Do cops care if you have no mirrors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Do cops care if you have no mirrors?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
jeepgrifka

Do cops care if you have no mirrors?

I'm wondering when I take my doors off, do the Michigan cops care? Has anyone got a ticket for it?

jeepgrifka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Since in most states having at least one outside rear view mirror is written into the DMV laws, you might expect to get a ticket for not having one. Ask a cop, Google your local DMV laws, or install a mirror.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
preillyyj

You can buy 40(or cheeper) dollar mirrors that go into the door hinge when the door is off. Im looking into getting some myself
preillyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Originally Posted by legislature.mi.gov
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.708 Mirrors.

Sec. 708.

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle on a highway which is so constructed or loaded as to prevent the driver from obtaining a view of the highway to the rear by looking backward from the driver's position, unless the vehicle is equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle. In addition all motor vehicles shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the driver's side which shall be positioned to give the driver a rearviewing angle from the driver's side of the vehicle, except a motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle if the vehicle was not originally equipped with an outside rearview mirror. Rearview mirrors may be positioned on the helmet or visor worn by the operator of a motorcycle if the helmet is securely attached to the head of the operator. Every commercial vehicle of 1/2 ton capacity or more, operating upon the public highways of this state, shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the operator shall have a clear view of the highway behind the commercial vehicle. The outside mirrors shall not be considered to be a part of the vehicle for the purpose of determining the maximum width under section 717.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1967, Act 90, Eff. Jan. 1, 1968 ;-- Am. 1970, Act 94, Imd. Eff. July 20, 1970 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1978

2007 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

There ya go! And it's not the Cops who care, but the law makers.
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My experience with Michigan cops is they are not aggressive jerks. So if you are pulled over it wont be cause he saw no mirrors it was you were speeding or something else. He might end up giving you that ticket as its not a mover and cheaper to pay. Now in Illinois many municipalities use the cops as way to collect revenue. I have NO respect for that garbage.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
jeepgrifka

Thanks every one!! That's what I thought if your not speeding or nothing they won't bug you
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I posted the law up there for you. You read this part, right? In addition all motor vehicles shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the driver's side which shall be positioned to give the driver a rearviewing angle from the driver's side of the vehicle,

Just go get a cheapo mirror, stick it in your door hinge, and save yourself a ticket.
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
jeepgrifka

Yeah thanks for that!!
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your welcome! I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it

Where abouts in Michigan are ya? I'm over here in Windsor.
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i made a cheepo mirror out of some all thread and a cheap plastic mirror from advance.
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
jeepgrifka

I'm in Shelby twp and that's a good idea
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
reaxion911

I use set of motorcycle mirrors i got for $5 at my local wreckers with one wrap of black tape they fit snug in the pin holes
reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
bobjp

I live in Michigan and have never had outside mirrors when going doorless over the past 7 years of ownership. And I've lived in various places around the southern LP. I wonder if one day I'll get stopped, but I pass officers all the time and they never bother me.
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
jeepgrifka

Yeah same here! Had no problem yet
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
zac81
1995 ZJ 

I believe all u need is either a rearview or side mirrors to be legal
zac81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.