Best Cam Selection for more torque and HP ??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Best Cam Selection for more torque and HP ???

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #31
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So is it the banks version then? I havent had any problems with the welds.

Projected date of completion - lol

www.jeepstrokers.com
seanyb505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #32
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505
So is it the banks version then? I havent had any problems with the welds.
it is the ebay knock off version in which i am hoping will be good quality
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #33
jirvin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPINWI
If a stroker were that easy, everybody would have one by now. What about injectors? You need oversized injectors to keep the A/F ratio correct. What about a crankshaft spacer for the harmonic balancer? What's the dish volume of those pistons? Better plan on some machine work to get the CR and quench correct. What about your cooling system? Is your 10+ year old cooling system up to the task of cooling a 15% larger engine? What's the condition of your head? You surely wouldn't put a high mileage head on a new short block. I think you get the idea of where I'm going with this.

If you can build a stroker with those parts for around a grand, you my friend are amazing. But back to reality for the rest of us, those parts will be about half the cost of a stroker.

As for the cam selection, the best bet is one made by mopar...either the OEM cam or the mopar performance cams. Crane and Comp Cams have not figured out how to build a reliable cam, and nobody I know of has gotten more than 34k miles before one of their cams has worn out. The Crane 753905 is the most popular 4.0 cam, but it's also the most notorious for premature failure. Do some research, and you'll have second thoughts about Crane.
I didn't know about the crankshaft spacer, I was wondering if you needed anything else to build a stroker. I knew you needed bigger injectors which you can get on ebay for about 150 bucks, but I was just talking about internal wise. 2 bigger fans, and a better water pump should take care of cooling bigger radiator definantly will. You can get rebuild kits without the pistons, for 100 bucks cheaper, and you can get pistons w/ 0-30cc dish for 125 bucks. You can put a stock HO head on a stroker if you want too, but you wouldn't see maximum gains. I don't know how much that spacer is, but if you can do the machine work work and rebuild than you can build a stroker for about a grand.
jirvin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #34
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123
it is the ebay knock off version in which i am hoping will be good quality
Yeah ebay knock offs are good quality. oh wait, turns out theyre the same as all the other knock offs

www.jeepstrokers.com
Unread 01-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #35
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alex will you be getting new springs to go with the Mopar cam? I was just looking at the Jeep Connection site and it said they recommend 4529214 springs. They also offer the Mopar cam for 179. I imagine shipping will be more, but you could get the springs from the same place too. Hurry up and do this so I know if its worth buying another cam. Im ordering parts for the stroker.

www.jeepstrokers.com
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #36
JEEPINWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505
Alex will you be getting new springs to go with the Mopar cam? I was just looking at the Jeep Connection site and it said they recommend 4529214 springs. They also offer the Mopar cam for 179. I imagine shipping will be more, but you could get the springs from the same place too. Hurry up and do this so I know if its worth buying another cam. Im ordering parts for the stroker.

HD valve springs aren't needed for the Mopar cam. The stock springs are good up to .450" of lift, and I've ran my stroker up to 4800 rpm's without issues. That's with a Crane 753905 cam (.484/.456" lift) and stock springs. That Mopar cam isn't too much more agressive than stock, so it should be fine up the 5200 rpm's.
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #37
seanyb505
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How many miles are on your engine? Im just asking because of the crane cam failures. I dont think Im going to get a cam for it right away. I know I can get a 4.6 running in the Jeep for several hundred less if I used the stock one. If I want one ill do it right with the all-new valvetrain stuff later on.

www.jeepstrokers.com
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #38
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of the cam failures have to do with a lack of ZDDP in modern oil or an improper break in method. I don't think Crane's are any more suspetible than other cams, they are just more widely used. Use a good diesel oil and a bottlfe of GM EOS or the like and you will be ok as long as your valve train gemotery is correct (correct preload, correct springs, correct rockers, etc.)
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #39
Cgross

I am also wanting to rebuild my 1996 4.0 that is in my XJ. Its got about 175k miles on it and runs great with the K&N CAI, aftermarket header, and the straight pipe exhaust, but I want to start fresh with it and get it running at maximum capacity and have it forever. I want to put the 91-95 heads instead of the 96 for more power and life, and I also would like to add high performance cams as well. Are there any other parts I can get for my engine rebuild that would maximize flow/power, longer life, and/or gas mileage? If so, where can I find them, or find a deal on them?
Cgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #40
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On my 87 258, I installed a holley 470 TA 4 barrel, offy intake, rollor rockers, ported head, header, DUI distributer, MSD and the cam I used to tie it all together was comp cams high energy 4X4 cam, part#X4250H. The 258 screams, runs like a small V-8. It makes awesome power in the low to mid range. It's all good, cause the 258 is a low reving engine anyway, it makes peak torque at around 1,800 rpm's, witch is great for off road, it's like a diesel. It's a screamer in the 8th mile. With 4:10 gears it runs out of breath in the quarter, but it rips off the line.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.