Daily driver 02 TJ with 4" lift and 31" tires... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Daily driver 02 TJ with 4" lift and 31" tires...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Daily driver 02 TJ with 4" lift and 31" tires...

I know what you are thinking... so I will start with the fact that I understand what the fuel economy is, and nothing is going to change that.

My issue is a lack of power. I know the TJ isnt a sportscar, but there is an overpass I take daily that scares me. Its at such an angle and there is so much traffic that it is hard for me to merge and get up to the flow of traffic.

What can be done to give my Jeep a little more 'oomph' on the highway?

I was thinking about a superchips or something like that... something that doesnt sound annoying and actually does a bit (the jeep had a airraid filter and throttle body spacer when I bought it... those came off the next day).

Do any of the 'programmers' actually work well for Jeeps, or well enough to warrant the purchase?

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

have you regeared?
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
98BlkTJ

i have a 4 banger 98 TJ with 4.10 gear ratio with 31's.
its kinda slow getting into 3rd gear and drags when im going uphill.
i wanted more power originally, but my conclusion was who cares?
when merging into the traffic, people should have some common respect on the road and move aside.
and if someone hits my jeep.. who cares? ill put some better parts on it.
thats y i have jeep. you can do so much things on the jeep and prices are not too costly
98BlkTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
tehgregzor
2004 WJ 

I think the tires are your limiting factor for your speed. 31" are pretty big for a 4 cylinder. Have you considered going down a size or two, perhaps back to stock even? That will reduce the rotational weight the engine has to move, so it should return a little "ommph" back to you.
tehgregzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sell the 4 banger get a 6cyl
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
MyJeepisthebest

4 banger

I've had my Jeep since 2000, its a '99 4cylinder with a 2" bb lift and a magna flow exhaust, ever since i've had the Jeep i've had 31x10.5's.
I drive highway and city and I havnt had any problems.
MyJeepisthebest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

4" and 31s... The 4 cyl is not liking pushing your Brick that 4 inches higher with 31s. If you want lift, get a smaller lift? Or go get some tube fenders and run 0 lift? The 4in is hurting you IMO!
JC_Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.