Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I wish to convert my 5.9 grand cherokee to a street jeep....sugjestions?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  rgreen 
#1 ·
i have a 1998 grand cherokee 5.9 limeted....xj is gone.....soo i want to build a street jeep...i need supreem handleing...i alredy know what i need for motor and trany....i need to be lower and sifer terning....also is it posible to get rid of the front diferental and have just a normol axle like on a 2 wheel drive...and is it posible to remove front gear box and have just a straight drive shat 2 the back....just to wheel drive and a lot less waight...let me know whats up :)!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Currently working on a project similar to the one you are interested in except mine is using a 1982 full size Cherokee chief as a platform. I already sourced a new front independent suspension from a late model crown Vic which has killer brakes on it with rack and pinion steering and should lower the truck 5 inches. Obviously that will eliminate the solid front axle along with the steering box. The th400 is getting replaced with a mustang t5 and the transfer case goes away too. Haven't decided how to handle the rear suspension yet but I think I will have to notch the frame eventually. Good luck

#10 ·
98 zj for street

Hi everyone,

Need your advice Im planning to make my jeep a bit street jeep because I dont do 4 x 4 on the dessert mostly i used it for office.

Here is my plan to put in a 235x50x18 set of tires and rim, currently the jeep is in stock tires at 235 x75 x 15. jeep also never lifted. still stock. im planning on dropping it 2 inches down, im still searching for some good springs.

Thanks

jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.