2000 jeep cherokee NEED INPUT! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > 2000 jeep cherokee NEED INPUT!

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
sk8zer0624
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2000 jeep cherokee NEED INPUT!

I just bought a STOCK black 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It has 150K but also has a lot of new parts
- new radiator
-new upper radiator hose
- new water pump
- new front L/R hub bearing
-new front L/R rotors & pads
-new Valve Cover Gasket
-New Platinum auto-lite spark-plugs
- New Duralast Coil Pack Rail
the heat stopped blowing hot air so i did a back-flush on the heater-core and put
-2 New heater-core lines "one going in, and one going out"
-4 New Cooper Discoverer ATR tires
The BAD
the fan switch doesn't work on setting #3 only 1,2,4 any ideas?
Needs shocks bad.
Is there anything else i should look out for that is known to go bad or break?

Also I want the truck to last and not break down or have any problems. Is putting a 3" lift on it as easy as it sounds? Will i be constantly blowing through U-Joints? Will I need to change the gears in the rears? Is it going to mess up the float for the gas tank? Will 4x4 work work properly or Could it start slipping out of gear?

sk8zer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Chace365
1999 XJ Cherokee 

2000-2001 has the 0331 head, which due to a casting defect (in some, not all) can cause the head to crack, causing coolant to get into the oil which could cause engine failure. How you ID the 0331 head, I still have yet to find out. Someone more experienced in the matter should be able to help with that.
New shocks can be found from many suppliers, but 9 times out of 10, the cheapest route ( for me locally anyway) is Monroe, around $30-35 a piece. Make sure you know that they fit before buying.
As far as the fan switch goes, use a voltmeter to check for shorts.
Anything to break?
AC vents (possibly). Mine lost a small tab on the inside that allowed it to move up and down.
Fog light lenses. I have seen many XJ's with cracked ones. I have been told by some that it could be considered improper equipment, but I haven't been pulled over yet, and mine also passed inspection.
Center console latch. The tab on the inside just broke off one day. Just something that happens.
Another thing is the drive shaft making a clunking noise and jerking when accelerating after a coming to a complete stop. This link right here will help you with that. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/g...ite-up-357569/
As far as the lift goes, 3" isn't too difficult. Make sure you use common sense when jacking up the vehicle (like using jacks and jack stands that are recommended for the vehicle's weight) Regearing is more than likely recommended, because of the increased tire size. Once again, more experienced owners should be able to help.

Hope I covered most if not all of what you needed help with.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.