Do-It-Yourself Window Tint - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Do-It-Yourself Window Tint

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #31
djswain22

I paid locally after trying it myself and getting frustrated to the point where I shotgunned my phone down the road

djswain22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
JeepBWA
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have had the windows tinted on every vehicle I have owned by a guy that does it on the side out of his garage (he works for the dealerships doing this). I would never have the patience and gladly pay him to do it in less than an hour.
JeepBWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #33
phdsk8
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used GILA from autozone. Cost me $ 15/roll+ little plastic thing called squeegee and a bottle of spray(again gila).
Just watch a few videos on youtube and give it a shot. Its not as hard as you think. Spray a little more than you need and it wont stick. It has been almost 6 months and no bubbles so far. The back window was tough as it curves quite a bit. I used it on my KK.
I can't figure out how it costs $ 200+ for tint jobs. Its same as $ 200 for diff oil change I guess.

Its not too hard, need a little patience right temperature no humidity and non windy day. This was my first one but I am never going to a tint shop to put tint on.
phdsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #34
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdsk8 View Post
I can't figure out how it costs $ 200+ for tint jobs. Its same as $ 200 for diff oil change I guess.
The reason it cost $200 is because the tint you are buying is 3M, with a lifetime warranty. The person installing it also has to charge enough to make a living.
Meep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #35
phdsk8
2004 TJ Wrangler 

tint

If it was 3m with lifetime warranty for $ 200 I would have jumped on it. It was no name brand with 2 year warranty for 200. $ 300+ for lifetime no name brand!
So I just did it myself. My brother in law paid 300 something for his truck with 3M and lifetime warranty. I don't think that the 3m roll is $ 20/sq feet. There is more than $ 100 profit/job. And you think that money goes to the employee or the shop owner? Just like car alarm installation or fog light installation or those chrome bars they sell for couple of hundred bucks.

And its a jeep, the glass might not going to survive lifetime

Just give it a shot if it doesn't work you can go the the shop anyways. All I am saying is that its not that hard.
Unread 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #36
Outsydr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tinting a window really is not all that difficult to do yourself (rear windows are the absolute worst in most vehicles due to curving multiple directions, that's why there is rear window specific tint film)
check this out before deciding if you want to try it yourself or pay someone else, about halfway down on page 2 is a nice detailed write up of the process.
(Yes I know it's a chevy site not jeep, sorry bout that but those things were my toys for years but I have moved on to a Jeep now so give me some credit)
Outsydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #37
Jerryd77
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I recently had the windows on my xj tinted after looking around at all the options, I'm the kind of guy that does all the work himself. After looking at what it would cost for materials and proper tools it didn't make any sense to do it myself. I paid a mobile service to come out and do the tint, I look back on it as a savings.
Jerryd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #38
terrasmak
2007 WK 

I used to be a tinter, the average professional grade film costs about $1.10 a foot in 20 inch width. The profit is nice, but like other things you have to pay to keep the lights on. Also a lot of shops are now using a plotter to cut the the film, this cost a pretty penny. With that all being said, we have a current tinter in my 350Z group that does side work out of his garage on the weekends. Side work is a great way to get stuff done.
terrasmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #39
zlach44
2000 WJ 

Just put gila on my front windows of my Dakota today and it looks blue from inside and out. Not happy with it. Used 20%
zlach44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
Patman8354
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just had Llumar 30% ceramic installed on the front windows of my Wrangler. It was done by a professional with 15+ years of experience. After watching him do it I will never attempt it on my own. It isn't worth the time. When you go to a reputable place you are paying for the high grade window film as well as the experienced installer.
Patman8354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #41
phdsk8
2004 TJ Wrangler 

tinting

It lasted 2 years and still looks like it was done yesterday
I am a happy camper and I will never pay to get them tinted.

mine did not become blue/came out blue. May be the tint was blue or the quality of the gila stuff changed.
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #42
Shaneo7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Carquest sells all kinds of different tints trust me I work at one and we're a small shop.
Shaneo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #43
lostinkorea
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Im gonna try plastipid tint on the windows. I think its gonna work great. Ill let this thread know.
lostinkorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #44
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinkorea View Post
Im gonna try plastipid tint on the windows. I think its gonna work great. Ill let this thread know.
Your'e going to put plastidip on your windows? Are you fvcking stupid?
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #45
lostinkorea
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdowd6 View Post

Your'e going to put plastidip on your windows? Are you fvcking stupid?
Wow. Ok... if u were to apply smoke plastidip to ur windows u could easily control the amount of tint you wanted with no risk. No need to mask and u could easily remove if u needed too. Common sense really. Do you even mod guy?

Lik
lostinkorea is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.