JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f180/)
-   -   2wd Wranglers (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f180/2wd-wranglers-816646/)

OSUBauer 07-14-2009 10:45 AM

2wd Wranglers

Anybody here have 2wd Wranglers? My wife now wants a Jeep and I know she will never wheel or drive in the elements requiring 4wd. She just wants the open air and rugged looks. I figured I'd just put some bigger tires on to make it look good. What do you think?

Mayfair_Jeeper 07-14-2009 10:46 AM

I think you can only get the 2WD in the Unlimited 4-door...

tuck 07-14-2009 07:16 PM

just get the 4 wheel drive, it'll add to the resale value when you decide to sell it.:2c:

DEVILDG03 07-14-2009 07:26 PM

I agree you have to think of resale value! And really a 2WD ?Come on ya never know when you might need 4WD!

OSUBauer 07-15-2009 12:22 AM

I know. I'm hung up on a 4wd too. This one was just a pretty good deal and all.

damunoz32 07-15-2009 08:59 AM

I own the unlimited 2WD. It's my first car. So I can't complain. I would however LOVE to have the 4WD

OSUBauer 07-15-2009 09:28 PM

Pretty nice 1st car. Have you done anything to it yet?

damunoz32 07-15-2009 11:18 PM

not yet :/ I'm planning to make it nice and beefy. Just like a 4x4... But... without the rocks, and mud, and sand, and water...

I take care of her like a baby.

I'm ordering my first little accessory tomorrow, A lockable mopar gas cover.

Tony1911 07-16-2009 03:41 AM

damunoz32: I don't know. Since you said you want to off-road, wouldn't it make more sense to save the modification money on a four-wheel drive vehicle? Then you'd have a beater you can take to the trails and a separate daily driver. On the other hand, Wranglers do look so much nicer with a bit of lift and bigger tires, no arguing about that. I guess it comes down to what your priorities are.

And to discuss the topic in general, personally, I've never really understood the whole concept of a two-wheel drive Jeep. Especially Wrangler. I can understand that not everyone wants to take their Jeep to technical trails and see how far they can push it before something breaks, but to me, the whole point of a Jeep is that it is more capable than a regular car. You don't need to be up to your door handles in mud to appreciate four-wheel drive, a simple snow storm ought to be enough for that. And the whole point of a Wrangler is its off-road capability. Things like fuel economy or comfort are compromised in favor of it. People tolerate the negatives of a Wrangler because of its off-roading capabilities. But without a four-wheel drive, how much of those capabilities are left? Does accepting the compromises in on-road behavior make sense at that point? Not having seen what a two wheel drive Wrangler can do, these are just questions, not statements. Although, I do have to admit that a Wrangler does look very nice... And I suppose it does at least have better ground clearance than other convertibles. :) That alone might be enough to get you where you are going, if the point of the vehicle is just to get you to the places where you want to go and not off-roading for the sake of off-roading.

Eh. I guess I just feel strongly that "form follows function" - or, at least it should. Usually, when you deviate from that, the function part tends to suffer. But on the other hand, this should be a free world - if someone wants to sacrifice function to follow form, who am I to deny them?

damunoz32 07-16-2009 02:17 PM

I see what you're trying to say; and you do have a very good point.
However, seeing as how I'm only 16, I don't make enough income to afford two vehicles cause I'm saving up for college. So as of right now, I have to make do with what I have.

Does anyone know the real capabilities of a 2WD Wrangler?

Lil_Ape 07-16-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damunoz32 (Post 7591415)
I see what you're trying to say; and you do have a very good point.
However, seeing as how I'm only 16, I don't make enough income to afford two vehicles cause I'm saving up for college. So as of right now, I have to make do with what I have.

Does anyone know the real capabilities of a 2WD Wrangler?

Well any 2WD truck/SUV is capable offroad. But only to a certain level. Just put on a lift kit and bigger tires(maybe even a locker) and you're got a good offroad vehicle. I have a 2WD grand cherokee(my first vehicle also) and it's all stock. It does quite well offroad for a 2WD jeep. I would have liked to have a 4WD jeep but there weren't any available the dealership that i go to.

damunoz32 07-17-2009 11:06 AM

Hm. I shall test this after a few paychecks come in.

robtre 07-17-2009 11:09 AM

Death to the 2WD JEEP, if you buy it they will make more. Buy a 4WD drive Jeep or get a Toyota Rav4, those are equipped to go back and forth to the country club and the spa and soccer practice.

fullhouse 07-22-2009 08:36 PM

Its hard to get 2wd anymore... try to look in ebay. I think I see one.

2006_Sport 07-22-2009 09:39 PM

why a 2wd wrangler....what if your wife gets really stuck in a ditch and the rear wheels just keep spinning? 4wd saves you money on tow truck funds :thumbsup:

The time now is 08:37 AM.