Don't feel like a real "Jeeper" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Don't feel like a real "Jeeper"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrangers2 View Post
Your one lucky bastard then. I've broken stuff plenty 3 times, my bumper carrier and tie rod end and put a huge dent in my bumper that i hammered out.
Not lucky so much as careful and wise in choosing my line. I pushed my jeep plenty, but i know when to let off and when to take a new line, or go around something.

But ask anyone i've wheeled with, i was always the smallest jeep, but followed the bigguns everywhere.

Not to mention, my jeep was BUILT on a dime, but built to play hard.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
I'd rather throw $$ into this one - it's a helluva lot more fun than my XJ!

I like your monte, it's clean and tasteful.

Speaking of 18" RT wheels, I need to get mine powdercoated gunmetal soon, then drop my wagon 1.5-2"

then this summer buy a CJ5. Not on 18's, haha.

And yes, atleast i'll give you credit for commenting on the handling. aint no way i'm puttin 20's or 22's on my mag, i wanna be able to turn...the stock size is pretty good for that. But, i question how aggressively you corner and drive with your cherokee...

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I like your monte, it's clean and tasteful.
Thanks. It's been a long-time coming, with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears put into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Speaking of 18" RT wheels, I need to get mine powdercoated gunmetal soon, then drop my wagon 1.5-2"

then this summer buy a CJ5. Not on 18's, haha.

And yes, atleast i'll give you credit for commenting on the handling. aint no way i'm puttin 20's or 22's on my mag, i wanna be able to turn...the stock size is pretty good for that. But, i question how aggressively you corner and drive with your cherokee...
Your mag will look sharp with the gunmetal rims! Believe me, I don't drive drive the XJ like a wildman (I'm 35 and have a 5 year old and a 2 year old), but the Bilsteins and good swaybar bushings and endlinks have made a decent improvement, especially when I have the 18's on in the spring/summer/fall.

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
coldwater
CJ7 

Eh, Jeeps is Jeeps. I have my toy CJ7 to play with, and my 04 GC to be all comfy in. they lead diferent lives. The only thing that bugs the hell out of me (even though It's NONE of my business) Is a poser that bolts every piece of crap on a lifted jeep he can get on there, and NEVER leaves the road. I know of one near me that talks all kinds of junk about how bad his jeep is, and it has open difs on both ends, and sounds like It's going to throw up when he drives it around town because of the stock gears and 35" tires sittin under 5" of lift. He even went so far as to bolt a broken winch onto it! I know It's broken, because I threw it in the scrap heap at the transfer station because it was wasted, Then he wrapped a bunch of chain around the bumper for extra bad *** points. WTF? Quit trying to put on a cheap show, and just drive the damn Jeep!
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #20
RyanBum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know exactly how you feel. I have a TJ and yea, I'm sure it is great off road but I have never taken mine on a single trail. I use it as a daily driver and it is more fun that anything I've owned in the past. A Jeep is a Jeep no matter how you use it.
RyanBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
razorback84

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo711 View Post
I rarely take my jeep off road that is why there are very few mods to it. i like the the way lifted jeeps look and hope to do that to mine, but right now i am glad i get 22mpg
Please tell me how you are getting 22 MPG I would love to get that in my TJ. I am getting about 17 on the interstate and I drive at 65 MPH 90% of the time
razorback84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

I agree with everyone else; but i guess in another way i don't. Because i definitely don't consider all the "soccer moms" or "ol' grannys" exactly "jeepers". I guess in my terms a real jeeper is anyone who promotes the well being of the jeep community in one way or another, other than just buying a jeep.
Unread 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #23
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJcrawler45 View Post
I agree with everyone else; but i guess in another way i don't. Because i definitely don't consider all the "soccer moms" or "ol' grannys" exactly "jeepers". I guess in my terms a real jeeper is anyone who promotes the well being of the jeep community in one way or another, other than just buying a jeep.
Well, I think the only way I promote it is by telling everyone my Jeep is the best thing on the planet and the fact that I have a nice big neon Jeep clock in my room. Lol, that's about all I can say for myself in terms of promotion....
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
sp9861
1996 ZJ 

I think your a Jeeper if you own a Jeep and enjoy the outdoors, which is nearly every Jeep owner I have ever met.

Future Project: Rock Light and Reverse Light installation.
sp9861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
phenryiv1
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
I am not so sure about the magnum 18's either, but I DO like the rims on the MC.

That is not to say that the 18s are not right for you. Mod your vehicle how you want- not for others. It seems like you understand that concept. I am sure that there are people who would knock you for your choice in rims on the MC, but who should care but you?
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
sn00p
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As a harley guy I know exactly what you're talking about... there are bikers, there are motorcyclists, there are posers, and there are rubs (rich urban bikers, awful close to poser) Well I'm a biker, but when it comes to Jeeps, I'm no jeeper and wouldn't pretend to be, mine is just transportation, that happens to be 4wd, happens to be convertible, and happens to be able to haul a bike trailer. I have no call to go rock climbing, don't imagine I ever will.
sn00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Jasen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't afford all those mods nore breaking it. My 98 TJ is mainly a pavement pounder, but I do take it out on some prestty beat up dirt roads from time to time. I don't really have an intrest of big time mudd'n or rock crawlin.
When theres no place to park at home, that Monte is'nt going to make it over the curb, and down the 3 steps into my front yard very well
Unread 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #28
Hardt114
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I love my Jeep to death, but I feel like those that don't go off-road are frowned upon in the Jeep community. I would go off-roading, but I really don't have the time, money, or knowledge to do it. Anyone else feel this way, or you don't give a damn?
I'm basically in the same position, with the same Jeep haha. I've thought about it and I've decided that being a Jeeper is a state of mind. If you love your Jeep, then use it for whatever you want/need and you're a Jeeper...
Hardt114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #29
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I love my Jeep to death, but I feel like those that don't go off-road are frowned upon in the Jeep community. I would go off-roading, but I really don't have the time, money, or knowledge to do it. Anyone else feel this way, or you don't give a damn?
Your XJ is not going to explode the moment the tires leave asphalt. If you want to go off-roading, I really recommend that you at least try it! Do try to pick appropriate trails and driving buddies, though. Hanging with the "let's go break something!"-crowd might not be as much fun as exploring unused roads and interesting trails with company that is more expedition driving oriented.

Hell, all I've got is a Patriot I still owe money on and I've taken it off-roading, more than once. Driving off-road doesn't have to mean broken parts, it's all up to how and where you drive. Just puttering along some easy forest trail is a fun experience in itself, you don't have to push the limits of your Jeep past the point where something breaks or stick to the asphalt. It's a sliding scale, not a binary decision.

As for feeling like "a real Jeeper", I definitely feel more like it than most Jeep drivers that I see in their shiny, expensive, stock (other than the occasional "pimp my bad taste" huge rims and low profile street tires) Jeeps that never leave the city, looking at me like I'm crazy when I wave. I do agree with you though in that there seems to be a strong, well, subculture?, of Jeepers who push the capabilities of Jeeps as far as they'll go with huge rebuilds and very difficult trails, to the point where the Jeeps often need to be hauled to and from the trail on a trailer, and some of those guys don't seem to appreciate an economical daily driver very much because it can't climb the same rocks as their weekend play thing. Oh well. It's supposed to be a free country so I guess they're entitled to their opinion.
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #30
karlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardt114 View Post
I'm basically in the same position, with the same Jeep haha. I've thought about it and I've decided that being a Jeeper is a state of mind. If you love your Jeep, then use it for whatever you want/need and you're a Jeeper...
I agree to that. And as long as you are a proud owner and enjoy driving your Jeep, you are a real Jeeper.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.