My Wrangler Hot Rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > My Wrangler Hot Rod

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Wrangler Hot Rod

My project is well underway.

10 point roll cage going in next, along with Turbo 400 tranny, Dana 60 rear, fuel cell, etc. Chassis welds are being redone, and additional crossmembers added for strength.

Lots of parts for sale in classified, including top and drivetrain.

I know this is blasphomy for a Jeep, but it will make a great cruising machine (top down, doors off), fast at the track, and unique at car shows (who isnt tired of seeing Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, etc). It is the opposite of most Jeeps which are raised high and go slow. It is an 'Oppo-Jeep'.

Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks cool, good luck with it! What's the specs on the SBC that's sitting in the frame?

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you asked. 1979 SBC 355 cubic inches 450 estimated HP (once it is complete I have a place that will dyno it). 4 bolt main, Gear drive, Crower cam with 525 lift and 296 duration, Manly flat top pistons 030 over and I believe 10.5 compression, steel crank, polished rods, and fuely heads. Exhaust will be simple and fun-fender headers into cut-outs with extensions to make them easy to reach and open, then Summit welded turbo mufflers and a small turnout in front of the back tires. This way, no bends around the rear and no ground clearance issues. By switching the plates on the cut out from solid to ones with holes in them, I can control the back pressure and noise level. (I have used this system on other cars and it works great).

Once it is running, I can certainly play with it for more power but I want it to be reliable and streetable.

How come everybody works on Cherokee's and not Wranglers??? They have a full chassis, removable top for the fun factor, and are lighter. The wheelbase, while short, is no worse than Vegas or Pintos that were successful cars back in the day. And, once lowered, it should be as stable as any other passanger car. Seems like the perfect vehicle to modify to me, unless there is some reason I dont know about.
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
beemer_dave
1988 XJ Cherokee 

that is absolutely nuts!
no one pulls the blasphemy card on an LS1 swap, this is hardly any different.

What to you plan on for ride height?
beemer_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The straight front axle has a 4 inch drop which I will match in the rear, plus I am using 15 inch 60 series tires. I want it to be the same height as a conventional car.

that is absolutely nuts!
no one pulls the blasphemy card on an LS1 swap, this is hardly any different

Of course I know that simply replacing the engine with a SBC is nothing really different. Buttttttt making it 2 wheel drive with a stright front axle, fuel cell, battery in the back, all braided lines, 10 point roll cage, racing buckets seats with 4 sets of 5 point harnesses, fenderwell headers with easy to open exhaust cut-outs, and setting it up for drag racing is.
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
pro street jeep
1985 XJ Cherokee 

my first drag jeep was a 95 wrangler. i got tired of getting kicked off the track for going to fast and not meeting safety standards. if you plan to go to the track lots they will consider it a convertable and will have to follow those guidelines. good luck with the build it will be different and fun.
now building "prostreetjeep II"
pro street jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have already spoken to several reps from the NHRA about this. All that is required is an 8 point roll bar, but I am going with a front hoop also for 10 point. Also have a drive shaft loop. The fuel cell will be in stock location with a filler tube going to the side (not the back for less bends). Also putting the battery in the back, but here it gets a little sticky. Since there is no separate trunk, I planned on using an aluminum box and putting it next to the back seat on the tire well.

How fast did you go with yours? Any pictures or details on suspension, etc? Thanks.

Lee
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
pro street jeep
1985 XJ Cherokee 

had all stock suspension. stock cage thou. thats why couldnt run fast at the track. did alot of street racing. going to gainesville this weekend in the cherokee for some test and tune.
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
n20jeep
Web Wheeler
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro street jeep View Post
had all stock suspension. stock cage thou. thats why couldnt run fast at the track. did alot of street racing. going to gainesville this weekend in the cherokee for some test and tune.
ABOUT TIME!!!
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
pro street jeep
1985 XJ Cherokee 

been going when i can just dont post it. went two weeks ago. ran 11.72 on the motor. i work to much, but weds/nite test and tune starts back up in march.
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is finally running (cant say it is done since it will always be a work in progress)

Hard to tell from the side what year it is-side fill tank, TJ front flares and CJ rear flares (both heavily modified to fit)

Without the hood, similar to Jason's project (I included a photo of my front axle)

Last edited by Lee3333; 04-09-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Chuckwagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow... very noice
Once upon a time, there was a Bear and a Bee who lived in a wood and were the best of friends. All summer long, the Bee collected nectar from morning to night while the Bear lay on his back basking in the long grass. When winter came the Bear realised he had nothing to eat and thought to himself "I hope that busy little Bee will share some of his honey with me." But the Bee was nowhere to be found - he had died of a stress induced coronary disease. [URL="http://www.banksy.co.uk"]-Banksy[/URL]

[QUOTE=jeep-kuwait;9043889]What do you do for me so I just wanted to show you my car Kuwait with the group and thank you for your responses which would break the oars of hope[/QUOTE]
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Chuckwagon. The thing is VERY fast. It has been a long time since I drove a muscle car (24 years), and even then it was fast street cars, mostly with manual trannys. I never drove a race automatic before, nor anything as radical as my Jeep (full roll cage, bare interior, etc). It weighs 2906, with approx 710 to 750 pounds at each corner so it is near 50-50 weight distribution. And the motor is supposed to be pushing about 450 horsepower. When the drag radials bite, you loose your stomach like you are going down the first hill on a rollercoaster.
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do the front fenders being cut out like they are make it catch the wind and slow it down when racing?

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Funny you should ask. I havent raced it yet, but I do plan on going over the whole thing with fiberglass to make the front look like one piece (like the new JK's) and when I do I will round off the front. That said, many of the old drag cars had motorcycle and similar front fenders when they raced. It will only probably do about 130 for a couple of seconds so aerodynamics should not be too critical. I just dont want any lift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.