bent license plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > bent license plate

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
LogansRun
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bent license plate

Is illegal to bend the license plate around the rear corner of the jeep. I have a YJ that I relocated my fuel bezzle. The pate would still have the stock light so that's not a issue.

94 YJ, 2.5Ltr, SOA, 1 inch BL, 79 F150 HP D44 with an OX Locker, 8.8 LSD, 35x15.50 Goodyear Kevlars, 5.13 gears, CB, SYE, 1 inch motor lift, skid plate spacers removed, Offroad lights, XRC8 winch, and the list goes on.
LogansRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why not? So long as it can be read. Get cool and rivet it in. If you get a ticket, it's a fix it ticket and just "fix it"
brokenyoujoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
rLEEermy

tape leaves to your car so the police mistake it for a bush
rLEEermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have had mine like that for a couple years. Honestly don't think it is legal, but never had a problem with it including once when I got a fix it ticket for the taillight on the opposite side being out (bad ground).
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
LogansRun
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. It's going on tonight.
94 YJ, 2.5Ltr, SOA, 1 inch BL, 79 F150 HP D44 with an OX Locker, 8.8 LSD, 35x15.50 Goodyear Kevlars, 5.13 gears, CB, SYE, 1 inch motor lift, skid plate spacers removed, Offroad lights, XRC8 winch, and the list goes on.
LogansRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
printingray

You should fix it anyway.
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Indy

It will be illegal in most states. But many states have laws on the books that state a plate cannot be modified and must be fully visible at all times. That means many license plate frames are illegal as they cover portions of the plate, parking stickers on the plate are also illegal (had that conversation with a LE when I was in college, that required the sticker to use the college lots. Locally you're supposed to have a front and rear plate, front plate has to be mounted on the exterior of the vehicle so sitting on the dash is a no-no. I've stopped several for lacking the front plate, at least 1 of my vehicles doesn't have one. If I get stopped, I get stopped.

At the end of the day you may never have an issue, but if your laws are similar and LE wants to stop you for some reason, it's all the reason they need.

If you think it's only a fix it ticket, make sure that exists beyond the officers discretion. If it doesn't, the fact it was wrong at the time of the stop = you're paying the fine if the LE doesn't feel the need to dismiss it for you. The offense occurred and fixing it after the fact doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are no fix it tickets in wyoming and 0 mandatory warnings as an example. I did dismiss several over the years but nothing said I had to and gave 100 warnings for every ticket I wrote. I just hated going to court .

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.