I wish to convert my 5.9 grand cherokee to a street jeep....sugjestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > I wish to convert my 5.9 grand cherokee to a street jeep....sugjestions?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
scottys94XJ
1998 ZJ 

I wish to convert my 5.9 grand cherokee to a street jeep....sugjestions?

i have a 1998 grand cherokee 5.9 limeted....xj is gone.....soo i want to build a street jeep...i need supreem handleing...i alredy know what i need for motor and trany....i need to be lower and sifer terning....also is it posible to get rid of the front diferental and have just a normol axle like on a 2 wheel drive...and is it posible to remove front gear box and have just a straight drive shat 2 the back....just to wheel drive and a lot less waight...let me know whats up !

ffgg.jpg  
scottys94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Dusk53
2000 WJ 

Just curious as what you're plans are. 408 stroker?

Traction will be an issue, why do you not want 4wd? Assuming we're talking for a drag strip here.

East Carolina University
Dusk53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
scottys94XJ
1998 ZJ 

i did moar reserch and watchd alot of videos....i want it to be a street jeep

i did moar reserch and watchd alot of videos....i want it to be a street jeep

lowerd re-geard wider tb ported intake stif suspention ect...im open to everybodys segjestions
scottys94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
redef9sir

Currently working on a project similar to the one you are interested in except mine is using a 1982 full size Cherokee chief as a platform. I already sourced a new front independent suspension from a late model crown Vic which has killer brakes on it with rack and pinion steering and should lower the truck 5 inches. Obviously that will eliminate the solid front axle along with the steering box. The th400 is getting replaced with a mustang t5 and the transfer case goes away too. Haven't decided how to handle the rear suspension yet but I think I will have to notch the frame eventually. Good luck
redef9sir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Start with a 2wd front axle and some lowering springs.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
bobjp

Why not just buy a 2WD Jeep to start with? You'll spend twice as much money converting it to 2wd then if you were to just buy a 2wd. A 5.9L 98 is worth decent money and you're just going to take the engine out anyway.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
HereticalWJ
2002 WJ 

His posts hurt my head to much to help.
HereticalWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
kingharrod83
1998 ZJ 

I agree. Just leave that jeep alone. I have a 98 5.9L and it's pushing 480hp with a 5.9. Jeep is a collector and should stay almost stock
image-1484915432.jpg   image-2867352595.jpg  
kingharrod83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
360LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingharrod83 View Post
I agree. Just leave that jeep alone. I have a 98 5.9L and it's pushing 480hp with a 5.9. Jeep is a collector and should stay almost stock
What do you have done to this 5.9? I am in for 480hp!!! What mods?
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
jeffjeep2
1998 ZJ 

98 zj for street

Hi everyone,

Need your advice Im planning to make my jeep a bit street jeep because I dont do 4 x 4 on the dessert mostly i used it for office.

Here is my plan to put in a 235x50x18 set of tires and rim, currently the jeep is in stock tires at 235 x75 x 15. jeep also never lifted. still stock. im planning on dropping it 2 inches down, im still searching for some good springs.

Thanks

jeff
jeffjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
rgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingharrod83 View Post
do tell your mods... i too have had (sad to say she isn't with us anymore) 5.9L GC and with the mods i did i was able to run a 13.7 and was nowhere near 480hp.
rgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.