2015 Unlimted Tuner Programmer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Trapdoor01

2015 Unlimted Tuner Programmer

I've been reading nothing but horror stories about locked ECM's & unsuccessful programming attempts. I tow a 3000 lbs trailer with my Wrangler & I'd like to do something about the shift points if nothing else. Increased power & fuel economy would be a plus but not necessary. The only current upgrades under the hood are an Airaid intake & throttle body spacer. Has anyone had success with the currently available tuner/programmers? If so, which one & are there any tricks I need to know about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 PM
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

You say shift points so i am thinking you have the auto. No you can not change the shift points on a W58o. That is not the trouble anyway. If you added larger tires that hurt towing ability and a Jk is a horrible tow rig anyway. Main thing is gears. If it has the 3.73 it is about as good as it gets(not enough). If it was a Rubi it could have 4.1, little better. wont tow more but would pull better. The air cleaner mode did nothing if it did not hurt some. As well as water intrusion is now more possible.

The w580 auto is a rather good trans. From my research though it gets REAL expensive to "build" one. The parts needed are all from AMG version of the trans that was used in the V8 AMG's. harder shifts mainly. Solenoid changes etc. The trans can handle more than the stick. its input is 427flbs . I just crawl with our JKR and tow it with a f250.

http://www.parker4wheelers.net
www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com
post #3 of 4 Old 01-03-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Trapdoor01

I've got the 3.73 gear and did add a slightly larger tire. I'm very familiar with all those things. It pulls fine but I'd like to see it shift a bit sooner. As far as the water intrusion, not an issue. This is a closed box system. Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Trapdoor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
You say shift points so i am thinking you have the auto. No you can not change the shift points on a W58o. That is not the trouble anyway. If you added larger tires that hurt towing ability and a Jk is a horrible tow rig anyway. Main thing is gears. If it has the 3.73 it is about as good as it gets(not enough). If it was a Rubi it could have 4.1, little better. wont tow more but would pull better. The air cleaner mode did nothing if it did not hurt some. As well as water intrusion is now more possible.

The w580 auto is a rather good trans. From my research though it gets REAL expensive to "build" one. The parts needed are all from AMG version of the trans that was used in the V8 AMG's. harder shifts mainly. Solenoid changes etc. The trans can handle more than the stick. its input is 427flbs . I just crawl with our JKR and tow it with a f250.

It seems the best I can do is manually shift it. It does shift when I want it to and not rev the ***** out of the engine. I'm well aware of the gear ratio issues after 43 years in the industry. I hadn't planned on towing a trailer with this, but sometimes life takes a different course than you had planned. The next trailer will be an all aluminum one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.