alternator swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > alternator swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
lil_xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

alternator swap

i have a 94 cherokee with the 2.5 and im getting the headlight dimming real bad when the bass hits.i want to upgrade my alternator but dont want to spend a bundle on a green machine alternator.i have hears thru the grapevine that the alternator on the late 90s grand cherokees with the v8 will fit with just changing out the wiring.can anyone verify that one of those alternators will fit.please help,my little 90 amp alternator cant take much more.

94 xj,4 cyl, 5sp,2wd 2 dr.plan on building it up for sound comps,so far i have tweeters on the dash,6.5 in component speakers in the doors and one kicker L7 12 powered by a kicker zx750.1.future plans is to add another L7 and another zx750.1 and lots of sound deadener.
lil_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
ipath43
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Relaying the headlights and buying a cap is out of the question?

Danger Town - Waffled - SWASS
ipath43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
lil_xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i have never messed with power caps and never have heard about relaying the headlights.im looking to add a second battery because im adding a second L7 and a zx2500.1 amp.
94 xj,4 cyl, 5sp,2wd 2 dr.plan on building it up for sound comps,so far i have tweeters on the dash,6.5 in component speakers in the doors and one kicker L7 12 powered by a kicker zx750.1.future plans is to add another L7 and another zx750.1 and lots of sound deadener.
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
ipath43
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well the caps work pretty well.. they're typically less expensive then a high output alt. - and people use them in place of a second battery when working with car audio.

I can't recall the formula, but I think it's 1 farad Per 1,000 watts.

You can google relayed headlights, and find all sorts of wiring diagrams/kits. Everyone can benifit from relayed headlights.

Sorry, I'm new to the whole jeep thing, I would answer your original question if I could.
ipath43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Azalin_00
1997 ZJ 

If I were u I'd forget replacing the alt and also forget about a cap. You need a second batt in order to help out with ur dimming and voltage drops. If u want something good without breaking the bank, go with a kinetik battery. Their Hc800 has the power of 200 1 farad caps and can usually be bought for less than $100. I used to have 2 L7 15"s but with the help of the second batt I had very minimal voltage drop and no dimming. I've since upgraded my sound system and my kinetik is still helping with voltage drop and dimming, even with more than 3250 watts rms.
My Jeep
Azalin_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
lil_xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i'm going with a second battery.my local shop set me up with whole new system,im ditching the kicker gear and running 2 memphis audio mojo 10'' subs with a mtx roadthunder 1k amp in a custom box.the extra battey power come from a optima red top.i think im going to replace the cheapy battery under the hood for a red top also.zero gauge wiring everywhere and maybe even the big three upgrade(if needed).thanks to everyone that has replyed to my question.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.