Can I turbo charge my Jeep?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Can I turbo charge my Jeep??

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
tansahara99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can I turbo charge my Jeep??

I have a 1999 sahara straight 6 wrangler with 167000 miles on it. I am interested in putting a 3t turbo in it. I know theres many jeeps out there that have similiar turbos on them but all I could find was ones with 2.5L 4 cylinders and nothing about a 4.0L straight 6. Is it possible??

tansahara99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
JeepinJarhead03

wouldn't do it without freshining up the rings and what not

it's been done - successfully might i add
JeepinJarhead03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll sell you my stock Mitsu 16G cheap! And shipping to Clearfield would be only a couple bucks.

Anything can be done. Will just need a manifold, boost controller, intercooler (maybe), more fuel, and a way to regulate the AFRs.
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Mines turbocharged.......... but then all 2.7 CRD Grand Cherokees are!! Heh heh!
alfaitalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

What's your reason for wanting to do so, and how much would you be willing to spend?

A boosted 4.0 would be a torque monster, but since there's very little in the way of demand for turbo kits for that application, it won't be cheap.

Don't take it the wrong way, but if you're asking if it can be done, I'm assuming you don't plan on doing much of the work. Labor cost would be silly.

You'd probably be better off looking into a GM LS-engine swap, or even an older Vortech V8, Ford 302, AMC 360, etc.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
EfiniMotorsport
1995 ZJ 

From what I've seen it's not that hard or expensive. I was looking at turboing my 95 Grand. I've got a few pics I can send you if you want. From what I've been able to find out all you really need to do is have a pipe bent up that goes from the exhaust manifold around the front of the motor and mount the turbo on the opposite side. then just connect the exhaust side of the turbo back into the exhaust
EfiniMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiniMotorsport View Post
From what I've seen it's not that hard or expensive. I was looking at turboing my 95 Grand. I've got a few pics I can send you if you want. From what I've been able to find out all you really need to do is have a pipe bent up that goes from the exhaust manifold around the front of the motor and mount the turbo on the opposite side. then just connect the exhaust side of the turbo back into the exhaust
Right....if you are not joking (and I hope you are), if I was you you, with your level of mechanical knowledge, I would just stick to putting fuel in it!!!
"Just have a pipe bent!!!" Physically fitting the turbo is a bit more complex than that. Even forgetting the massive thermal loads on a turbo and its piping (most turbo manifold are cast or titanium for that reason) what about an high pressure oil supply for the turbo? What about extra fuelling you will need (remap or piggy back ECU)?? What about dealing with the extra heat generated buy your engine?? What about lowering the compression ratio (usually needed to allow the use of any meaningful boost)?? What about regearing to deal with the extra power?? What about upgrading the piston/rods to cope with more power than they were ever designed for?? Will the brakes be up to stopping it once on boost!!!??Will you tranny, prop shafts, axles cope?? Etc etc etc. Its a massive (and very expensive if done right) job and one best left to the experts if you dont want to end up with an unreliable, peaking, thirsty motor.

Just my 2 pence worth!!
alfaitalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
EfiniMotorsport
1995 ZJ 

That would only get the turbo mounted and in a good location. I know there is a lot more to it tan just that but the other posts I've seen mostly revolve around where/how to mount the turbo. I have built my fair share of turbo cars and am currently building a 240 with a turbo skyline motor. I know there is much more than just getting it mounted. I have not personally turbo'ed a jeep but I know you can run about 5-6psi safely on stock internals with the correct fuel mods. Very few manifolds are titanium unless it's a money is no object build. For the most part they are stainless steel. There is no need to regear as you're not adding a ton of power and then it isn't the gear ratio that is the issue it's the strength of the components. With the low amount of boost a healthy drive train will be fine and as long as you're not going 100+ the brakes should be fine too.Check out 505 Performance. They offer turbo kits for jeeps and have a lot of info on it.
EfiniMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

505 perfomance are the folks to talk to about turbos and 4.0/4.7's
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

I'm going to be doing a turbo setup on my 95 ZJ 4.0. I'm gonna use a stock Buick grand national turbo. It will work well with a 4.0 and you can find them pretty cheap. 5-6lbs of boost will be fine on a stock motor with proper tuning.
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

^ wtf?
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
kbman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check out jp magazine they have an article about it
kbman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Right....if you are not joking (and I hope you are), if I was you you, with your level of mechanical knowledge, I would just stick to putting fuel in it!!!
"Just have a pipe bent!!!" Physically fitting the turbo is a bit more complex than that. Even forgetting the massive thermal loads on a turbo and its piping (most turbo manifold are cast or titanium for that reason) what about an high pressure oil supply for the turbo? What about extra fuelling you will need (remap or piggy back ECU)?? What about dealing with the extra heat generated buy your engine?? What about lowering the compression ratio (usually needed to allow the use of any meaningful boost)?? What about regearing to deal with the extra power?? What about upgrading the piston/rods to cope with more power than they were ever designed for?? Will the brakes be up to stopping it once on boost!!!??Will you tranny, prop shafts, axles cope?? Etc etc etc. Its a massive (and very expensive if done right) job and one best left to the experts if you dont want to end up with an unreliable, peaking, thirsty motor.

Just my 2 pence worth!!

Why would you need to worry about any re gearing or more heat from the motor if one would be only putting a couple pounds of boost in his jeep. Of course you would worry about all that if your running 25 pounds through the jeep but i have not read one build that says more than ten pounds through an I6 motor. EfiniMotorsport is trying to give the guy a couple starting out tips not laying it out step by step either so just calm down

ZJ LOVE
placoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
chadlanc

go for it, why not..
chadlanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
joshthib
1992 XJ Cherokee 

boostwerks makes a kit for the xj so i would contact them for your tj if you seriously want to get some help with the manifold, engine management etc
joshthib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.