1999 Jeep Wrangler starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > 1999 Jeep Wrangler starting problem

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
ctjim
1999 YJ Wrangler 

1999 Jeep Wrangler starting problem

Last week during the extremely hot weather I drove my Jeep on the interstate for approximately 40 miles with the air conditioning on high, when I reached my destination I left it running at my friends driveway approx. 5 minutes later when I came back out the Jeep was stalled (over 1/2 tank of gas) and would not start (battery had plenty of cranking power). I had to have it towed to a Jeep dealer, the next day they started it right up and ran it but could not duplicate the problem, nor were there any codes showing a fault. Now I am perplexed as to what caused this problem, vehicle is well maintained, has new exhaust system, sensors all check out, ignition switch was replaced (all work done by Jeep dealer) mileage 55,564, original miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any help

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

ctjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
ToledoDave

I dont remember much of that yr jeep but seems to me that was the 4.0 with fuel rail system? If so the only thing i can think of atm was the safty valve on the fuel rail i believe at the front. It has a little diaphram with a vacume line going to it. It relys on engine vacume to prove engine running to open valve for fuel flow. Maybe a vapor lock and or positive presure closed the valve and prevented fuel? Next time it happens. Check for fuel rail pressure and then for spark. Since you cant recreate now it will be hard to diagnose. I could be way off but def where i would start.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would check the Crankcase Position Sensor (CPS). They can work fine when cool, but if faulty a heat soaking will shut them down, causing a no start situation. After they sit awhile and cool down, then the jeep will start. They are not that expensive to replace. This happened to my YJ as well as my wifes Mercedes. Check it out.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.