Chrysler to Ford 8.8 axle swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Chrysler to Ford 8.8 axle swap?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Shadow83

Chrysler to Ford 8.8 axle swap?

I have a 92 4.0 Cherokee 2 WD with a very noisy Chrysler rear axle. I was watching Trucks on Spike and they said that the Ford 8.8 96 and later was a direct bolt up swap for the Cherokee but did not say whether it was for a Dana or Chrysler axle. Will the Ford 8,8 swap with the Chrysler axle?

South Florida
Shadow83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow83 View Post
I have a 92 4.0 Cherokee 2 WD with a very noisy Chrysler rear axle. I was watching Trucks on Spike and they said that the Ford 8.8 96 and later was a direct bolt up swap for the Cherokee but did not say whether it was for a Dana or Chrysler axle. Will the Ford 8,8 swap with the Chrysler axle?
i don't recall them saying that in the episode. it will bolt up with some work. you'll need to cut off all of the old ford bracketry and get new u bolt plates and shock mounts welded on before it will bolt into an xj. and you'll need a flange adapter between the pinion and the drive shaft. not really bolt in. but not too much work
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
jeepicon-com

yes, you will more than likely have to burn new perches on it.
Unread 05-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
kingofthehill
1990 XJ Cherokee 

well worth the work if you think you have the ability to do it
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

They did bolt it up at first, but that was to check pinion angle and set everything up, they went back thru and burned the purches and shock mounts on.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.