2017 Wrangler Unlimited Winter Edition - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AftonJeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
BlownOne

2017 Wrangler Unlimited Winter Edition

Just bought a fully loaded granite Winter Edition for my fiancÚ two weeks ago from Dave Smith Motors in Idaho. It will be mostly used on the streets for daily purposes, but we will still go wheelin in it. I'll be doing a mild build on it keeping it on the oem plus side of things, which means just refining what it already has.

So far I've replaced the antenna with a black AntennaX 13" piece, interior lights, plate light and drl/front turn signals with 6k white leds. I have front fender smoked marker lights with white leds headed here tomorrow as well as a black stainless mesh grill insert. Juts tinted it yesterday with 5% around the rear and 35% on the driver/passenger fronts. Also, I'll be tinting the tail lights with vht night shades in the next day or two.

Stock bulb vs 6k Led bulb

Stock bulb vs 6k Led bulb

Sent from my iPhone using TapaIlf

Last edited by BlownOne; 08-03-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
BlownOne

I also couldn't stand the center brake light as it looks totally out of place, so I cut it off lol. It really cleans up the rear imo. I removed the spare, disconnected the wire harness from inside the rear door, removed the tire mount from the rig and cut it off near the base with a saw. Used my die grinder to round the edges of the cut and colored over the exposed aluminum with black. Cleaned it off and remounted everything. Pretty simple for anyone who wants to ditch the giraffe neck light hahaha.

post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
BlownOne

2017 Wrangler Unlimited Winter Edition

I also setup the rig for towing with a basic Reese 2" drop/ball with lock for the "max tow" package it came with. Usually we only tow my jet ski, but even that showed how underpowered these jeeps are and how their brakes could use some help, which brings me to my next mods. I'll be adding a Wilwood or Baer brake kit front/rear with steel braided lines to both make it look good and stop even better. As soon as she puts a few thousand miles on the clock then I'll be adding a Procharger P-1x to help this thing move out! All of my cars and toys are either supercharged or turbocharged, which explains my screen name lol.
Hitting the lake

post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 10:21 AM
AftonJeeper
Registered

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Mopar makes a big brake kit for the JK, it's standard on export models. I stuck them on mine with a set of Black Magic pads. Here is the thread if your interested. I'm the only guy in our group that can lock up 35's on dry pavement.
BlownOne likes this.

97 TJ, 4.0 Auto and 3.07's
17 JKUR, 3.6 Auto with 4.10's
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
BlownOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftonJeeper View Post
Mopar makes a big brake kit for the JK, it's standard on export models. I stuck them on mine with a set of if your interested. I'm the only guy in our group that can lock up 35's on dry pavement.

I thought I saw some oem upgraded brakes on Jeep website when I was originally building it. They had a bunch of parts spread out and pictured next to jk. Thanks for the input...how much does the molar bbk run?

post #6 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
BlownOne

Just checked out your link and it was $900 at the time you did it.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM
AftonJeeper
Registered

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I shopped around a bunch trying to get the best deal on it. Got the big brake kit for under 800, tossed the pads that came with it and put in the Black Magic pads. Ended up being on back order for 2 months and I wish I would have just ordered the kit from Black Magic and been done with it. Driving with 35s and stock brakes really sucked and pulling a trailer was plain stupid.

97 TJ, 4.0 Auto and 3.07's
17 JKUR, 3.6 Auto with 4.10's
post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
BlownOne

Yea I could see 35's making the underperforming brakes that much worse, especially towing. Thanks for the input brotha!

I'll try to keep this this thread updated with every mod I do to the jk...stay tuned!

post #9 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
BlownOne

Swapped out the orange front fender marker lights with tinted white led's. Looks pretty close to the granite color during the day and matches the led headlights/turn signals at night.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
BlownOne

Got her a black "bling" plate frame so it's girly, but not too girly lol

post #11 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM
leavercm
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
I also couldn't stand the center brake light as it looks totally out of place, so I cut it off lol. It really cleans up the rear imo. I removed the spare, disconnected the wire harness from inside the rear door, removed the tire mount from the rig and cut it off near the base with a saw. Used my die grinder to round the edges of the cut and colored over the exposed aluminum with black. Cleaned it off and remounted everything. Pretty simple for anyone who wants to ditch the giraffe neck light hahaha.
Not that I am an expert, but 3rd brake lights have been mandatory since 1986 for cars and 1991 for trucks. It might take some time before you get stopped and cited. Worse will be if you get rear-ended. It could very likely become your fault for not having the legally required signalling.

First-time Jeep owner. Please bear with me!

05 WK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, 2" lift (Sold!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.