Installing Subs, where to drill for power cable? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Installing Subs, where to drill for power cable?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know if you have it, but...lift the hood, passenger side, at the back of the valve cover where the firewall has a lg contour to accomidate the long I6 block, there's a grommet I was able to feed a O awg cable through.

Unread 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

And use the seat belt mounts under the back seat, you want your grounds to be as short as possible.
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #18
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
And use the seat belt mounts under the back seat, you want your grounds to be as short as possible.
Yea it's a decent ground but better is throwing amp on floor and drilling through floor and still into the frame.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster2k3 View Post

blue/white for the amp switch. Or you will endup like i did and only have the amp on when you are using the radio (blue is power antenna so its off when on aux)
Or if you wanna be a rebel attach remote to ignition :P
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
WJefy
2004 WJ 

I know this thread is a little old now, but here's the easiest way to put power through a firewall...
Buy (or pilfer) a full length, non-collapsing antenna from some old car in a junk yard. Use a grinder to sharpen one end to a point. Cut your power wire at an angle and tape it to the non-sharpened end of the antenna. Make sure you run the tape up the antenna past the point of the power wire. Coat the tapered area with some kind of lube. Soap water, white lithium grease, professional electricians' lube, etc. poke the pointy end of the antenna through an existing grommet on the driver's side of the engine compartment, slide it down until the lube is on the grommet, go back and forth a couple times, then pull the antenna through from the footwell. It has worked for me on EVERY vehicle for more than 300 amplifier installs. No drilling necessary. The grommet seals around the wire on its own. Drilling complicates things very quickly. I've heard horror stories of drilling into ac lines, through the back of the master cylinder (without noticing until the customer's car could stop - yikes), and others. Again, no need to drill.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.