Auto-crossing a YJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Auto-crossing a YJ?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go find a used civic, you will probably keep the family happier, have a better autocross car and family car.

Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
MatXS650

Fuzzy, I have a Neon ACR that I DD and while that's a very good autocross car, Its also got over 100K on the clock and I'd be out a commuter vehicle if I broke it. Wranglers appeal to me for their simplicity, size, open-air motoring, enormous aftermarket, and cheap buy-in. Yeah, a Firechicken would be closer in original purpose, but those things are huge on the outside, tiny on the inside, and pretty porky. If there were such thing as a 4/5 scale F-Body, I'd never have thought about a Wrangler for my purposes.

ltrail, I'd use it as a weekend runabout, bomb-the-B-roads, and down-to-the-shore kind of vehicle. Doesn't have to be off-road-capable to be good for family fun.
MatXS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

That's fair. I just feel that every vehicle has a purpose. It was made to do something and taking it the opposite direction seems a little crazy. I would think the money could be better spent on any of ten different cars that came more for that purpose. I'm not gonna throw an rx7 on a frame and full size axles anytime soon lol.

I did see a 4 seat sand car behind a ford Taurus the other day though! To each his own. Obviously you weren't too concerned about anyone hurting your feelings and had a good idea of how it was going to go when you posted.

I wish you the best in your adventure and I want pictures!
Unread 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did anyone check out the link to the XJ I posted earlier. If you can do it to an XJ, I would imagine a YJ is possible. Just sayin'.....

Unread 08-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
MatXS650

ltrail, I'd LOVE a 4-seat sand rail...for the street--but those are boku bucks and scratch-built cars are sometimes hard to register and get licensed for street use--which is very important to me. Alternately, I'd love a LoCost, but bodywork is not my strong suit and the very few 4-seaters I've seen look like hell. Hard to keep the proportions looking good, you know?

I saw that before I posted here, Mr. Thunder--it's what gave me some hope that there is some precedent and therefore...maybe...something of a knowledge-base where this is concerned. Awesome project, that's for sure. And I was thinking that with a 4X2 model, I might not have to do so much clean-up at the front. On the other hand, I keep wondering how well the K-member out of a scrapped Neon or PT would mate up (obviously welding and persuading required) the Jeep to give me a real front suspension and rack & pinion.
MatXS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What is autocross? I'll have to ask my son... He's doing something with my old 2door civic that involves a V-tec and transmission from Japan...
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it could be a fun project. I'm sure people will get a kick out of it at the track, even better if your putting up good numbers.

Rip out the front axle, driveshaft, leafs, and transfer case and sale them. That should save you a tone of weight and the money will offset the cost of an ifs/a-arm type setup. Mustang wheel/tires should swap over so you could find some nice 17"-20" rims with nice low-pro tires easy. Drop it as low as you can, maybe pic up a fiberglass hood/front clip to save a few #s, big'ol breaks.... The list can go on and on.

Id like to see it happen, just the see what you do.

Good luck
jbab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
motor12
2013 JK Wrangler 

In 1972 i owned a CJ5 and autocrossed it more than once and even won first place in my class. Looking back ,i don't think i would do it again. The only mod was larger tires and the only option i got when i bought new was a heater.It sure was a bare bones vehicle compared to my 2013 JK i own today.
motor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
alittleoff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out YouTube for Colorado Ice Racing. Although mostly flat fenders you'll get the idea.

Steve
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #25
Shaneo7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

In other words your going to take one of the slowest vehicles made and try to make it fast and one of the only vehicles with the sole purpose of offroading and completely change those abilities seems like a lot of money into modifications why wouldn't you choose a vehicle that suits the purpose a little better? I mean if its a project just to make something cool looking sure but I don't realty think its going to win many races unless you dump some serious cash in it. like the one guy said at least get one with coil springs then you just cut a few coils and it'll lower itself with leaf springs you'll have to buy a lowering kit and your in for a bumpy ride.
Shaneo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #26
RATBASTIRD
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #27
RATBASTIRD
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is how we do it in Amerika

Unread 01-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Classy! Live that willys. I think tandy Ellis did a flat fender hot rod. I still couldn't see doing a yj. If I had a 2dr Cherokee 2wd maybe. There was one for sale locally last year but had mopar 440 or something ridiculous and was a straight shot kind of built.
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #29
jarcher401

You are gunna need those roll me over stickers
jarcher401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.