you know you drive an XJ when.. - Page 467 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > you know you drive an XJ when..

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #6991
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes

Hah I didn't. And they will if you're pissed off enough lol he was so close for no reason, I could only see half his headlight in my rear view he was so close.
I found 4 or 5 locally for sale last night, trying to talk a friend into a Cherokee over a Wrangler haha. One was a straight mud bogger but was pretty clean considered, had a welded D44 rear and mini spool in the front on 33" boggers! Perfect for DD duty IMO

For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #6992
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
I found 4 or 5 locally for sale last night, trying to talk a friend into a Cherokee over a Wrangler haha. One was a straight mud bogger but was pretty clean considered, had a welded D44 rear and mini spool in the front on 33" boggers! Perfect for DD duty IMO
Lol xj>tj any day! When I wheel a tj I feel like I'm 50' behind the front tire lol

I like my open rears makes things more of a challenge lol and it's not like I don't wheel mine or anything lol

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #6993
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

When the tire shop calls you to let you know they didn't put your tires on because they couldn't get your Jeep started.
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #6994
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Going through Costco and I see "Salt Eraser". I say "screw that, I want Rust Eraser!" Wife replies "Yes honey but then you wouldn't have any Jeep left"

It hurts, but it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redXJhorse View Post
When the tire shop calls you to let you know they didn't put your tires on because they couldn't get your Jeep started.
NSS? lol
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #6995
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When you put in a brand new fuel pump and still have to pump the gas to start it

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

94 motor, 4.5" and 35s
xjlife101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #6996
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysirsalad View Post
Going through Costco and I see "Salt Eraser". I say "screw that, I want Rust Eraser!" Wife replies "Yes honey but then you wouldn't have any Jeep left"

It hurts, but it's true.

NSS? lol
Yeah, thats been bad for 3 weeks now, i by passed it and installed push button start, ran wires directly to the starter and from the 12V power in the dash. Only downfall is it can be started in any gear, and the key doesn't do much since you can still turn the tumblers with your hand.
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #6997
jad95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

When you watch your oil pressure and temp gauge like a hawk.
When the gauge says 0 oil pressure you automatically slap a new oil sending unit on because it's the 10th time it's happened
when you're friends' jaws hit the floor when they hear you and other jeepers saying their cherokee with 175k on it is "just broken in"
When you have to go thru the ritual of shaking the gear shift in park to get your jeep to start.
When, despite trying to explain, friends still don't understand what you see in that "noisy, inefficient, slow box of yours" some people never get it haha
jad95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #6998
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stop shaking the selector and replace or refurbish the neutral/park/switch. Easy fix
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #6999
jad95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingII View Post
Stop shaking the selector and replace or refurbish the neutral/park/switch. Easy fix
Yeah, we've tried for a couple years. It works great for about 3 months but acts up again. Been thru 4 of them. I think i'm gonna try to clean this one. and check the alignment of that arrow.
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #7000
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can't speak to the >98 model year but that switch technology is on par with the slot cars of yesteryear. The contact points or shoes are encased in dielectric grease. Tiny springs supply pressure for engagement. Over time the grease stiffens with gunk and the contact points get "bound up" in the race. Clean out the old grease, clean the contacts with an eraser or steel wool, replace the grease and reassemble.
The whole procedure is spelled out in detail with pics and everything here and most likely on every jeep forum.
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #7001
jad95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Can't speak to the >98 model year but that switch technology is on par with the slot cars of yesteryear. The contact points or shoes are encased in dielectric grease. Tiny springs supply pressure for engagement. Over time the grease stiffens with gunk and the contact points get "bound up" in the race. Clean out the old grease, clean the contacts with an eraser or steel wool, replace the grease and reassemble.
The whole procedure is spelled out in detail with pics and everything here and most likely on every jeep forum.
Thanks man I appreciate it! When i get my jeep back ill check it out. I'm at college and freshmen can't have cars on campus
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #7002
NiCk-
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redXJhorse View Post
Yeah, thats been bad for 3 weeks now, i by passed it and installed push button start, ran wires directly to the starter and from the 12V power in the dash. Only downfall is it can be started in any gear, and the key doesn't do much since you can still turn the tumblers with your hand.

Just had to replace mine after it completely went out and couldn't start after going back and forth between park and neutral. Good bye $300

RC 4.5" with ADJ. Trac Bar
33" BFG All Terrains on Cragar Soft 8's
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #7003
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/NeutralSafe...FZPm7Aodo0QApA
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #7004
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCk-
Just had to replace mine after it completely went out and couldn't start after going back and forth between park and neutral. Good bye $300
27 dollars for a push button and an inline fuse. Spent the other 270 on beers.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #7005
chris87xj
Administrator

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's a pretty good price.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.