Best 2" lift for street only use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Best 2" lift for street only use?

The Spring DynoMax rebate is here for 2015!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 03-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Best 2" lift for street only use?

Looking to do a 2" lift on my LJ, but a BB is only going to leave me with my ten year old stock springs. I'd like to find 2" coils that are best for street use, vs off-roading (which I'm never going to do). "Progressive" (something) coils was the term I heard used, which I believe means they are asymmetrical.

A secondary issue is can I just buy coils without the shocks? From what I understand (and that's limited, but growing rapidly) everyone throws out the shocks that come with these kits. I'd like to buy what I want to buy, a la carte, but of course, i'm not even sure which things I should buy.

To summarize, I think I want:

1. Street friendly (progressive?) coils
2. I'm not even what else I'd want, aside from perhaps an adjustable trackbar, which i could use some advice on as well.

Thanks!
Jason

jason370 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Following this. You are building my kind of Jeep !!
Unread 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Almost every vendor will sell you their springs independently. At 2" for springs look at Old Man Emu or BDS.
Unread 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Almost every vendor will sell you their springs independently. At 2" for springs look at Old Man Emu or BDS.
An issue I keep seeing come up, is that most coils are rated at a given height factoring in build up jeeps being heavier than stock. It seems stock jeeps run nearly an inch or more higher than the advertised measurement. Any thoughts on this, and how to actually get a true 2" coil?
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Following this. You are building my kind of Jeep !!
(Following up here)

After a good deal of exhaustive research, (and bugging as many forum members as possible...sorry and thanks!) I bought a pair of 1.5" Heavy Duty Old Man Emu coils for the front, and 2" Heavy Duty OME coils for the rear. Additionally, I bought Bilstein 5100 2" shocks front and rear.

$350 for the shocks
$330 for the springs

There's your 2" street friendly lift. Let's see how street friendly it is. Gonna cost me another 400 in labor to have someone install them, as I have nowhere to do the work in nyc, nor the tools, nor the knowledge, although it seems pretty straight forward. If I had a garage, I'd do it.

I went with heavy duty because I think the 1.5" coils will end up being more like 2-2.5" since I'm running fully stock (it seems most coils run higher if you don't have aftermarket heavier bumpers and winches, which makes sense to me). In the rear, I always carry some tools and various items, although I keep the rear seat in storage, so I'm thinking I usually carry an extra 50-75lbs back there; I'm unsure how that will effect the height of the rear coils so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Next up I'm looking at 32" BFG T/A KO2's (still have no idea what wheels to buy though), probably in 265/70/17, and I'll probably install the 500 dollar Black Magic brake kit. Hopefully I'll get this all knocked out in the next week or so and document it all and put up some pics of the install.
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to drive up to Westchester we could probably get those shocks and springs changed in a hour or two. Save you a little money.

Oh, and stick with 15" wheels. At 17" the tires are much more expensive and honestly at the tire size you are talking the 15" will ride better too.
Unread 03-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you want to drive up to Westchester we could probably get those shocks and springs changed in a hour or two. Save you a little money.

Oh, and stick with 15" wheels. At 17" the tires are much more expensive and honestly at the tire size you are talking the 15" will ride better too.
Dinner's on me (so are drinks!). That would certainly be the best case scenario for me, so I will most certainly take you up on that good sir. I'll pm you about it, the hardware should be arriving any day.

As far as tires/wheels go, I just prefer how a 17" wheel looks, especially once the additional 2" is lifted. It;s a bit too much rubber with the 15" wheel and the 32" tire for my taste. I'm not thrilled about dropping the extra grand on rims, but i'm hoping it's a one time expense , especially considering these are the first mods/upgrades I've even considered doing on this Jeep in the ten years I've owned it.
Unread 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Get some BEFORE !!! and after photos.

Take them from the same spot for comparison.
Unread 03-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

In looking at 15 vs 16&17 tires... understand there are very few 16or17s for light trucks. Almost all are heavy 8or10ply tires for 1ton trucks. The sidewalls will be stiff. The ride will be rougher than a 15 and they could be as much as double the price of the same tire in a 15" size.

I've got 16s & 17s but my next tires will be 15s.
Unread 03-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
In looking at 15 vs 16&17 tires... understand there are very few 16or17s for light trucks. Almost all are heavy 8or10ply tires for 1ton trucks. The sidewalls will be stiff. The ride will be rougher than a 15 and they could be as much as double the price of the same tire in a 15" size.

I've got 16s & 17s but my next tires will be 15s.
Yep, I've just learned this all today while on a very long call with tire rack. That E rating kept bugging me, and the more I researched, the more it seems I want nothing to do with an E rated tire. Of course, all 31"/32" KO2's are E rated so, I guess I'm going to have to scrap that tire as a possibility.

I think I'm going to go with a 16" wheel, there seem to be plenty that I like with the proper bolt pattern and backspacing (just learned about this too) for the TJ/LJ.
Unread 05-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
02wjfreak

Are you planning on trimming a moderate amount? I did the same setup and trimmed and still wound up lifting higher due to rubbing
02wjfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #12
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You will wish you had the 15" tires,17's are going to ride like shat.
Why did you go with the heavy springs,with no hardtop and extra weight?
Did you explain your intentions to the person who sold you the springs?
I have a VERY heavy LJ ( close to 5K ) and there are times that I wish that I wouldn't have gone heavy.
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #13
sdjp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OME HD springs are meant for ALOT of weight and regardless of the lift it gives you they won't react the way they're supposed to as light as you are.

As others have said don't go 17", 15" or 16" is plenty. Take it from me (I have 16"s) tires are WAY more expensive for 16"s and 17"s vice 15"s.

Nothing wrong with an E rated tire. A bit firmer handling, depending on manufacturer you'll get a more durable side wall, and you can air down more than a C or D without losing a bead.
sdjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
You will wish you had the 15" tires,17's are going to ride like shat.
Why did you go with the heavy springs,with no hardtop and extra weight?
Did you explain your intentions to the person who sold you the springs?
I have a VERY heavy LJ ( close to 5K ) and there are times that I wish that I wouldn't have gone heavy.
I ended up getting a hard top, and I carry 100-200 lbs with of tools and various items in the back. I read a million reviews saying how the non hd were on the soft side and ended up sagging after a few months. Also, I plan on getting new front and rear bumpers, and possibly a winch.

The ride is vastly improved and the handling is really good, although that could also be due to the new shocks, tires, sway bar links, bushings and mounts. It's hard to say if the non hd would be better for my purposes or not. I guess I'd have to buy a new set and install them to know for sure. I might do it if I get bored, just because.
Unread 05-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjp View Post
OME HD springs are meant for ALOT of weight and regardless of the lift it gives you they won't react the way they're supposed to as light as you are.

As others have said don't go 17", 15" or 16" is plenty. Take it from me (I have 16"s) tires are WAY more expensive for 16"s and 17"s vice 15"s.

Nothing wrong with an E rated tire. A bit firmer handling, depending on manufacturer you'll get a more durable side wall, and you can air down more than a C or D without losing a bead.
I ended up getting 16" A/R Baja wheels, and 32" Goodyear Adventure w/Kevlar tires, which are p-metric rated. At 28 psi they ride pretty soft on the bumps and potholes, and handle well at highway speeds...they are also very quiet, and are some of the best rain tires I've ever driven on. The only downside is they aren't the most aggressive looking tread in the world, which I think makes them look like a small 32". My next set of tires will be 33".

Here's the urban crusader...
dsc_0022_1431544129857.jpg   dsc_0023_1431544439300.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.