Do cops care if you have no mirrors? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Do cops care if you have no mirrors?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
91_jeep_cheroke

Morris 4x4 jeep parts has the mirrows that go out once u take the doors out; and yes you must have mirrows all the time, unless u go off roading! Good luck

91_jeep_cheroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I live in Michigan and have never had outside mirrors when going doorless over the past 7 years of ownership. And I've lived in various places around the southern LP. I wonder if one day I'll get stopped, but I pass officers all the time and they never bother me.
Try being an out of stater,we have had a few issues with the state troopers but mostly bumper height,no mud flaps or tires too far past fenders(we were told aftermarket flares dont count they have to be factory),we also had rear mounted backup lights which were wired into reverse but if not factory cannot have it either,this all happened on one stop when we were getting off interstate for silverlake sand dunes,the biggest truck was a toyota running 35's and a 4in lift and 3in bodylift
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

They can, will they. Here i have been without real side mirrors for sometime. few weeks ago my rear fenders had enough and gave up on a trail. I have some spiders on order. But for sometime i have had no rear fenders no mirrors doors or top. No troubles. I was thinking of running no fronts too just to see if they would care. But around here as long as it has plates, lights.You could drive the space shuttle.

I do have 3 inch mirrors stickied to the A pillar, you can not see much with them.. For Plausible Deniability.
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

This depends on your local ordinances and state laws. We have an improper equipment traffic code here that includes a specific number of mirrors. Other states may be more or less strict. Your best bet would be to call your state police or highway patrol's public service number and ask them.
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
HMFIC
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Only need rear view mirror here in Florida, i believe. It is all that I have had for last 3 years and have never been bothered.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

If you don't have any mirrors, how do you expect to see that motorcycle before you side swipe him, knock him off his bike and possibly kill him? Mirrors aren't fashion accessories. They're there so you don't kill other people on the road. I was recently hit on my motorcycle by some idiot that actually had mirrors.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Bitpusher
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieShep View Post
If you don't have any mirrors, how do you expect to see that motorcycle before you side swipe him, knock him off his bike and possibly kill him? Mirrors aren't fashion accessories. They're there so you don't kill other people on the road. I was recently hit on my motorcycle by some idiot that actually had mirrors.
If you're riding around without mirrors, it's likely because you have no doors on. If you have no doors, it's extremely likely you have no top. Without doors and a top, you're more aware of your surroundings than 95% of the motoring public.

In addition, you shouldn't be changing lanes without physically turning your head to look to begin with. There is no excuse for not doing so, especially when your view is only obstructed by a roll cage support bar.

I'm sorry you got hit on your bike, but that's no reason to assume that everyone who drives a 4-wheeled vehicle does so in an unsafe manner. In my opinion, driving around without mirrors on your Jeep is perfectly fine, legal or not. You have to be sure to check before merging, but that's no different than any other piece of equipment that you remove.

Jeeps don't have ABS either generally speaking, and it's proven that non-ABS vehicles take longer to stop of dry pavement. Many people remove the ABS system in the few Jeeps that came with it. Consequently, when you drive a Jeep without ABS, you know to keep a longer following distance and should be careful not to lock up your brakes in an emergency.

How is removing one piece of safety equipment (mirrors) different than another (ABS brakes)?
Bitpusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitpusher View Post

I'm sorry you got hit on your bike, but that's no reason to assume that everyone who drives a 4-wheeled vehicle does so in an unsafe manner....
I didn't read anything about getting hit by someone in a four wheeler.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitpusher View Post
....How is removing one piece of safety equipment (mirrors) different than another (ABS brakes)?
what matters is whether you remove factory equipment or not. The question was if law enforcement cared about mirrors or not. The answer is - if it's required by law, they do.

FWIW - I got hit by a woman, who looked me in the eye, just before she slammed the throttle, and ran me down. She had mirrors and I didn't (bicycle - law doesn't require them). The only 'safety equipment' that does any good is EDUCATION.

The best way to avoid getting pulled over, is comply with the laws.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
harrisonb408

I lost both my mirrors in the woods. and haven't had a prob. Been like 3 mon
harrisonb408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

In BC Yes !!!

You also get a ticket if you take the doors off......
The law reads "if the vehicle was manufactured with doors, doors must be installed".
So CJ5s were the last vehicles to legally drive around without doors.

And when you pull a Drivers Licence Abstract... it says
"Failure to maintain a vehicle"!

Great if you drive for a living.
billiebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in TX and they don't care. I'm going to get a set because my jeep looks goofy without side mirrors with doors off.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You guys can stay legal for cheap, you can go to the local bike shop and buy two bike clamp on mirrors. Ditch the clamp, and bolt it into the hinge hole. they are like 5$ each.
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #28
Shaneo7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm installing a cheap mirror on my light bar right now picked a small one up at carquest today $1.35 and I'm going to make it so I can put it on and take it off quick and easy without tools. I also live in Michigan it only takes one cop to have a bad day and stick ya. im guessing like me your blessed with mirrors on the doors.
Shaneo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.