Help! I hate my Back Seat. Is there a Perpendicular Kit / Mod ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Help! I hate my Back Seat. Is there a Perpendicular Kit / Mod ?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
graystranger
1997 YJ Wrangler 

Help! I hate my Back Seat. Is there a Perpendicular Kit / Mod ?

These are pictures of a Mahindra indian jeep. I like the way the back seats are perpendicular. Right now I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler SE (I'm told its a TJ). If anyone ever wants to get in the back seat, they have to crawl over the front seats, which is a pain in the butt. It sure would be handy if they could just open the tailgate and hop in. That also looks like it would hold more passengers. Is there a kit or a mod for doing this on a jeep wrangler?

graystranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

if you go the roll bar and the seats from one of these it would make it a ton easier. as for me i have never heard of anything like it. seems like a good idea but why not just drop the backseat and use it for cargo room?
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
graystranger
1997 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I've also considered maybe getting some sort of jump-seat installed as well. My end goal is to be able to fit a lot of people in the back quickly and easy without having to crawl over the front seat, AND have lots of easily accessible cargo room in the back. If they made a kit for jeeps for which I could accomplish this, that'd work too. But I have friends who weigh as much as 300 lbs easy, so I need a solution for a back seat that is tough and agile, but still out-of-the-way. Looks like theres another thread in this forum on this subject: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jump-seats-812072/
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
MPETESS10

how bout flip out seats from a small ex cab pickup like an S10 or RANGER. they are small single person jumpseats that flip out from the side wall trim of the excab and have integrated lap seatbelts as well. they actually bolt to the floor and are spring loaded so they flip back up easily when not in use
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
toober

I like the idea too but you would also have to install seatbelts to make it legal.
toober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
MPETESS10

if you go with an S10 jump seat it uses lap belts that attach using the same mounting bolts that mount the seat to the floor. you would have to reinforce the seat mounting area if you plan on using the belts, but it should work the same way
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
graystranger
1997 YJ Wrangler 

I like how the S10 Jump Seat would provide the most open available space, but I gotta think about my friends. I am from Texas, where everything is bigger, and I know people who weigh as much as 300 lbs. I wouldn't want to have to ask them to sit in a tiny little kid-sized jump seat. If I cant find a bigger jump seat with more cushoning that is physcally bigger and not so kid-sized, then it would be better if we had a wide "jump-bench" like I previously posted that folds up vertically instead. Granted, thats a lot of weight to be putting on foldable-furniture, but I think I could make it work with a little effort. I just need some tips on what would fit.
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
MPETESS10

get 2 S10 seats and mount them side by side, weld some steel bracing to the frame to "connect" them and creat one large jumpseat. add some folding legs on the end of the bottom side to add more support when being used as a seat and then add more cushion to it.
the S10 seat has a metal frame to it so it has some options.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
graystranger
1997 YJ Wrangler 

MPETESS10, That sounds like a good idea. Would I need to get the seats out of a 1997 model S10 to make sure it matches up with my 1997 Jeep Wrangler? Or would just about any year model fit?
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
MPETESS10

the basics of the S10 jumpseat were the same pretty much from start to finish, 1982-2003. the interiors and exteriors changed over the years with a huge makeover in 1994, the plastic trim mounted to the frames is a lil more "ergonomic" in the 94+ years, but besides that they are pretty much identical through the years. to be honest I think they may even be the same left to right, but I am not 100% sure about this part. I think the only thing your should be picky about is the color of the interior on the S10. find something that matches your jeeps interior. if I recall, the seat frame and seatbelts are all bolted to the floor using 2 big TORX bolts. this can pose a problem in a junkyard because the bolts go through the floor and the threads are exposed to the elements, so they may need some persuasion to get them out. do yourself a favor and soak the bolts with some PB BLASTER prior to attempting to get the bolts out. I wanna say the torx bolts are like a T45 or T50 but again I am not 100& on that.
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
dvdflanders
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystranger View Post
My end goal is to be able to fit a lot of people in the back quickly and easy without having to crawl over the front seat, AND have lots of easily accessible cargo room in the back. If they made a kit for jeeps for which I could accomplish this, that'd work too. But I have friends who weigh as much as 300 lbs easy, so I need a solution for a back seat that is tough and agile, but still out-of-the-way. Looks like theres another thread in this forum on this subject: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jump-seats-812072/
There is no mod to "fit a lot of people in the back" because you're still in a Jeep. And the 300 pounders should probably just sit in the front.

3RD JUMP SEAT CHEVY S10 S-10 TRUCK SONOMA XTREME GMC: eBay Motors (item 370413830579 end time Aug-27-10 13:38:01 PDT)

The S10 jump seat is a cool idea. It folds away to add space when not in use, allows for more ease of entry, and it's unique. But adding inside facing rear seats in your TJ will allow for little legroom. If you mounted inside facing rear benches, it would be harder to stay legal.

I think that you could stagger the two rear jump seats, one closer to the driver than the other, facing each other. This would provide enough leg room and fold away storage.

Also, Land Rover Discovery jump seats should be considered.

Land Rover Discovery I rear jump seat kit 1994-1999: eBay Motors (item 220568732140 end time Aug-05-10 17:17:35 PDT)
dvdflanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back rear seat kit mod

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.