Disc-Drum M/C for 4 wheel drums & other brake concerns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Disc-Drum M/C for 4 wheel drums & other brake concerns

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
patelam
CJ3B 

Disc-Drum M/C for 4 wheel drums & other brake concerns

Hello All!
I have an early 1950`s tall hood jeep (a japanese version of the CJ-3B, called a Mitsubishi-Willys) with a relatively modern 2.7 liter Mitsubishi 4DR5 engine transplanted in it. Anyway, i`m on a budget and for now would like to try to use the M/C i have on hand. My problem concerns my braking system.

GIVEN: I have all four drums using 1" bore wheel cylinders. I also have one of those japanese made Dual circuit aluminum master cylinders (15/16 " bore) designed for rear drums and front disc brakes. My pedal system was also modified such that my M/C is now mounted high on the firewall. All wheel cylinders and the master cylinder are only about a year old. I have no leaks anywhere and bled the system well. The original stock brakes had 1" bore Front wheel cylinders and 3/4 " bore rear wheel cylinders and a 1 " bore M/C.

PROBLEM: it takes me several pedal strokes to get a high firm pedal everytime i hit the brakes. As long as i keep my foot pressure on the brake pedal, it stays high and firm, then when i release, another three strokes of the pedal to get the pedal high and brakes strong, and the cycle repeats.

I understand that this is likely due to having a too small bore M/C and what i assume is having no residual pressure valve going to the front brakes (since my m/c is for a rear drum / front disc system).

SOLUTION ? ? : 1- Attach an inline residual pressure valve for the front brakes (10 lbs right?) and put in the correct 3/4 " bore rear wheel cylinders. I`m hoping the brakes will be good and firm on my first pedal stroke, but predictably lower since the present M/C bore is undersized by 1/16 ".

I`m also hoping that using the original 3/4 " rear wheel cylinders will improve the braking dynamics. Pls note my transplanted 2.7 liter 4dr5 diesel engine, i wonder if its heavier than the original engine was, and if so might have any kind of profoundly negative effect on the braking dynamics? What do you guys think?

I see a lot of stuff on the net adapting a dual M/C designed for 4 wheel drums and being used for front disc/ rear drum applications, but never seen adapting an M/C designed for a front disc/ rear drum to be used for 4 wheel drums, hence my post. Also seen formulas / ideas for calculating brake system component sizes for disc-drum and disc-disc systems (Pirate 4x4 Brake bible, etc..). Or maybe i`m not looking hard enough? Anyway, your comments would be welcome, as well as a website for my concerns. I`d rather not do all the math and find out it was designed with a disc-drum or disc-disc setup in mind. The "Brake bible" type of info is ok for me if it deals with a drum-drum setup, otherwise comments pls. Thank You!
patrick

patelam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.