Audio Help! BASS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > Audio Help! BASS

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
sagejeep
1999 WJ 

Audio Help! BASS

i know quite a bit about audio, but not necessarily the car aspect of audio. For instance, a 10"sub in a wrangler would be plenty, but what would be perfect for a jeep grand cherokee?

i listen to pretty much everything and im not look to drop thousands of dollars. whats everyone's input or preference for an entry level set up? size? amps? brands? cause as of right now i have ZERO bass.

Unread 05-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Zakrad_u
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well what are you looking for? Sound quality or spl? If you are looking for something small that still hits hard , I would do 2 sundown sa-8s. Also, I would keep to mainly sundown, audioque, treo and fi audio. Also when planning on a set up remember that wires are just as important as the amp and can cost just as much
Zakrad_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been out of the audio thing for a LONG time, but are the Bazooka tubes still made? Those used to be very nice and small in size.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
logisticalstyle
1999 WJ 

When my Grand Cherokee was alive I had two 12" kicker Comp subs and they wounded pretty nice. I had them in an Explorer before that and I think they sounded better in the Explorer. The Explorer had different dimensions so I sure that played a part in the difference in sound. They still sound great in the Grand cherokee though. And yes they still make the Bazooka tubes.
logisticalstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
sagejeep
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakrad_u View Post
Well what are you looking for? Sound quality or spl? If you are looking for something small that still hits hard , I would do 2 sundown sa-8s. Also, I would keep to mainly sundown, audioque, treo and fi audio. Also when planning on a set up remember that wires are just as important as the amp and can cost just as much
sound quality is must. i just want enough woofer that my trebles and mids wont overpower it.

i was thinking two 10s or one 12. not sure which would be optimal.
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Zakrad_u
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would do 1 or 2 sa8s. You are probably thinking that they don't sound good since they are little 8s but they get low ms loud. Pretty sure a 153 db was done with 4 of them.
Zakrad_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I love my single JL 10w3 in my WK! That is as much money as i could allow my self to spend on a system, as the CJ is still a mess.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have 2 10inch Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 subs powered by an xtant 121m amp. It sounds great in my XJ. The one time I had the SPL measured it hit 130db. They have a real nice sound to em, I couldn't be happier with them.
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Elijahs02TJ

Bass Help

I just bought an Infinity Bass Link. It is a sealed enclosure with a 250 watt amp built right in. It also has a sub link control that I mounted in the dash. It is a quick easy hook up and added a TON of sound to my jeep. It only took up 1/3d of the trunk space behind the seat. it has a 10" forward facing, 10" rear facing passive radiator adjustable gain and frequency control but let me tell you it hits low. It can be mounted Vertical or horizontal...(FLAT) to the floor. Only 4 wires and your booming. IF you dont have a sub out...dont worry it can recieve your rear speaker inputs which also act as the blue wire antenna to turn on your Servo as well....... here is a link to it, but I bought mine on ebay for $26.00 delivered! guy said it didnt work and I was going to buy it for parts.... but it works great.... dont think he hooked it up right

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-BassLink.html
Elijahs02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
CmJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I currently have two kicker 12 comp subs they hit hard and sound great
CmJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
doubleOHxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I currently run a Powerbass 12(free) in a slotted box(not sure what its tuned to) with a Jensen 5 channel amp with about 250 going to the sub and it sounds great. The amp was only 180 and the wiring was around 35 bucks. The head unit plays a role in it as well. My pioneer made the set up sound alot more crisp and had more adjustability on more levels than my JVC which I am terribly unhappy with and will be replacing soon. JMO
doubleOHxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
sikrsix
1999 WJ 

I ran an Audioque 15" in my grand cherokee for the past year. I have a baby on the way and needed to free up some room in my hatch but refused to lose all my sound. I went with 2 Audiobahn aluminum 10" (i got for $25 haha) and they are just as loud as my $350 15" sub was in half the room. I agree with ^^^ About the HU playing a major role in clarity and adjustments, but do not buy an amplifier thats worth its weight in scrap metal (Jensen, Pyramid, Pyle etc) You cant expect an amp to be clear when its costs $45 to make. haha
sikrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikrsix View Post
I ran an Audioque 15" in my grand cherokee for the past year. I have a baby on the way and needed to free up some room in my hatch but refused to lose all my sound. I went with 2 Audiobahn aluminum 10" (i got for $25 haha) and they are just as loud as my $350 15" sub was in half the room. I agree with ^^^ About the HU playing a major role in clarity and adjustments, but do not buy an amplifier thats worth its weight in scrap metal (Jensen, Pyramid, Pyle etc) You cant expect an amp to be clear when its costs $45 to make. haha
I find it hard to believe the audiobahns were anywhere close to as loud as an AQ HDC unless you were underpowering the HDC. I had two of the SDC 15s and they were loud enough to break parts on my old xj.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
sikrsix
1999 WJ 

XJ's break parts just sitting in the driveway. As I was building my "Baby friendly" set up I was thinking the whole time, this isnt going to be what I want... Until I turned them on. I had 1500 watts running to my 15 and now I have the same 1500 watts running to my 10's. The Audioque could play sub 35hz like nobodys business and I wont even attempt this on the 10's, but for 85% of music the 10's are louder. Nobody is more upset then me, thinking I could saved money and space from the start, but again the sub 35hz with the audioque makes me never regret having installed that sub. If I could somehow make a smaller box and have it sound the same (impossible) The 10's would come right back out.

** Quick side note** 15" cone area vs 20" cone area with the 2 10's to your setup of 30" cone area with 2 15's ... Really cant compare any of these apples to apples.
sikrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
doubleOHxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Whats the problem with Jensen? The amp I purchased sounds great IMO and when I got it and had an RCA issue(not the amp) My manufacturer warranty replaced my amp no questions asked. They just sent me a new one and I shipped the old one back in the original box. Now Pyramid and Pyle I can understand, but Jensen?
doubleOHxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.