Can I turbo charge my Jeep?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Can I turbo charge my Jeep??

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

can it be done???? HELL YES!!! Anything can be boosted.
can you build that???? look in a mirror and ask that person...
can you afford it??? look in your wallet, do you see a few hundos sitting in there lonely
do you want to rebuild the motor after 10k miles of beating on it??? you have to ask yourself

anything can be boosted like i and several other said. but there are a MILLION variables comes down to your imagination, mechanical aptitude, wallet size. and what your looking to get out of it

1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

my buddy put a turbo in his jeep.. it had 150k on it when we put the turbo on.. the rings didnt last long as expected so now we are putting in a 4.7l stroker.. I know he got alot of his stuff from 505performance and got the stroker from titan engines.. If you want to talk to him PM me and I can give you his info, hes not on JF but he can tell you alot more about it than I.. Certainly not cheap!!
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
914roadracer

Turbo

I wouldn't recommend it. A motor is set up differently when it's turbocharged, (lower compression, stronger lower end, Etc). Your little motor will fail under the boost that it wasn't designed to take...

just mt 2 cents
914roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

I've been running my turbo 4.0l grand cherokee for months now. It has 215,000 miles on the engine. Thing runs like a champ. It see's about 10lbs of boost.
image-2616576040.jpg  
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you can.. but tuning is a nightmare. you cant scale the ecu to handle 2 bar map before i think 2002. Excessive tuning needs to be done digging into the ecu.. Nothing you can do with SCT or anything.

Just finished finally getting my buddies 99 wrangler done with a t4 flange turbo.. also stroked the 4.0 to a 4.7l. the 4.0 lasted about 3 months after we boosted it.. it had 145000 on it when we put the turbo on.. we were expecting the rings not to last long we just wanted to see how long they would last though.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914roadracer View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. A motor is set up differently when it's turbocharged, (lower compression, stronger lower end, Etc). Your little motor will fail under the boost that it wasn't designed to take...

just mt 2 cents
4.0 is actually a fairly low compression engine as it is.. handles boost quite well.

Unread 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tansahara99 View Post
I have a 1999 sahara straight 6 wrangler with 167000 miles on it. I am interested in putting a 3t turbo in it. I know theres many jeeps out there that have similiar turbos on them but all I could find was ones with 2.5L 4 cylinders and nothing about a 4.0L straight 6. Is it possible??
Rebuild
new pistons lower compression (9.0-9.3)
Cylinder hone
Exhaust
intake
piggyback system
Turbo
intercooler
Bearings
Gaskets

Looking at about 1500.
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
nmic2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Deep Pockets

Just remember that go fast Jeeps need stop fast brakes!
nmic2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
jpetro49
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I see this all the time on my w-body forums. People wanting to turbo their NA 3.1s to try to make their own TGPs (turbo grand prix). The TGP engine is built pretty different from the NA version of the 3.1 for that exact reason. The block is stronger, different pistons, 2bar MAP sensor... etc...

I have seen tons of people turbo an NA engine without doing ANYTHING ELSE but slap the turbo on. A few months later they needed a new engine.

There is a lot to consider when turboing an NA engine, and it has all already been mentioned so I will not be a broken record and repeat it all.

I have also considered turboing my jeep, just cuz after driving something that's turbod it's hard to drive anything that isn't...lol

But considering all the expenses involved and tuning, and basically stuff I really don't know a whole hell of a lot about I quickly dismissed the idea. Sure I would love a little more power out of the jeep, I hate having to downshift every time I get to any kind of hill, but I didn't buy the Jeep for speed, I bought it for dependability and I live out in the country where 4wd is very helpful, and going off road is fun too

In case you are interested, here is a link that displays the differences between a normal 3.1 and the turbo 3.1. I know it's a totally different engine and all, but it's just to show that a turbo engine is a lot more than just putting a turbo on.
http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php...s-every-NA-3-1
jpetro49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.