desperately need help with CA smog. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > desperately need help with CA smog.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
brinkerjeep

desperately need help with CA smog.

Hi, I've owned my Jeep for two years now, and as expected I needed to get the smog done. I have an 87 4.2L carter carb. Everything is mostly stock, except I'm running 31's, and swapped in a three core all copper radiator, and new thermostat and water pump, hasn't had any overheating issues since. Everything else that I have done shouldn't affect the fuel/ emissions. I took it in the smog shop a little over a month ago after I sent in my registration fee. It failed the 15 and 25 mph test. My hc's were about twice the allowed amount, and my carbon monoxide was 7.2% the allowed amount is around 0.6%. The smog guy took my money and tolled me that it was probably the carburetor running too rich. So I did some research and confirmed that high CO usually means that the engine is running too rich. So I spent the weekend rebuilding the carburetor. I cleaned all the parts, and resembled the carb. And replaced the vacuum choke courtesy of my friend Dennis. I got the carb back on the engine, and fired up the Jeep and then adjusted the idle mix screws. In addition I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. The air filter is still new. I took it back to a different smog shop so they could do a pre test. With everything that I did and with some help from the second smog guy (some fine adjustment on the carb), we got the idle CO levels down to about 4.2%. Still eight times the allowed amount. I read some info on how the fuel system works, and came across a thread discussing the O2 sensor. I read that it sends out a voltage between O and 1 volts. A low voltage means it's a lean condition, and a higher voltage means rich. The form suggested to check the voltage on the sensor. The idea is that if you know you are running rich, your sensor should be sending a higher voltage so the computer can lean the mixture. However if you know you are rich, but you read a low voltage on the O2 sensor then the sensor is bad, however I went to test the voltage on my sensor and it read 0.96V at idle and dropped to 0.82V at cruising rpm. From my understanding, this means that the sensor is working properly because I'm still running rich. At this point I don't know what else I could check, our what I can do to pass smog. I really need to pass as I commute to school. I don't want to give it up out of state, it's a Jeep thing, and I know all my problems will go away as soon a I do the fuel injection conversion, which I am planning on doing once I have enough money saved up, and the time to actually do the conversion, Until then I need to pass the ca smog. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, chris.

brinkerjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

How are your catalytic converters if there are any on that Jeep?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
brinkerjeep

Hi, thanks for replying, I'm not sure about the condition of the Catalytic converter. The smog people told me that with those readings, replacing the cat Would not correct the emissions. Both smog guys told me it was the carb. I was told that simply rebuilding and cleaning the carb was a waste if time. I was told it needs a some kind of adjustment. I don't know if anyone has had experience adjusting the carb so that it runs optimally. Any help would be much appreciated.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's not just the carb. all your vaccum lines need to be in order. the EGR valve needs to be good. you might want to have the carb professionally rebuilt and or tuned (right jet size etc). Where in Cali are you?
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
brinkerjeep

Yeah, one of the smog guys that I've talked to recommended that I have out professionally rebuilt, add for vac lines and egr, what is the best way to test those out. I live in the san Fernando valley, but I commute to Westwood.
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.sfvsmog.com/
They fixed my jeep 4 years ago all the vacuum lines were messed up. Ask for Fred. There's a carb rebuilder on San Fernando

Valley Carburator Co.
10365 San Fernando Rd‎ CA‎ 91331
YJ4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Spray some carb cleaner in the carb while running and watch all the crap come out of the tail pipe. That should help a little.
Gibson exhaust
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
brinkerjeep

Hey, so I finally got it to pass. Unfortunately I couldn't fix the carb, so I just paid someone to pass it for me. The whole thing was such a headache. Any way, I have two more years to either get fuel injection or figure out the carb. Thanks for the help.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkerjeep View Post
Hey, so I finally got it to pass. Unfortunately I couldn't fix the carb, so I just paid someone to pass it for me. The whole thing was such a headache. Any way, I have two more years to either get fuel injection or figure out the carb. Thanks for the help.
I would not admit to defrauding the state in an open public forum.
How did the PO get it to pass smog when you bought it?
LG
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
brinkerjeep

I purchased the vehicle from a dealer. So when I saw that it ran and had smog I thought it was a good deal. Unfortunately I barley knew anything about cars at the time, but I have learned a lot about engines and cars in the past two years. Kinda a crash course in Jeep ownership. But I don't think I defrauded anyone. I met a guy who pointed me in the direction of someone who knew carbs. I paid 300 to get it adjusted or tuned. To be honest I'm not sure what he did to fix it, but it passed. But I feel like it was probably a temporary fix. Either way I still wasn't to upgrade to mpi fuel injection, but until I have enough saved I will have to just get buy with that carb.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

OK- maybe I read you post wrong then.
I would STRONGLY urge you to buy a copy of the REAL Factory Service Manual(FSM)!
Haynes and the like just won't do.
Been fight'n smog on mine since '85.
Good luck,
LG
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
brinkerjeep

Wow, that's a long time. I'll do that, Haynes is helpful, but it lacks the details. Any way, happy holidays.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.