73
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwright14 View Post
Thank you sooo much for the info and pics. Im also going to consider doing some checking with a buddy of mine who has some hot rod chassis connections. He seems to think we may be able to swap in a subframe from another vehicle..like possibly a 2wd ranger or a 2wd XJ, which i think would take waaaay to much work but we will see. Im also considering using a 2wd XJ instead of a tj but fitting the 5.0 in that would be a pretty tight fit. The radiator and serpentin belt drive could be come an issue. This is all still on paper of course but thanks to you at least its not 20 sheets of paper going 15 different directions lol.

Vince
Personally I don't see the point in all that. Usually when people use a different vehicle's frame, it is because they are putting it on a unibody car. Since the Jeep is full frame, it seems like a lot of work to do all that. Then you have to figure out how to mount the Jeep body, run the wires, pedals, steering, etc. If you want to save time and money, you can just leave the front axle and remove the guts, drive shaft, and transfer case. But then you still have the weight of the front dif.

Another option I considered was using a Mustang 2 front end. This would be an easy bolt on, and give you rack and pinion steering and McPherson struts. You could make the Jeep into a good handling road machine!
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #74
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah see that's what I was thinking. The mustang II sounds like a much better idea....and honestly I would love to have a pro touring style 2wd wrangler or even if I could find it a 2wd 2dr protouring xj. There's always 2wd 4dr xjs around here but not many 2drs. I just don't fi in the 4drs very well lol. They don't have much leg room for me. I wil have to do some research on that...if I can work I could run coilovers all the way around. I could do the 8.8 rear swap and do a poormans 4link with coilovers in the rear. Might have to cut and reweld the rear inner wheel tubs if I want to put some real meats under it.

Man the wife is gonna hate me this fall/winter lol.
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #75
Vwright14
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well i have found a few 2wd cherokee's....but not a single 2dr 2wd within 300 miles of me. But Advance adapters makes just about everythign to bolt a 5.0 and aod into a XJ. The also offer swap kits for certain manuals tranny's. Just wating to hear back if the parts they make will also work on a 2wd model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.