If you HATE XJ Altezza's Do Not Click This thread... 1st XJ "EuroClears!!!" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > If you HATE XJ Altezza's Do Not Click This thread... 1st XJ "EuroClears!!!"

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
bluballer
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you HATE XJ Altezza's Do Not Click This thread... 1st XJ "EuroClears!!!"

If you don't mind them or even like them ... I've been working on a way to improve them.

I admit there is a lot of chrome on the stock Altezza's and I guess chrome is too flashy or offensive to some people, but I do very much like the complexity and intricacy of them and the fact they allow you to use super bright/faster response 1157 LEDs without mod. Soooo... I received a photoshop of the general concept in another thread and it inspired me to make the concept come to fruition....

I wanted it to be along the styling of the newer EuroClear lights found on many newer vehicles including the Jeep Commander.... I found a product that was inexpensive,fairly easy to use, requires no painting or sanding of your tails and "I" realllllly like the results....It works on any tail light so if you wanted those blah stockers to be "all red" you could modify them pretty easily. For the people that have Altezza's and catch some flack for them (like me) but are not impressed with "stock" or the very few and equally blah tail light options there are for the XJ ....here's yet another option...The first XJ "EuroClears"......

In this side by side comparison.... you can see it dramatically changes the look....and it has a glass like gloss...

I had the circles for the reverse units professionally plotted for a finished look

All the reflectors still function as normal...

This is the finished look installed on my jeep, it came out better than the photoshop!!!. The appliqué does take a lot of the "chrome" flash out of them and replaces it with a very unique look all its own.

The old look for comparison....

If the guys who have altezza's are interested in a writeup of the process (I took some pics)...I'll do a DIY thread... P.S. This can also be done in smoke for the guys that want to dark tint there tails without having to go through the tedious process of spraying them...

Street Jeep tip #1: The more inspiring your ride the more you'll get hated on by simpletons.

Haters only link: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...98_76_full.jpg

Last edited by bluballer; 03-02-2008 at 02:20 AM..
bluballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
madrabbitt

the reverse sorta kills it, but thats because of the design of the original light, not your mod.

the rest of it looks pretty damn good.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

a LOT better than the chrome.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I still hate altezzas, but that's definitely a step in the right direction.
urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
bluballer
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I appreciate it fellas... I did it last night so today is my first day like look at them ... I'll take a few daylight pics....I think the reverse circle is too big also...always have....but you're right I cant change that....Oh well...thanks for the feedback..
Street Jeep tip #1: The more inspiring your ride the more you'll get hated on by simpletons.

Unread 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Looks MUCH better!
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
kingofthehill
1990 XJ Cherokee 

you never said what you used to make them all red

is it like tint?

where could I buy some?

and how much is it?
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
itsge0ff
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Haha I didn't get the sick feeling I normally do when i see altezza's. I actually don't mind em.
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Man that looks nice! What's your source for the materials?

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I bet it's tail light vinyl. It looks good upon installation, but it seldoms lasts very long.
urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
bluballer
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban-yan View Post
I bet it's tail light vinyl. It looks good upon installation, but it seldoms lasts very long.
You are partly right Urban ....it is PVC but unlike the early vinyls that were used for smoke that turned colors and peeled... This is made from high quality and high gloss vinyl material with with UV stabilizers to protect it from degradation. Since it is being placed on the rear, it wont receive all the micro-scratching (hazing) that occurs from wind debris that dulls it when you use it on headlights. Depending on the company you get it from and what level the films are rated, they offer from 5 to 8 years of long term outdoor durability and they have excellent workability and removal properties.

I researched a lot of forums for people who have used this stuff and they show pictures of 3 and 4 year old applications that still look great.... Even if it last just a few years, it comes off comparatively easy, it's dirt cheap to purchase ...and with the right tools, it's relatively easy to put on...especially on these tail lights (two flat surfaces and 1 mild compound curve.)

This is my first time using this stuff and the first light went on good (few minor imperfections)...the second went on great! I might redo them to make them perfect now that I know more about how to apply it....but it'll be a minute ....I know a few more people with Altezza's on other cars that saw it and want it so I'm going to practice on them for a while.

These are the daytime pics....the tail lights are now almost the same color as my jeep, and from some angles the tail light lines almost disappear...

Last edited by bluballer; 03-02-2008 at 09:47 PM..
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

I like it man, great job... it's much better than the chrome.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
Agreed
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
bluballer
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob View Post
I appreciate it Golden, Solo, Mill, TPI,Its, King , Urb, Mad, Ultimat ..... It was coming....I wasnt sure how I wanted to do it (paint -vs- vinyl etc...) ....but now that is done...I love it. I've got a feeling the altezza crowd is gonna catch on... I've had some more people hit me up about doing it (non jeep people).... anybody here know about vacuum forming????

Unread 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

you could get some cherry red tint at the hobby shop too if that doesnt last.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.