Jeep problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Jeep problems

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
jeeps4ever

Jeep problems

Wasn't sure where to post this but I was driving my 05 jeep wrangler manual 6 speed. It was doing great until I started up a hill and shifted to fifth gear then the whole vehicle shook really bad and you could hear parts rattling. It sounded like parts were going to fall off. So I coasted to a stop When my husband got there he drove it home and it did fine. I never had a vehicle shake that bad before. What could it be?

jeeps4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
WV_Boltman
2011 JK Wrangler 

Dw?
WV_Boltman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
jeeps4ever

I bought it five weeks ago and I only got a month warranty
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
bds5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How fast were you going when you shifted to 5th you may have possibly been going to slow.
bds5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
jeeps4ever

I was going about 50-55
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
GeckoGreen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like death wobble to me. There are a few threads where this is discussed. Also some YouTube videos...
GeckoGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
oldguy387
2005 TJ Wrangler 

5th gear - going up hill?????
oldguy387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
jeeps4ever

It's a 6 speed so yes 5th gear
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
jeeps4ever

I watched the YouTube video and that exactly what it did! How do I fix that
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Beach-Head
1986 CJ7 

sounds like you should have been in 4th not 5th while going up hill. Doestnt sound like death wobble to me at all. Jeep shook because the engine was stalling

I've got no clue what I'm doing but I'm learning one busted knuckle at a time.
Beach-Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
HandsOn

Any shimmy, from mild to a full Death-Wobble would also have been felt very strongly through the steering wheel. You didn't mention that specifically, but was that aspect present?
Even though a full-blown DW will shake lots of components, it's pretty obvious that it's coming from the front end and is being transmitted through the wheel.

If that wasn't one of your symptoms, then I'd have to lean towards something else like a rear driveline issue or just a lugging engine.
I didn't hunt for more info on your Jeep, but what model, engine, tire size and gear ratio do you have? All of that can effect what was happening. And, as was said, you could have been lugging it severely even in 5th gear, under the right/wrong circumstances.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
jeeps4ever

My jeep is a 6 cylinder. Tire size 31 10.50 15. And going up a hill at 55 in a 6 gear you should be in 5 th gear right? Cus at that speed the engine would really be at a high rpm because the gears are really low.
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
jeeps4ever

And yes the steering wheel shook. It seemed like everything was shaking. It was really bad. It didn't stop til I pulled over and came to a complete stop.
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
HandsOn

Then in lieu of any other potential symptoms, I'd say you for sure experienced the DDW's (Dreaded Death Wobbles).
If it's a bad tire, then you're likely to experience it again, especially under the same exact circumstances (same stretch of road at the same speed in other words) until it's fixed.

I don't know how low your gearing is, but even an '05 with 31's could be lugging in 5th at that speed. Unless it's a Rubicon with the 4.11 gears, you could have something else. I'm sorry I forget what gear ratios were available in '05, so I could be completely off here, but I agree with the others that suggested a lower gear going up hill at 50 to 55 mph.
What rpm did your tachometer say you were running at that time. Even though inline-6 engines are known for their low-end torque, that doesn't mean they like to lug down under the wrong circumstances any more than any other engine would. And they can also be revved up without damage a lot more than people think, or are led to believe.
Doesn't mean I'm telling you to over-rev it, but on a hill is no time to lug it down. Your rev's could easily make mincemeat out of a hill if they're kept over 2500 to 3000. And no harm to the engine.

Anyway, plenty of things could have come loose in the front end in the past 7 years (and how many miles?) but tires are always my first go-to part. Rotating is a lot cheaper (free if you do it yourself) than buying all new steering linkage and suspension components.
So try having the tires rotated front to rear to see if it changes. You could have some loose or worn out components up front too, but if the rig has low-mileage or the suspension and steering components are new enough, the tires are high up on the culprit list.

One good "curbing" going into a driveway, or one sideways glancing blow on a rock either on a high-speed dirt road run, or even a slow trail run with low air pressure could do enough internal damage to make even a new tire cause this.
If the tires are worn out mostly though, it's even more likely. Even if lower mileage, if the tires are 7 years old too, age alone could cause some issues. Mostly it's with the outer carcass, but sometimes a borderline defective inner belt can finally work itself out with time and mileage.
If the tread is worn funky, that's an almost guarantee of at least a shimmy. If other things are loose, it can get worse in a hurry.

So start there and let us know what happens.
Enquiring minds want to know...

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
oldguy387
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think Beach Head was right. Engine was ready to stall. You may have had clutch chatter. Next time down shift. I can do just about 70 mph in 3rd gear in my TJ and it is not red lined. Close but not there.
oldguy387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.