Biggest Rims on XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Biggest Rims on XJ

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 12-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
trouble182002
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Biggest Rims on XJ

Does anyone know whats the biggest rims that you can fit on an XJ?? With 18's what size tire can you mount?? Same with 20's?? Stock XJ...

trouble182002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

um... oh, you're from new york. makes sense now. anyway, how much drivability are you willing to sacrifice? i'm sure with enough trimming and the right set of rims and tires, you could throw some 24's or 26's on it. maybe bigger.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
madrabbitt

no way...

well, lifted maybe

but on a stock XJ i doubt you'll get more then 20's under there

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

the new charger rims look great on an XJ IMHO.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
um... oh, you're from new york. makes sense now. anyway, how much drivability are you willing to sacrifice? i'm sure with enough trimming and the right set of rims and tires, you could throw some 24's or 26's on it. maybe bigger.
Don't play that stereotypical BS.

Anyways, to the OP:

18's is about the biggest you can safely tuck under there with decent tires on a stocker. 18's are the biggest that look good on a XJ/MJ as well.

17's with some good performance tires are the perfect combo for a street XJ, though.
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Here's what I use on my XJ in the spring/summer/fall. The rim is an 18x7, and tire size is 225/60 18, just about the same height as the original 225/75 15.

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Carnutzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
Here's what I use on my XJ in the spring/summer/fall. The rim is an 18x7, and tire size is 225/60 18, just about the same height as the original 225/75 15.

Finally you post a decent side shot!

How did you remove the cross bars on your roof rack?

Thanks,
Carnutzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutzzz
Finally you post a decent side shot!
Thanks!! Haha, I know I should have posted one looooooooong ago, just never got around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutzzz
How did you remove the cross bars on your roof rack?

You just need to remove the Torx bolts that hold the rails onto the roof, then slide off the caps and then the bars will slide off. It's a bit of a PITA but I think it looks much better. Did you ever wind up getting the 18's on yours?

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
KarenCaren

With proper lift. I think you can fit a 33" tire on that XJ.
KarenCaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
Carnutzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
Thanks!! Haha, I know I should have posted one looooooooong ago, just never got around to it.

You just need to remove the Torx bolts that hold the rails onto the roof, then slide off the caps and then the bars will slide off. It's a bit of a PITA but I think it looks much better. Did you ever wind up getting the 18's on yours?
Ahh ok- thanks.

My 18's are all cleaned-up and sitting in the basement. I bought some well used tires for test fitment purposes, but since they are well-used I'm waiting until I've completed all of my holiday traveling before putting them on. With my sister's wedding, Thanksgiving, etc. I've been driving all over the South East the last few months. Didn't want to hit the road with worn tires and a spare that's now the wrong size.

I'll post some pics in January of my rig with the 300C wheels wearing 235/65/18s at stock ride height. Also leaning towards the OME 2 in. lift, but that won't be until Spring.

Did you re-use your stock lug nuts or get some specific to those wheels?
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutzzz View Post
Ahh ok- thanks.

My 18's are all cleaned-up and sitting in the basement. I bought some well used tires for test fitment purposes, but since they are well-used I'm waiting until I've completed all of my holiday traveling before putting them on. With my sister's wedding, Thanksgiving, etc. I've been driving all over the South East the last few months. Didn't want to hit the road with worn tires and a spare that's now the wrong size.

I'll post some pics in January of my rig with the 300C wheels wearing 235/65/18s at stock ride height. Also leaning towards the OME 2 in. lift, but that won't be until Spring.

Did you re-use your stock lug nuts or get some specific to those wheels?
Sounds good! I reused my original lugnuts; they were in good shape, and the taper on them matched the Magnum wheels perfectly. The lug holes are a bit larger because the 300C/Magnum uses a larger wheel stud, but the outer edge along the taper is exactly the same size. And, the center hole is exactly the right size to go over the front hubs. Just tighten them down in a star pattern slowly so they all seat properly, then torque to spec. Make sure you post some pics of your rig when you put the 300 wheels on!

Unread 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Carnutzzz

Thanks for the lug info.

Pictures soon! Should be 'interesting' with all of that chrome- at least the chrome wheels will match the grill and the rear hatch trim which are chrome from the factory. I'll be blinging for sure.

The stock wheels are going to get some Mud-Terrains or something similar so I'll be able to completely change the look of my Jeep at whim within an hour and 2 beers in the garage.
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Brizio
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice wheels!
Brizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutzzz View Post
Thanks for the lug info.

Pictures soon! Should be 'interesting' with all of that chrome- at least the chrome wheels will match the grill and the rear hatch trim which are chrome from the factory. I'll be blinging for sure.

The stock wheels are going to get some Mud-Terrains or something similar so I'll be able to completely change the look of my Jeep at whim within an hour and 2 beers in the garage.
Bling is OK, as long as it's not over-done. It'll handle quite a bit better with the 18s as well, so that's a big bonus. I have a set of TJ steel wheels with 225/75 15 Wrangler GSAs that I use from December-March. They're good in the snow, which we've already had this year in NJ. Gotta be prepared, especially when hauling my wife and kids around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizio View Post
Nice wheels!
Thanks man!!

Unread 12-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
madrabbitt

Kinda makes me wonder what the rims would look like on my WJ.

After winter is done, of course.

I've been keeping my eye out for OEM jeep chrome 18 inchers, but not having much luck.

Of course, with the amount of highway miles i drive, 18 inchers with good tires isnt exactly a bad thing.

It would also let me put really aggressive tires on the OEM 16's for when I need it.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.