6"x9" Speakers on lift gate??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > 6"x9" Speakers on lift gate???

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 09-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
cheekymcgee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

6"x9" Speakers on lift gate???

Can this be done? Has anyone done this already? If so please post some pics.

cheekymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It can definitely be done, but I've never done it. It's easy to remove the plastic liftgate panel, the wiring can be run through the headliner then into the hatch through one of the rubber wire boots at the top. You'd most likely have to mount the speakers directly to the plastic panel as there is not much sheetmetal behind it. Use tons of dynamat on the both the backside of the plastic panel and the inside of the liftgate's metal shell, or be prepared for severe panel vibration/distortion... Youd be better off working with the stock rear roof speaker locations if your cherokee is equipped with them.
DefaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
cheekymcgee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've got the stock roof speakers in there and they sound okay. I was just looking for a little more mids and lows. I've got a good set of 6x9s from my last car just lying around and figured I could put them to good use. Thanks for the quick reply.
cheekymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
BondoNutz
1996 ZJ 

Hi, I realize this thread is from Sept but felt I should share.

6X9's in the rear hatch is feasable but requires work and you'll loose the rear glass wiper motor and mechanism.
It was labor intensive and I had to do a bit of cutting to make room for 4 6x9's, if you put some power to the speakers Dynamat or some sort of sound proofing will be needed to prevent rattle and vibrations.

I stuffed 4 6x9 JL Audio's in my hatch and applied a lot of Dynamat and it sounds pretty awesome with 150watts RMS going to each .
You will need new hatch struts if installing 4 speakers, it's heavy !

BondoNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
h2oskikrazy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoNutz View Post
Hi, I realize this thread is from Sept but felt I should share.

6X9's in the rear hatch is feasable but requires work and you'll loose the rear glass wiper motor and mechanism.
It was labor intensive and I had to do a bit of cutting to make room for 4 6x9's, if you put some power to the speakers Dynamat or some sort of sound proofing will be needed to prevent rattle and vibrations.

I stuffed 4 6x9 JL Audio's in my hatch and applied a lot of Dynamat and it sounds pretty awesome with 150watts RMS going to each .
You will need new hatch struts if installing 4 speakers, it's heavy !

Looks good! Better than I would expect. How did you fasten the sound board to the panel? If you only put 2 speakers back there, would there be room for the wiper motor? I have thought about mounting 6x9s in the rear door panels, but I'm not sure there is room. Perhaps with some 3/4 inch spacers, but I'm not sure I would want them sticking out that far.
h2oskikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
BondoNutz
1996 ZJ 

Sorry for late reply, my Jeepforum emails were caught in Spam folder and didn't know it.

If you do 2 speakers go to the outside then you can retain wiper motor.

Sound board fastened via nut and bolt, used finishing caps in black so you can't see the hardware in pic.
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
frozenraw2000
1996 ZJ 

thats awsome. I was just thinking about doing that,, if i do two speakers and fill the empty space with insulation, that will take away the vibration right?
frozenraw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
BondoNutz
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenraw2000 View Post
thats awsome. I was just thinking about doing that,, if i do two speakers and fill the empty space with insulation, that will take away the vibration right?
I put Dynamat on every surface inside my gate I could reach, inside the exterior gate skin and BOTH sides of the inner pannel that the speakers are mounted and I have no rattle and I'm pumping 150watts RMS to each 6x9.

Just with the 6x9s going it sound incredible and loud as a MoFo.

Last edited by BondoNutz; 03-08-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
frozenraw2000
1996 ZJ 

I'm going to do it once the warmer weather comes. the wiring is going to the ***** for me, I was going to buy the speaker harness. but sence I'm going to replace all the speaker and get rid of the tweeters they are all gone ,junk. so going to learn to sauder on the fly,
frozenraw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
BondoNutz
1996 ZJ 

I was able to get 4 large speaker wires through the rubber boot from the roof to the hatch that the wires for the lights and motor run through.

You mean "solder" ?
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
blade102284
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dodge Chargers use a pushed out and agled 6X9 speaker bracket that you can use to push them out and angle them. The Dealers sell the speakers with the bracket for around $15. Might help with your doors or your hatch, I used them for the hatch on my old 93 XJ and it worked great and never vibrated a bit unless the hatch was open with volume all the way up. Might be worth looking into and most dealers stock those speakers. Just ask for a front door speaker for a 2007 Charger.
blade102284 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.