Lowered Comanche project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Lowered Comanche project

Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!All our Different Weld Washers!Panhard Parts & Kits from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
SSDD
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Lowered Comanche project

Picked up an 88 comanche for a parts hauler / daily this last weekend. 4.0, 2wd (ax15) longbed. Seems solid, needs a few things, paints faded, but I like it. I'd love to build it into a pavement pounder, From the research I've done, it seems like lowering blocks in the rear and cut coils from something else (F series?) Are the way to go, I want this thing to be low, stiff and stick to the road like glue.

I'm thinking f series coils cut down ( read somewhere when cut they're good for a few inches of drop) to give a high spring rate, Adco cherokee thick front swaybar, double the leaf pack up in the rear to stiffen it up, or add full size truck leafs with the same spring arch, and fit a cherokee rear swaybar to it. finally lower it with blocks to achieve the desired height. At that point it should be low, and stiff enough. Maybe bob the bed a little bit, then I'll throw some mustang rims with sticky tires and call it good.

Like so:

Anyone have anything to add? Something I've overlooked? Anything at all?

And just to pre-empt the naysayers, I already have a lifted, 4x4 cherokee. I don't need another off roader.

SSDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
SSDD
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So, 150+ views and no replies, alrighty then...

Anyway, made some progress last weekend. Fix the weird driveline vibe issue it had. Traced it to a destroyed U joint in the driveshaft (axle end). Pulled the cap off and the needle bearings had been turned to dust and ground up, nasty. Got a new greasable joint in and everything is smooth as silk now.

Also got my coils in the mail from Amazon (prime is amazing!) I grabbed these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C55URG/..._26725410_item for reference. They're constant rate, so I should be able to cut as much out as I need to achieve the desired height, without any weird springrate issues.

I also found these bad boys on the local craigslist. They're 2000 Cobra R rims. Hopefully they'll fit, I'm going to check fitment tomorrow night most likely.
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
JeepWranglerNation

Post Deleted
JeepWranglerNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
SSDD
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
Viewed.. Yes.. but I have a feeling most viewing.. would rather see this lifted then lowered.. But I'll grab some popcorn.. and sit a spell.
I figured as much, like I said, I have a lifted cherokee already. I don't need a gas sucking behemoth as a daily.

Got the wheels and tires mounted up tonight. Having read up about the ZJ guys throwing these and the bullitt rims on their vehicles, I was prepared going in. There's a little lip, maybe an 1/8 inch, that has to be ground down/off for the wheels to fit. Got after them with my die grinder and finished it with a pencil grinder and flapper wheel, wheels fit perfect now, and best of all, NO issues with rubbing, even at full lock! However, it most definitely needs to be dropped an inch or two, it looks kinda strange with all that wheelwell empty. Hopefully get to that this weekend
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

I'm all for lowering it, and making if faster
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDD View Post
So, 150+ views and no replies, alrighty then...
I'm watching. There's just not much to say. I do see that someone swapped 97+ side mirrors onto it at one point, painted the wheels, and that it probably had polished aluminum/chrome trim, grill, bezels at one point that were painted over as well.

Addco also makes a rear sway bar by the way. I don't have much wisdom in the ways of lowering such a vehicle properly, so that's why I haven't really commented. KJ's have a 17" wheel with the same bolt pattern (5x114.3), and KK's have 17" and 18" wheels with the same bolt pattern that you can fit perfectly. Magnum/Charger/Challenger use 5x115 bolt pattern that I've seen some Jeep guys use, but there's a debate about how safe interchanging that pattern is. I know of a few guys with 18" Charger wheels that have had them for years with no problems. I don't recall if Mustangs are 114.3 or 115.
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
SSDD
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up going with the SVT Cobra rims, they're slick and required only a little customizing to get them to fit. Some pics...

Getting them test fitted, before buying.

After getting them mounted, needs lowered BAD.

And a front shot, they're SUPER wide.

Turns out I thought they were the staggered rims, but they're actually just 17x8 all around. Super sticky

Working on lowering it this weekend.
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Looks good. How did the lowering go? Any pictures of it lowered. Man I want a Comanche.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Mine, Custom Spooling Tune - Stage 2 Performance DPF & EGR Delete, Custom Cold Air Intake , 3" Intercooler, Turbo Resonator Delete, DPF Delete Pipe, Devil's Own Methanol Injection, SM resistor plug, SRT8 rear springs, SRT8 rear sway bar; 255/70/17 Hankook ATM's, dechromed stock wheels
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

Needs more meat in the back. A bit higher profile and fatter for sure.
Unread 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
SSDD
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the long wait, I went to change the belt 2 weekends ago, and this happened. Metric 9.8 bolt and I snap it like a toothpick, never done that before...

Well it turns out they no longer make that bolt for the pre 96ish cherokees. And no one had any in stock near me, so I had to improvise. Turns out the newer cherokee use the same bolt thread pitch, it's just about 6" longer than the earlier one. So a little snip with the angle grinder, a pair of nuts and a welder and voila! New bolt, factory length.

Anyway, after a belt change, fluid change and basic maintenance weekend, I actually got around to lowering it. Ended up cutting about 2.5 coils off the front ford springs and using 3" blocks ( for the time being) to get the rear down.

Total drop: 3" rear / 1.5" front. Looks much better, could probably come down another inch or so all around, but for now I'm happy. Looking into a company called Eaton Springs out of Detroit, they can custom make damn near anything. Think they can do a 1-5" drop and anywhere from stock springrate to incredibly stiff. Probably going to go for 4" drop with +50% stiffness.

I'm also toying with the idea of a 5.3 turbo swap, which would mean a new tranny, rear axle and probably wider tires, So I may hold off for the time being on grabbing the springs, just in case I need to fab up a 4 link or something...
Unread 04-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
SSDD
1995 XJ Cherokee 

edit: space saved
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

I would drop the front more if possible and get a nice rake going. Besides that more meat in the back. That would look real sweet.
Unread 04-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Sucks about the bolt, but good thinking.

Looks good. I might go just a bit lower in the front, but should handle pretty well. Should be fun blasting around town.
A turbo 5.3 would be pretty crazy in a Jeep like yours. I would turbo the stock motor and that should be plenty of power for this light of a Jeep.
Keep up the good work.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Mine, Custom Spooling Tune - Stage 2 Performance DPF & EGR Delete, Custom Cold Air Intake , 3" Intercooler, Turbo Resonator Delete, DPF Delete Pipe, Devil's Own Methanol Injection, SM resistor plug, SRT8 rear springs, SRT8 rear sway bar; 255/70/17 Hankook ATM's, dechromed stock wheels
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.