Engine Bay dress up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Engine Bay dress up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
dmw319
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Bay dress up

I know I might get some jabs from guys here on this site.. but I recently got a 99 wrangler for my wife. i work on it, mod it, and she has fun just driving it. I have had many sports cars before that I worked on to clean up the engine bay and make it stand out. I would take out all un-necessary components and brackets and re-wire and re-loom everything to hide the wires and repaint the bay and basically make it look like a show car under the hood. I don't plan to do much to the jeep (since its a jeep) but I was thinking about diong some of this type stuff and also painting some intakes and parts, etc.

Do any of you take time to do this stuff? Or is it just me?

Post some pics of your engine bays! I can't find any on here, just ones of people rolling over big rocks...

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't seen any Jeepers go as far as you are talking about going, not that there isn't a ton of them done, I just haven't seen them. However, I have seen some real nice looking engine compartments that you could eat off of. I haven't done any of this, but one guy told me he pressure washed under the hood, then sprays tire foam cleaner all over everything. Man that engine compartment looked good.

It's a Jeep..... use it as a blank canvas, mod it to suit you and your Wife's personality. Some people don't like wheeled Jeeps, some don't like Mall Crawlers, some don't like stock Jeeps. Don't worry about it, build your Jeep and enjoy. "It's all good".
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
dmw319
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the advice. that was pretty much what i was going to do. so far the jeep already has a 3.5" suspension and body lift, front and back detroit lockers, 33" bfgs and some other misc. stuff, its intense blue and she loves it so far. ill be sure and post up some before and afters of the engine bay for sure though.
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw319 View Post
thanks for the advice. that was pretty much what i was going to do. so far the jeep already has a 3.5" suspension and body lift, front and back detroit lockers, 33" bfgs and some other misc. stuff, its intense blue and she loves it so far. ill be sure and post up some before and afters of the engine bay for sure though.
We love photos. Others may not go quite as far as you do with dressing up under the hood, but people will see your pics and steal an idea here & there. Jeepers are always happy to share their mod information with others, it's just part of the "Jeep Family" thing. Did you just purchase this Jeep? Do you plan to wheel it, or will this be your Wife's daily driver? Reason I ask, it seems like a pretty trail ready Jeep, but maybe not the best street driver (depending upon mods like which lockers).
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
dmw319
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, we just bought it. It will be her daily driver. We don't plan on doing any wheeling or off roading at all (I dont even know the right terminology here) but maybe a little since we do love to go camping and stuff. Nothing serious.

I really don't plan to do A TON under the hood since its just a jeep, but just something to keep me entertained to work on haha.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw319 View Post
Yea, we just bought it. It will be her daily driver. We don't plan on doing any wheeling or off roading at all (I dont even know the right terminology here) but maybe a little since we do love to go camping and stuff. Nothing serious.

I really don't plan to do A TON under the hood since its just a jeep, but just something to keep me entertained to work on haha.

(LOL), When I purchased the Little Jeep, my plan was to toss 30 inch mud tires on it and call it done..... What a Joke that ended up being

A stock Jeep will take most people in and out of places they have no business being. I have taken some new stock Jeep owners out on the trails and they are shocked at where a stock Jeep will go with ease. Since you have a lift and F&R lockers, your Jeep could easily get you into some serious trouble as the Jeep has more capability than the driver has off road driving skill. Getting you into and out of camping areas, shouldn't be any problem for your Jeep Depending upon your location, there are groups that wheel during the day, then camp out in a remote location at night. Jeepers should follow the Tread Lightly, Pack it in, Pack it out, theories. You & your Wife might like wheel-n as there is a survivalist kind of aspect to it. You have to be prepared for whatever, with food (usually lunch is out on the trail somewhere), spare parts, trail repair tricks, etc. When something happens on the trail, the entire group works as a team to get the problem solved. Next time, it might be you that has a problem so you have to share resources and work as a team. I have know people who carry backpacker's stoves so they can have hot soup & coffee during lunch break. There are a lot of OHV Parks where you can wheel all day, then camp at night (usually camping is not on the trails but in same area). Think about looking for a good 4x4 Club in your area that has a fair number of women actively involved (your Wife will appreciate this), or you might want to try a Jeep Jamboree just to see if you and your Wife like the jeep-n/camping deal.

My wife would never even go wheel-n with me one time. After wheel-n without her for a few years and thinking about selling the Jeep. I got her to agree to give wheel-n a try. I waited for the weather to be nice, then arranged to hook up with a group that was probably 40% women, we went out, top down, doors off. I packed a nice lunch and her favorite non alcoholic drink, she took a book to read in case there was some down time (trail repair, or whatever) and off wheel-n we went. I wasn't sure if she was having a good time or not, until she saw a winch being used and told me "that looks handy, you should get one"..... To my surprise, my wife has become very involved as my spotter, she points out hazards that I may not have seen, I even ask her to pick lines for me at times, even though she has zero interest in actually driving. There are times when I would just as soon take the By-Pass, but she goats me into taking her the "Hard way".. Like I said, if you and your Wife are into primitive camping, you too would probably love the Jeep-n/wheel-n aspect.

Again, depending upon your location (I didn't look), you & your Wife will want to be careful when driving this Jeep on wet/ice/snow covered roads as lockers can be wonderful off pavement, but sometimes they have pavement quirks that can spin you off into a ditch before you can blink. Don't try to take turns & curves in this Jeep like you would in a sports car.... think of the Jeep as a truck and drive it that way
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
dmw319
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the tips - i gotta get it running and on the road first and then we can see what happens
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ive always just cleaned and painted parts that I have to pull out to fix stuff. On my car, I had to remove the intake pipe; so I painted it to match the valve covers.

However, I normally do an 'engine cleaning' every so often.

1) I get the engine wet with a garden hose and engine off (dont want a lot of pressure in case).
2) I scrub easy to reach spots.
3) I spray some engine degreaser all over the engine.
4) I close the hood; and let the engine run to operating temp; possibly longer.
5) I open the hood and spray OFF the degreaser with a hose.
6) I sometimes repeat 1-3; then rinse it off if its bad.
7) After its all done, I spray wd-40 on valve covers, hoses, etc; it gives a nice shine to some rubbers and plastics.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have found that bike wash does a great job of cleaning things under the hood. This is the stuff that you squirt all over a dirty motorcycle, wait a few minutes, hose it off real well and you're done.

There are several brands out there and the one I like the best is Spectro XL-1. I buy it in 5 gallon pails (way more than you will ever need as a normal person lol) and you cut it with water. You can cut it from 1 part Spectro to three parts water and up, depending on how dirty. The only thing is that as the concentration goes up, the more rinsing you need to do before it stops sudsing.

Strong cleaners like engine degreasers and oven cleaners and the like can leave painted surfaces, especially black, with an ugly whitish stain. Bike wash will not do this. If you have a really greasy area, just hit it twice.

Anyway, this takes off dirt and oil and grease; it is really easy do use and it works really well. I use this on the motors of all my vehicles/bikes.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

well, i dont really do much aesthetic wise under the hood, but performance wise thats a different story.

ive always been a function over form guy. but, whatever floats your boat i guess.
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
shad366
2002 WJ 

I degrease my engine, spray tire foam on it (Wesley's and Armor All), and WAX it. It looks brand new, and I plan to keep it that way.
I was having problems with my steering a while ago, so I figured out that it was all the sludge that had built up in the components in the engine bay. I sprayed some degreaser on it, and it fixed it! I rest my case.
shad366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad366 View Post
I degrease my engine, spray tire foam on it (Wesley's and Armor All), and WAX it. It looks brand new, and I plan to keep it that way.
I was having problems with my steering a while ago, so I figured out that it was all the sludge that had built up in the components in the engine bay. I sprayed some degreaser on it, and it fixed it! I rest my case.
Pics or it didn't happen....
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
shad366
2002 WJ 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shad-photo/5065945532
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shad-photo/5065938062
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shad-photo/5065937726
I take it back, it doesn't look BRAND new, but it looks pretty good for a 15 y.o. car!

Last edited by shad366; 10-09-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Had to edit this cause pics wouldn't show up.
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad366 View Post
100_1712 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
100_1714 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
100_1713 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I take it back, it doesn't look BRAND new, but it looks pretty good for a 15 y.o. car!
Looks good......
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
shad366
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Looks good......
Thank ya

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.