Camshaft whoes! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Camshaft whoes!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
coolbreeze48

Camshaft whoes!

I have a 2003 jeep grand cherokee, and it has the infamouse lifters tick..
SOO.. I removed the head , to take a look at the lifters.
they all look pretty good, no dishing all even wear, nothing that jumped out at me. so i figured i would check the cam for spec b4 i installed new lifters and such.
this is a stock cam that came with the jeep. oh it is a 4.0i6
now my question is, 1st not quite sure what the lobe lift is off of the lifter.
so i used a dial indicator. and i got .242 to .250 with head off ,hydraulic lifter and pushron installed using dial indicator.
here are the lobe lift specs

Camshaft Lobe Lift
Exhaust: 6.579 mm - (0.259 in.)
Intake: 6.477 mm - (0.255 in.)

is this cam usable?
i have all the lobe specs at home and if needed i will post them

coolbreeze48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I dont what know the factory lift is but If they are all the same and are visually in excellent condition I would run it. Sadly I have spoken to to many guys that have replaced lifters or cam and lifters to still have the noise. Perhaps piston slap when cold or low oil pressure to the cam due to possibly worn cam bearings. How many miles?
If your new lifters solve this let us know. I have 2 older XJs with high mileage. One a 93 has been noisey for over 100K ( now 175K) and the 98 for the 50K ( now 222K ) Ive owned it. They both have been maintained well when Ive owned them and still have great oil pressure.
Good luck with your project and please keep us informed.
Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I have dealt with lifter noise from time to time. A quart of marvels mystery oil during your next oil change may just quiet them down. Not saying it will fix a noisy lifter, it can according to them at Marvels but I have had times the stuff has gotten rid of the noise and put me at ease.
I don't let sounds, even some what exaggerated normal sounds stop me from running an engine. It is a good idea to monitor them closely for changes though. One of the strongest engines I have built sounded like a washing machine full of nuts and bolts according to one shop mechanic, who insisted it was wrong and would not last. Another said don't listen run it and forget about the internal sounds. The second guy was right I could not kill that mill no matter how hard I tried and I drove to extremes daily, back in the day.

Make sure you place every lifter back in the same hole it came out of or there is high potential for problems in the future.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.